It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seat mounts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:39 pm 
WB Contributor

Im trying to figure out how im going to mount my seats. Ive looked all through the build pages for ideas but all i see is seats mounted and not the actual mounts. im just trying to see what material you guys are using and where your bracing it. im building a 4 seater and I got cheap racing seats from summit. ive sat in the seat several times for periods of time and stacked boards under the front to change rake (layback) but the rake that feels comfortable "looks" excessive. just looking for good pics to get ideas from.

Post subject: Re: seat mounts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:24 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I used a piece of angle iron and cut one piece and bolted to bottom of seat on both front holes.then bolted it to a piece that was cut to the height I wanted it.I would put the seat in it where ever it felt the most comfortable.it don't matter how good it looks if it don't ride good you won't be happy with it.if it's the poly seats they don't have much give like the old fiberglass one's did.and if you lean it back to far and your thigh lays over the edge to far it will make your legs go to sleep on ya on long ridge rides,kinda like setting on the crapper does,lol.but I'd make it where I was the most relaxed and bolt it down.unless you got someone else that drives it then do it the way you like it anyways,lol.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

When I built my 4 seat buggy, I spent a TON of time trying to decide where to put the seats. I wanted to make sure adults could fit in the back without being too crunched. Leaning them back helped a lot.

My front seats are adjustable. I welded a tab on the top of my cross frame tube for the front mount and welded a piece of flat steel across the back level with the floor for the back of the Front seat mounts. This put the front of the seats approximately 1 1/2 higher than the back seats.

My rear seats are leaning even further back. I bent a piece of 1 inch tubing that went across the entire buggy and then added steel runners from the tube to the rear torsion housing. Then I drilled holes in the steel runners to mount my rear seats.

Raising up the rear seats allowed for more leg room and leaning them back allowed for more head room..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:19 pm 
WB Contributor

thanks guys that helps. mouse is that berrien cruiser? I dont have bender but I should be able to make that crossbar out of square and gussets. I been sitting in my seat playing video games a few times and seems 2" is pretty comfortable. going from top to bottom of tubes gains 1 1/2" would i be better raising the front an extra 1/2" or lowering the back?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Mine is a Berrien SandFox.. Square tubing should work fine. The front of the back seats are probably 6 or 7 inches off the floor. And the back of the seat runners are welded to the Torsion Housing.

As for the extra 1/2 inch, I would lower the back until you hit the floor but I strongly recommend that you do not go below the floor. In addition, make sure all of your seat mounts are bolted to a welded steel brace. It is not recommended to bolt seats into the Aluminum floor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:49 pm 

On mine they just took a 2"x 1/8" piece of flat stock steel and welded it at the ends, to the the bars and just drilled the 4 mounting holes in it for the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:18 pm 
WB Videographer

If your seats are the plastic type with mounting nuts that are molded into the plastic, be sure to have a brace bar behind the seat back, or you'll be climbing a hill and end up in the back seat.
Those nuts molded into the plastic will pull right out.
Wonder how I know this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:51 pm 

My seat is tight up against the firewall, also im guessing it has something to do with your picture :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:43 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i just bolt mine right to the floor :lol: :lol:

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication