It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Build
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:59 pm 

Okay a few days ago me and nitro were talking in the shout out box and he asked me, how am i going to transport the buggy if it breaks? I had no idea and it was a great question to ask. So that got me thinking... :twisted:

For those of you who don't know. My plan is to really only drive the buggy at a tight wooded race that is 3 miles from my house. Since there is only 3 races up there per year, i wasn't too worried about it. Well since i can't get a new trailer because $$$.

I was thinking about making my own in the schools shop. Most of the metal would be free, prolly just have to buy an axle or find one off a camper, the full wood deck and invest in spray paint. lol

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... railer.png

My idea is to have a full wood deck and for fenders i will make my own out of 1/8inch steel in a square fashion. The ramps would lie under the buggy in the center and would have mount points like babychains's for the ramps and same D-rings. I would like to have the rear buggy tires right behind the axle to try and equalize the weight well. Also up front i would like to have a toolbox with some tools in it, that would sit above the T-bar/tires of the buggy.

Post subject: Re: Trailer Build
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sounds like a good plan. However, I do not like a wood deck. It is heavy, rots over time and slick as snot when it gets wet.

Instead of Wood, I like to use expanded metal. Instead of covering the entire top, you can also just make two ramps on either side and leave the middle open.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 pm 

I would like to do that but it would prolly be more expensive and plus then i can't use the trailer for other stuff. Thats the only way to sell it to my mom, multi-functional, for garbage (to the dump), carry scrap, the buggy, atv trailer. Pretty much what ever needed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:56 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thats the way I built mine MM, and I use it for everything. And I told him to use the 5-1/2 x1 treated deckboards. They dont get too slick unless its snow. Hunter make sure you get a heavy duty enough axle and springs for the buggy and trailer weight. I'd look at 4000 lbs to be safe. I run two 3000lb axles on my 16 footer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:07 pm 

true 2in rough hewn oak is the way to go for deck wood if you ask me... yeah my car hauler doesnt have it. it has 2x8 treated on it but i bought it that way. we use the rough hewn on our work 5th wheels. and they are constantly barraged with oil and gas and other corrosive bs that doesnt seem to affect it. also if you go tandem axle it is d.o.t. regs that you have a functional brake on the front axle. after a certain poundage its both axles. ask me how i know? $$$$$$$$....... and you don't have to be a dot truck and any barney fife can write that ticket... also as a suggestion i would add underbody tool boxes on it accessible from the deck. i am about to add them to mine. just keep the hatches narrower than full wheel width if you put a truck or full car on it. buggy i wouldnt worry about drivin over them... just my 2 cents...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:51 pm 
WB Contributor

Check Craig's List you can usually buy a trailer from 800 to 1500. Unless all the material is free and welding consumables then you can usually buy one cheaper and just fix it the way you want it to be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 pm 
WB Contributor

in my experience its better to use narrow boards like 2x4 or 2x6 for the deck. a wider board tends to cup more and hold water. water setting on wood causes it to rot much faster.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication