It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eastwood Tube notcher
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:00 am 

Ok, I'm feeling real dumb because I cant finger out how they want you to mount hole saws on this dang thing! It would seem like you'd need to use a fine pitch bolt through the hole saw into the arbor but why the heck the thing didn't come with one I don't know. I notice most brand notchers are the exact same thing so somebody ought to be able to shed some light on this for me. I also remember reading something in the instructions saying there are special saws made just for notchers. I'm thinking they are just dumbing it down for people because in all the pictures they have they show the same dang type of saws I have that you can buy from anywhere! These instructions really suck. How does the saw attach to the arbor? I can't believe it's this complicated. lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:29 am 

Just buy a hole saw with a threaded body to accept the arbor. It just screws on. I use the orange hole saws from Home Depot and they last a long time. A couple buggies so far and only on the second hole saw. Spray a little WD-40 or cutting oil on it every cut.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:06 am 

The hole saws are not the problem. I don't see where I can screw them on. It came with a threaded adapter but even with this I'm left with a threaded hole too. Threaded hole in arbor and threaded hole in saw do not go together no what I mean? I must be missing a threaded shaft that screws into the bottom of the arbor. Like I said this just doesn't make any sense. Maybe I'll email the company. Strange thing is no where in the destructions does it show or mention how the saw attaches, only what the adapter does. That's why I was wondering if I need to get a bolt to thread up through the saw into the arbor or something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
The arbor that the drill is hooked to should have a male threads at the opposite end ....
That the holesaw threads directly to .
Does it not ?
Also when doing large angles you need deeper holesaws cause the shallow ones will bottom out . Example a 1 1/2 tube on a 30 degree angle with become 1 5/8 or so ....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:55 pm 

Right. I got nothing with male threads. I emailed Eastwood. We'll see what their excuse is. I may just have to find a fine thread bolt to use for now...? Might be better anyway?

Thanks for the confirmation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:04 pm 

Orange,
Eastwood is in my back yard, if u want I can go ruff them up for u, I even have a buddy that works there if u need additional help...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 pm 

Thanks i appreciate that. I haven't heard back yet but I'll give it a day or two. Maybe check the box a fifth time when I get home and see if I missed a part in there.

Love your avatar BTW, he was a sad man who couldn't see the good in his life. RIP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:40 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Orangecrusher wrote:
Love your avatar BTW, he was a sad man who couldn't see the good in his life. RIP

agreed, I wander though just how many other folks realize or even know who the avatar is 8)

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:32 am 

U two r the first to comment on it..
I have the same avatar over at thesamba.
He was a funny guy...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:24 am 

Update
. I'm an idiot. Yes. I know, it's hard to believe. But unless someone snuck into my garage while I was at work yesterday and changed out my Arbor, or it grew threads on it's own when I wasn't lookin', evidently I had too much homebrew and couldn't see straight. Most likely the last. I'm all good. I think what I did was thread that little adapter on backwards by feel without looking at the thing closely and then the nut on the end of the adapter threw me off when I did look at it. Still baffles me how I could miss it.
Sorry to cry wolf. I hate that. lol
I have a box of Greenlee hole saws, most new, that I've accumulated over the years doing electrical work and not a single one of the dozen or so match the 1.5" O.D. of the tube I wanna cut. Figures. lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:26 am 

gotta get my TIG gas refilled after work tonite so I can put this thing to the test this weekend notching some tube for reinforcing the upper rollcage in the back of the buggy this weekend. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:46 am 

Sounds like most of my problems. Operator error! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 am 

I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong, which makes it easier when I tell other people when they're wrong. lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am 

Let us know how that Notcher works I'm getting ready to buy one ....affordable bender has one but they are $189.00 eastwood on ebay is $79.00 so let me kmow for sure what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

those notchers work great i used it for years. i had no problems with it . got mine from grainger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:06 pm 

afterburnt wrote:
those notchers work great i used it for years. i had no problems with it . got mine from grainger

I got a grainger down the road ..i will give them a call to see what there price is and if they got one in stock thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:02 am 

It worked good. It took me a bit to get the right measurements, most of the problems I had were operator error. I ended up doing four notches but a couple I had to re-notch a couple times. Only thing I didn't care for is some times the whole thing would get a wobble to it, not the bit, but the entire unit. I'm not really crazy about the mounting arrangement. You can never tighten it completely because there's only one bolt holding it from pivoting in either direction. I may drill/tap for a couple more bolts to keep the base from pivoting. I have mine mounted to my workbench vertically but I think it would be easier mounted horizontally. Also your gonna want an adjustable saw horse to hold the end of the tubing if you're notching long pieces.
It was definitely better than notching with a grinder. Just have to get better tools for measuring angle and such.
You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a stinkin magnetic protractor/level in my neck of the woods!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 pm 

Home depot sells the angle finder I think. Harbor Freight has cheap ones too

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:15 pm 

HD just moved out of my town couple years ago. Lowes didn't even have a plain protractor.-the problem with big box stores.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:09 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

sears usually has them also, plus they have a very short digital level

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 am 
WB Contributor

I use my phone :shock: if you have a decent cell phone you can download an angle finder app that also has several types of bubble levels. the one i got is called leveler but if you just search angle finder a bunch will pop up. if you need to measure angle on a horizontal plane just download a compass app.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 am 

^ That's funny cuz I have that app and never thought of that. With my luck I'd set it on a tube I just finished welding and melt my $60 case all over it. lol
I work in a bigger city that has many stores that I could buy tools like these from, but after work all I want to do is race home and then I remember what I needed and spend the night searching worthless hardware stores geared towards farmers. I'll get my act together one of these days...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:46 pm 

Update:
The other day I was notching tube for my IRS conversion, a 2.5" notch and the threaded adapter that attaches the saw to the arbor stripped out. I gotta find out what I need to do to get that replaced. I had only notched about five tubes with it before that... Kinda disappointing quality but I heard others with same issue..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 pm 

I think 2-1/8 is the biggest you can notch in tubing... just bought one and notched a bunch with it worked great are you using good cutting oil :?:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication