It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 am 

I'm getting close to being able to start installing my bags. Unfortunately I'm seeing some issues, like usual, one thing leads to another and another and so on.
Last night I managed to install my longtravel conversion I got from Appletree. They make it themselves and I found out it is not just a bolt-on part but needs to be tweaked to get bolt holes to line up. They told me there's two different torsion styles and they split the difference. I would have been happier with no holes because drilling out their plasma cut holes was hard on my bits. Anyway I also got a wheel mounted on the driverside.
Looking at the distance my tire has from the frame leaves about 2 maybe 3 inches to squeeze a shock inbetween.
I considering lopping off the stock upper shock mount ear that comes off the torsion because it no longer does anything. That would open up more area closer to the end of the arm to mount an airbag. I haven't received the bags yet so I guestimating size.

Can anyone tell me how fat their 3800 gets under full compression?

So my thoughts right now are on how cutting that shock mount ear off will affect anything and where the heck I'm gonna squeeze a shock in or perhaps change my rim offset...

As always experienced suggestions are appreciated..

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 am 
BOTM Winner

Pictures speak volumes!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:08 pm 

I know... I thought I had some on the phone. My bags will be in tonight and I'll try to get some pics to make this interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:29 pm 

well this is what I got for bags today. It's what I was picturing but wrong brand and 2600# not 3800# like the ad said. Oh and there's a puncture in one to boot. Worthless. Gonna find out what happened... soon hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:41 pm 

I'd ship those back and just order the 3800# from airbagit.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:46 pm 

fortydegnorth wrote:
I'd ship those back and just order the 3800# from airbagit.

I'm waiting to see what they say. But that's my next move.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:49 pm 

OK this is what I'm thinking.
cut where the red lines are and place bag where the blue scribble is. It's either that or with my tire clearance maybe keep shock there and move bag forward. I don't like that though because it makes boxing in the arm more complicated.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 pm 

Are ther any cons to making the shock mount to the rear of the hub on a boxed in arm and running inside of the frame hoops?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:59 pm 

Update on the bags, quick response:
Quote:
I am not even sure how that is possible to send that to you, or what happened there. But I will make sure to get the problem corrected and the correct bag out to you. I a very sorry for the inconvienence!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:01 pm 

My string of bad luck has to come to an end eventually. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:15 pm 

Send them things back and do what everyone has told you to do and order them from airbagit, if they send you 3800 bags with open ends like the ones you already received they will never work or hold pressure, when u ask for advise on were to get them u should probably listen!!!! The correct bags have formed in metal ends with threaded mounting holes !!! The only style bags that will work for what we use them for

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:00 pm 

I'm pretty sure you want the bags to be in the first third of the trailing arm closest to the torsion housing. Seems like your drawing would have them to far out towards the wheel. I'm no expert though and I've never installed a set.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 pm 

4 of my buddies got the 3800 from airbagit very pleased with them so far. Looks to me like its the way to go

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:48 pm 

fortydegnorth wrote:
I'm pretty sure you want the bags to be in the first third of the trailing arm closest to the torsion housing. Seems like your drawing would have them to far out towards the wheel. I'm no expert though and I've never installed a set.

I'm just thinking the load on the arm is better distributed at the end of the arm. Further out from the pivot you have more leverage. Instead of pushing down more at the fixed end your hitting it with close to the same leverage point as the wheel/terrain has. It's really no different than any other spring ie. coilovers. Just usually the real estate is taken up by shocks. In the end I think it'll prolly end up being positioned more in the middle. Just had an opportunity to try something different so I had to ask and see if any one had tried it.

As for the mounting plates some of you want to yell at me about, I find it ironic you can build monster buggies yet some threaded bolts sticking out of a plate would stop you from thinking you could do it yourself. Your welcome to think I'm an ass for doing it this way. Air bags don't seem to be all that complicated in and of themselves. The way I see things is if everyone always did things the same nothing would ever change. So flame on. :lol: It's all good.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:46 am 
Master fabricator

Orangecrusher wrote:
My string of bad luck has to come to an end eventually. :roll:

Your "bad luck" is directly proportional to your inability to take educated and experienced suggestions, which you asked for, and totally ignore them. Because you wanted to try something different and order just the bag sleeves you actually made the fabrication a lot more difficult than it needed to be. Are you a machinist? Unless you are I doubt very seriously you will be able to duplicate the bolt circle needed to mount the sleeves to a plate, then mount the plate, keep everything air tight AND then do it 4 times.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: bag question

Postby Orangecrusher » Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 am
I appreciate the responses but I don't think you understand. These are the same airbags as from airbagit, just says those plates are not included. I figured someone who's bought the whole deal or maybe even these 'fabricator only kits' would know what I'm talking about and tell if there's anything special about the end plates that makes them necessary and save me the hassle of buying the wrong thing. I don't see how it could matter. Common sense tells me the 'rings' they speak of are what bolt the bag down at each end and a flat plate can easily be made to mount them too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand one thing. YOU don't understand. I (we) tried saving you the hassle, advice you ignored that lead you to where your at now. Obviously they are not the same bags from airbagit.com, the 3800 is a part number not a bag capacity. Congratulations, you have thoroughly convinced me (us) that you have NO idea what your doing, at all, about anything. Putting air bags on stock arms, really?

One last thing there is no such thing as a "long travel" anything with stock arms

G
A

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 am 

Bag are simple but you have managed to f em up completely because you not able to open your eyes , oh and there threaded holes not bolts, and you better learn to watch what you say and remember we were trying to help and take time out of our days to help a fellow buggy guy but if you dont want to listen to our advice then why are you on here? I was trying to help not yell but guess your to dumb to realise that....

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:17 am 

Yeah blah blah. I wasn't gonna go there but if you guys insist on putting me down that's fine. You really have no idea how to listen. Anyone can read the specs and see 3800 is a 5000lb bag, big fin deal. No one ever showed me any reason I couldn't do this you just insisted I wouldn't be able to and without any more detail than than just a bunch of chastising. But I'm sure you'll have some assumption about my knowledge/skill to comment on just because I like to ask simple questions. I'm obviously asking for too much around here so I'm done bothering with a bunch of snobby jackasses. To the couple of people who didn't feel like treating me like a dumb teenager thank you. I appreciate what little I gleaned from this site in the short time I've been around. It's just so easy to ignore someone you don't like on the internet, I don't understand why that's so hard for people to do on this site.
Have fun with your hills.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 am 

Noone is tryin to be a dick on here just tryin to steer people in the right direction. There are a lot of great people on this site that want to help. We have all wasted shit tons of money on shit that don't work .example we tried firestone bags guess what they don't work. Got on here asked . And now have 38000 and they work. So when a ? Is posted on here I have found you. Will get steered in the right directiion just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:57 am 

Orange,

I agree on trying something different. I'm rebuilding my front end on my buggy a little different than others.
Sometimes I don't know if the extra work is worth it thou. I sometimes think that I should of just went with parts that have been proven to work together and be done with it. That doesn't mean my stuff wont work it's just maybe doing it the other way is a lot easier.

A lot of the guys on here have tried a lot on different things and there knowledge can save you time and money, you know, been there, done that kind of think.

Norm

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:31 am 
BOTM Winner

The difference between a Wise man and a Smart man is the wise man has been there and done that and the smart man learns by the wise mans mistakes. If your not in one of these catagorys you are doomed to repeat mistakes over and over! :roll: Nuff said! :|

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 am 

hate to see ya leave the site hope you reconsider and good luck with your build

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:07 am 

Orange, maybe what you think are snobby assholes may actually be salty old vets that don't just sit by when you ask them a question? I'm just glad they let me hang around and put up with the stupid shit I do.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:39 pm 
WB Contributor

Orange please do not get pissed off the guys are very interested in sharing knowledge. They do want you to succeed and most have already done the R&D so look at some of the airbag threads and get bags from wherever but get a set setup to make installation work in a VW style suspension. Keep in mind that the rear suspension travels in an arc not just up and down.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:04 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Ody you read my mind ....Could not have said it better!!!Orange dude you should not take what Mad Mike said as necessarily a bad thing listen to experience and Damn good advice it pays in the long run
Odyknuck wrote:
The difference between a Wise man and a Smart man is the wise man has been there and done that and the smart man learns by the wise mans mistakes. If your not in one of these catagorys you are doomed to repeat mistakes over and over! :roll: Nuff said! :|

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:57 pm 
WB Contributor

mike gave me a hard time before...no big deal...man up, put your big girl panties on and just mount the damn bags

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication