It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:02 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Micro Stubs??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Looking at a future trailing arm setup and considering micro stubs. Any and all opinions as well as sugestions on what to look at would be helpfull.

Post subject: Re: Micro Stubs??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:09 am 

Tatum or Race Trim are pretty much your choices. The Tatum has an "in-house" version of a 4 piston wilwood and a re-buildable bearing housing. The Race Trim gets you heavier rotor and real wilwood caliper but no serviceable bearing. I tried the Race Trim on Rear and Tatum on Front. So far satisfied with both.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 am 
BOTM Winner

The Micro stub does allow for a little more travel however I prefer the standard stub axel for the longer distance between the bearings that adds more strength for the riding we do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:10 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Odyknuck wrote:
The Micro stub does allow for a little more travel however I prefer the standard stub axel for the longer distance between the bearings that adds more strength for the riding we do.

Steve I heard they dont have as much strength side to side. Just trying to weigh options. I have those jamar Hubs you told me to buy from the Samba last year, but I need to build new arms to use them. And they will also require new arms of some sort.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:13 pm 
BOTM Winner

I havent had any problem with my race trim micro stubs. I put ALOT of miles on them and only replaced one bearing. The bearing didnt go bad, I just hit someone hard enough to bend everything else up on that side, so I replaced it to avoid problems down the road. As for the strength compared to stock, I believe it is alot stronger. My only problem with them is the willwood caliper. Several guys I race with have the same setup as me, and all of us have issues with the rear brakes. I think the mount flexes allowing the disk to push the pads back giving you crappy brake response.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

if you have the hubs then make the arms . i made a set for mine and we just made a set for jason there not that hard to make . i have a jig for chevy hub arms that are 4x4s . look at my odd posts you will see how i did it . jason has the arms that DVS1 made for his chevy 8 lug setup that was made out of box tubeing.he is not useing them maybe you can make them work .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:10 pm 
BOTM Winner

RaceBugg1098 wrote:
I havent had any problem with my race trim micro stubs. I put ALOT of miles on them and only replaced one bearing. The bearing didnt go bad, I just hit someone hard enough to bend everything else up on that side, so I replaced it to avoid problems down the road. As for the strength compared to stock, I believe it is alot stronger. My only problem with them is the willwood caliper. Several guys I race with have the same setup as me, and all of us have issues with the rear brakes. I think the mount flexes allowing the disk to push the pads back giving you crappy brake response.

Thats good to know. Do they use back to back Timken tapers? I dont recall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:37 pm 
BOTM Winner

I have no idea what the bearings are. I hve tried and tried to cross them over with no luck. They are very similar to a chevy 2500 4x4 front bearings, but empi did something to change them so you have to buy theirs!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
afterburnt wrote:
if you have the hubs then make the arms . i made a set for mine and we just made a set for jason there not that hard to make . i have a jig for chevy hub arms that are 4x4s . look at my odd posts you will see how i did it . jason has the arms that DVS1 made for his chevy 8 lug setup that was made out of box tubeing.he is not useing them maybe you can make them work .

They are on the shelf Jason . If ya want them there yours if you post a video of you crushing a beer can with your man boobs while yelling woodsbuggy get some !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:34 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

giveitagallon wrote:
afterburnt wrote:

They are on the shelf Jason . If ya want them there yours if you post a video of you crushing a beer can with your man boobs while yelling woodsbuggy get some !

LMAO!!! I'll get right on that! And yes I may want them.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication