It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welder?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:21 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

I'm looking to buy a welder in the next few months and wanting to do some homework. I was wanting your guys opinions on make, model, size? I don't need top of the line but I want something that will do what I need and be dependable. I would rather spend more money now and buy the right thing than buy something too small and regret it later. I always wanted one but could never justify it in my mind to buy one. I'm not going to be building frames but will want to modify mine at some point. Not liking my roof as it is. I'm kinda diggin the flat roofs. And will want to go suby sooner or later.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Welder?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:43 pm 

Get something 220v w/ gas and infinite adjustability (not "A" "B" "C" settings)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Unfortunately, I can only tell you what NOT to buy. I have an ARC welder that requires a 220 plug. I would stay away from ARC welders. The MIG or TIG welders are much easier to use. I only have my ARC welder because it was handed down from my father and it reminds me of when we used to work in the garage together.

Just my opinion..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:56 pm 
WB Contributor

I have a Snap-on mm250sl. It has been the welder I have used. Next to thatg I like the Lincoln or Miller. The Snap on is an idustrial welder and priced so, Lincoln an miller are priced down by half. The main difference is the transformer is copper in the snap on and aluminum in the others. That means 100% duty cycle with snap on and 60% with others. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:57 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Depending on what you want to do with your welder, I would actually disagree with TrackerCasey. I wish I had a 110V welder. It would be much easier to move around and use in other areas. It is very difficult to always find a 220V plug is some places. When I go to friends houses to weld something for them, I end up bringing this huge extension cord to plug into their dryer plug.

However, I am sure you loose some performance by going to 110V. It really depends on what you are going to be welding..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:37 pm 
WB Videographer

i have a lincoln 110 volt mig,it does a really good job,also u can get a roll of aluminum wire and 100%argon and weld aluminum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 am 

Miller has great little welder out right now called the miller 140 which is a 110v welder with a auto set feature and they have miller 180 which is 220v auto set. geat little welder I have used both at work. check out millerwelds.com i can give you a guys number that does our welders at work he might cut you a deal I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 am 

I have the perfect welder for ya.. Its a craftsman 220 with all teh settings. Also it is set up for gas. I really have no need for it now that most my welding is done, the little welding left i can do with my dads welder. If interested let me know i paid around $850 i wanna say, I have all the reciepts its about a year old only had about three rolls ran through it. I have the cart and everything that came with it Manuel,cart,mask,hammer thing, all reciepts. I will let it go for half of what i paid for it. which i will check the reciepts if your interested PM me..
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:32 am 

just my two cents i have a HTP mig welder its 110v 140 amp and has a copper core. the welder has a very stable arc that offsets my very unstable hand and is very forgiving in improperly cleaned metal. not that any of us try to weld threw rust :roll: ive had mine for 6 years now and it has been good to me. just my thoughts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:21 am 
BOTM Winner

No question, miller 180. I have had several of these through the years (172, 175, 180). It is one of the best welders for what we do. I have turned three or four people onto this welder, and they love it. 230 volt, 180 amp, it has auto-set, if you want to use it, it also has a "plug and play" spoolgun available for it. o-yea, the only reason i have had several is they keep getting stolen on job sites. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:53 am 
BOTM Winner

I use a Lincoln SP175 Mig machine. It is the model before the 180. It works well and is priced right. I bought mine new for around $500.00 w/ cart shipped off Ebay when the 180 was introduced. You may still find them on Ebay..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:03 am 
BOTM Winner

Dont limit yourself, Get a 220v /250 amp mig and a 110v 140amp mig, a tig welder of about 180 amps and an old buz box :mrgreen: You will use the 220v250amp mig the most :roll: the 110 will be used outside gassless where there is no 220 around, The tig welder will be used only on sensitive critical stuff and thinner aluminum.The buz box is for the kids to play with and for "bait" when someone wants to borrow/last resort bakup welder? And dont forget to get a plasma cutter while you are at it 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:09 pm 

I have the lincoln 180, it does the job. 220v, plenty of juice for the heavy stuff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I think Kendel has the right idea... :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:07 pm 
Master fabricator

I have a Millermatic 135, 110v welder. I do not have access to 230v so 110v had to do. I welded my front trailing arms and spindles with it, no poroblem. I welded my entire chassis with it, I figured 110v is everywhere, not so with 230v. As long you KNOW how to weld a lighter machine works just fine. If I need to do anything heavy, I have a 800 amp MIG, a 400 amp TIG and a plasma cutter that will cut 1inch mild steel at work, weld anything I need to.

G
A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:22 am 
BOTM Winner

MadMike wrote:
I have a Millermatic 135, 110v welder. I do not have access to 230v so 110v had to do. I welded my front trailing arms and spindles with it, no poroblem. I welded my entire chassis with it, I figured 110v is everywhere, not so with 230v. As long you KNOW how to weld a lighter machine works just fine. If I need to do anything heavy, I have a 800 amp MIG, a 400 amp TIG and a plasma cutter that will cut 1inch mild steel at work, weld anything I need to.

Not all of us are master Welders like you Mike. We need all the help we can get. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am 
BOTM Winner

I've got a miller passport that I keep in my service truck. It is 110v and 230v, and has a little co2 bottle inside it. It 's a self contained suitcase welder, so it is easy to move around and light.i believe its an 180amp welder. On the downside I think it was around $1500. If you know what your doing, and with enough prep work, you can weld anything for a buggy with a 110v welder.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:29 am 

I agree with RaceBugg1098, I have a Lincoln 110v mig setup and as long as I have made the right wire choice the thing runs great. My next purchase will be a 220 Lincoln unit, you can always turn it down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:46 am 

I have a hobart betamig 250 220v its got infinite adjustment, a 110 mig, and a old montgomery wards220 arc. from experience the arc works great for heavy stuff down to sheet metal but mine will go down to 20 amp, the 110 mig is ok I just don,t trust it for penetration, the hobart I bought last year for $600 and it was on its original spool of wire its a great welder al around. I would suggest buying a used 220v mig unless you plan on welding for a living then buy new. the popularit of tigs have grown the have there upsides and down they are used alot in body work because the welds are softer and they dont spread out the heat less chance of warpage. but you have to make sure the tip doesn't get dirty or you have to replace it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:00 pm 

I have a miller 175 and I'm very happy with it. If you going to weld anything thicker than 1/4 in go ahead and step up to the next larger size unit.

John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:06 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Thanks everyone for the input!! So it looks like its down to a Miller 140 or the 180. I have room in the panel box to add the 220 in my garage but I like the idea of a 120 welder. Right now I'm leaning towards the 180. The only downside I see is portability but I see alot of advantages of having the extra amps.

Appreciate all the help!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:29 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

am I the only one still using a clothes hanger and a tortch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:57 pm 

your not alone rock -- i used wire and torches to weld my gas tank - then brazed over the welds ( my mig was just melting through - i made my tank out of helium tanks)

I love my country, But i fear my government

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 pm 
BOTM Winner

2 car batterys and some penies works 4 me!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:45 pm 

I don't care what ya'll say the best welder is made by J-B weld. It's holding my seatbelts in pretty good. But what is all this 110v and 220v stuff your talking about?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication