It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: R&P steering
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:30 pm 

Ok I have a 04 gm rack I'm wanting to put on my buggy. I have been looking on here for a few weeks now reading old post all are about 2 years old other then jayrod post.

So after reading all that I have I'm more lost then I was some so close to the front beam some say make it all line up :roll:

So I was looking for more feed back from guys that have done this along with what they did and why and if you would change anything. Pics would also be a great help

Post subject: Re: R&P steering
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:14 pm 
WB Contributor

Hey, I dont know exactly how far away mine is fro the beam. But the tie rods are slightly slanted down and towards the rear of the buggy. My steering is great to me , so not gonna mess with it. But go as close to the beam as you can. it will prevent the tires from flipping sideways is about the only advantage Ive noticed, But i welded in a stop that the tie rod hits if it gets in that bad of a bind. I had no steering failures at all since i did the swap.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:07 pm 

I have a 99 gm rack and i love it! My install was trial and error. It tried my patience as well. I mounted it three times before i got it where i like it. I got a bumpsteer lesson. The first mounting was as far forward as i could get it and up close to the top beam. Took it for a drive and the first bump i hit it drove itself into the other lane :shock: It is now a few inches rearward of the beam and a couple inches lower. My rod ends are mounted under the mount at the knuckle rather than on top as usual. This works for my chassis/travel needs. Probabaly needs mounted higher if i was to have rods on top as usual. From what i have learned i would remove springs and put knuckles back on so you can cycle through travel. Then tack your rack mounts in and temporarely hook up a tie rod end to knuckle then cycle the suspension. When you have achieved the minimum amount of toe change throughout travel thats your permenant location. My tierods are gently sweeping rearward and down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:37 pm 
WB Contributor

Mine is about the same location. good luck. Juss remember tack weld then test lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:57 pm 

Thanks for the input guys

Tw9294 thanks for the pics that give me a good idea where to start

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication