It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 pm 
WB Contributor

B4 I cut the 1st piece of aluminum I have to see what the interest level is. I have a killer design for Honda motors and trans to sit exactly where an a/c went. A chain sprocket set up will go between the Honda trans output shafts and the already existing c/v joints on any buggy. The setup will be dead centered between the tires and give an inch or 2 of ground height. Gas tank and oil cooler (actually the oil cooler can be tossed) can stay put. Replace the racing fuel in the tank with 93 octane. 2.2, 16 valve, 168 hp ran in an all aluminum motor and auto trans thru gear reduction. I can make this adapter, with mounts that bolt to the 2 lg bolts behind the stock vw wishbone, for$1k just in machine work and parts. To beat the baddest a/c's today, you either have to out spend them or re-invent. Maybe it will breathe a new life into buggies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:21 pm 

dave, im not trying to be a downer here but the one seater guys are making over 200hp, in an all aluminum case.. no radiator, adapter, chains and sprockets needed :twisted: bolt to the trans, take some of the $1000 dollars you didnt have to spend and buy some fast gas and go blast some hills.. nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, but chaindrives are old tech too..the 4x4 guys spend 100k to climb the same dirt hill a 12k buggy smokes without batting an eye.. if you cant beat em, join em.. just my .02

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 pm 
WB Contributor

Reno. Thanks for the reply. It's about something new and much cheaper. I'm also thinking about the future when there are no bus trans. For the average guy 168 hp is too much. Put a single seater on a jeep trail and he is done and vice versa. Most people I talk to have NO money. Those are the ones I am mostly focused on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:44 pm 

With KEP adaptors in the $500 range to hang a Honda on a VW style transaxle what are you including for a $1000 :?:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:30 pm 

Bubbalowe wrote:
With KEP adaptors in the $500 range to hang a Honda on a VW style transaxle what are you including for a $1000 :?:

i think he is talking about using the auto trans already hooked to the motor :?: and making an adapter to bolt to the end of the wishbone on vw torsion.. i see where dave is coming from, trying to innovate and move the sport forward, but if you want people to follow you gotta build it and lead the way.. nobody is going to change to something that they already out run/climb... take chaindrive for instance :idea: mr. burns designed, built and tested it and nobody could keep up but it cost big $$$, then marty (correct me if im wrong) designed his baby chains, and it worked like a champ, thats innovation.. then bubbalowe took martys idea, cleaned it up and simplified it and look how well it does 8) its very affordable and can be adapted to an existing buggy (he made it appealing and marketable).. the thing about VW is that everything can be bought aftermarket i.e. engine and trans cases, torsions, arms, spindles etc

installing a 24 valve, fuel injected v6 with 200+ hp would be the shit especially hooked to an automatic.. but you gotta do it so it will out run the few and appeal to the masses 8) 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:35 pm 

If you're using the motor and trans together then there isn't an adaptor per se but custom mounts like an engine swap uses? I was thinking for the amount of money he was talking about there were sprockets or axles or whatever else is needed for the conversion? "Build it and they will come"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:16 pm 
WB Contributor

Quote:
installing a 24 valve, fuel injected v6 with 200+ hp would be the shit especially hooked to an automatic.. but you gotta do it so it will out run the few and appeal to the masses 8) 8)

I say don't knock the 24 Valve V6 Honda until you have gotten to flog one or ride in one. One word Vtec. I would agree that slapping it in a factory built chassis that wasn't built with the CG shifted to allow for a heavier engine in the rear then you are right. Those of us dark siders that is serious about our craft build cars that are designed to make the extra weight a non issue. Transmission longevity with out Weedle gears is not wise. It is hard to beat the Honda V6 for HP and torque to weight ratio, no power adders of forced induction just bone stock power.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 pm 
WB Contributor

Hey guys. Thanks for all the - and +. I know all about the a/c hard to beat. I have had a vw since 1977 and 1st got in a buggy in 71.I am trying to get the hp up and the price down. Work with me. I have built many a buggy straight off the UPS truck.PWee Herman can do that. In WW2 the British and Americans had the 1st jet, but allied generals were dead set on propellers until the germans parted their hair. The message here is keep moving forward.I enjoy the new single seat cliff climbers aswell as the rutted out climbers. I went to Reno and Las Vegas Nevada twice back in the 90's and they had Porsche 911 Carrera 6 cyl hogged out heads blocks cams pistons in a glass case. I was convinced back then that east of the Mississippi was in the stone age.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 am 

Red Barron wrote:
Quote:

I say don't knock the 24 Valve V6 Honda until you have gotten to flog one or ride in one. One word Vtec. I would agree that slapping it in a factory built chassis that wasn't built with the CG shifted to allow for a heavier engine in the rear then you are right. Those of us dark siders that is serious about our craft build cars that are designed to make the extra weight a non issue. Transmission longevity with out Weedle gears is not wise. It is hard to beat the Honda V6 for HP and torque to weight ratio, no power adders of forced induction just bone stock power.

wasnt knocking WC, was saying 200+ hp w/ automatic would be awesome if you could make it work.. and it has been done with turbo suby/power glide and rear independent diff, but are there any automatics that are rear engine , transaxle style w/o chains and sprockets that where competitive?? dvs1's buggy is the only one i can think of, and it was ultimately changed because the gearing was too high for the woods.. least thats what i read, but have a set up same as his with vtec or ecotec with a trans geared for the woods :idea: that would be an innovation that is sure to draw attention 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:40 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
Dave , build it ! As they say lead , follow or just get out the way !
With that being said you lead , and ill follow as you build it .
If it don't work then ya need to get out da way :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:53 am 
WB Contributor

thanks, but how could it not work.lol. It's like we all come down to cross a muddy creek and someone says,"I hope there aren'nt any aligators in here." Well there I go, swimming across to lead the way and GULP.Dave's gone. The crowd says what a dumb a$$. But if I make it across , I am the bravest, coolest hero. Aparently no one wants to cross the creek so I'll leave it alone. Enjoy your Chinese cheese and your California crap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:08 am 
WB Contributor

Bubbalowe wrote:

You know the spill. $200 starter, $300 clutch n press. plate, $400 diff, oil cooler, a motor that stays at 180 degrees all day. and I have never broke a fwd trans. I've busted over 25 bus trans in my day. And any desired final drive. Sprockets can easily be swapped out for other sizes. Salvage motor/trans for what you'd pay for dual carbs. .....! If you already have a great a/c then keep on keepin on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:24 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

How can you talk crap about people that won't build what your preaching when you won't build it for your self. Nobody's knocking on your idea just saying You build it and show us it's as good or better than what we got and then you might get some followers. Without something other than just a thought in your head and expect someone to buy it for a 1000.00 and then have to get a motor,trans,build it themselves and work the bugs out for it to work is insane. We know you can post pics now and vids and all have been waiting to see the stuff you've claimed to be so much cheaper and better and the future of buggies yet it never seems to get seen. Quit talking and start showing. Prove it's the better bang for the buck and I'm sure someone will follow. Not hating on the idea just wanting to see it instead of hearing about it. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 pm 
WB Contributor

Stop stop stop... cease. I am just asking what the intrest level is. I already know I am a mf. It will work and it will be dangerous. I have a yard full of all kinds of buggys. B4 I add one more I need to know weather to make a jig or just build my own. The new guys won't speak up because they are waiting on the king's nod. June 13th I took the wife out to film the baby chains and the Passat and I ran over her while she was behind the camera. She must have a 4th surgery next week on her destroyed wrist. You can like it or hate it. The big dogs of today are 1 seaters. Name 1 thing they have other than weedle gears that we did not have in the 80's. I'll tell you one.SMOOOOTH hills.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:24 pm 

More horse power, better gearing, better suspension, and better tires
Lol

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:57 pm 

2800passat wrote:
it will be dangerous. .

yes it will.. i will be sure and bring a fire extinguisher :lol: :lol: :lol: all jokes aside dave, nobody here thinks you are an MF.. maybe a crazy one but not in the literal sense. i have personally seen your builds and seen how "dangerous" they are, and the original wedge was by far the baddest :twisted: yes it would break a trans on command but have you ever considered how heavy it was :idea: weight plays a big factor in the stresses in a drivetrain. maybe something built out of lighter tubing, and not 2x3 square tubing thats 1/4" thick, would help with breaking all the time.. a lighter motor combo would help too, like an aluminum v6 vs a cast iron buick.. im jus rambling here but there is definitely interest in your projects, other wise the only response you would get is the crickets out in the yard.. keep at it you crazy mofo, we'll scrub tires soon enough 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:44 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks reno. It is heavy (1/8 wall and 2x2) but it does not even compare to a real chain drive. Come out to Leeds and I will put you in it. It smokes the worst long hill and niga bridge in 2nd. 3884 cc's will turn some tires. It's the grip, but I cut my 40's 3 weeks ago. The wedge is a contender but my cods are not.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:31 am 

Passat looked like it was spinning in lower gear at biscuit. IMO better tires on it , with low air pressure it should crawl up hills . Imo

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication