It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:39 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H Trailer ??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:49 pm 

I'm have a 14x7 trailer now that I pull my buggy on but I have to back on it to keep it from swaying on me. It's not that big of a deal but but add that it was made to hold a backhoe and comes in 3x the buggy lbs. And me pulling with a V6 it's time to lose the weight.

I'm wanting to build a H trailer and try to cut my weight in half or more.
So has anyone pulled a water pumper on a h or t trailer ?
Will I still fight the swaying problem I have now ??
I know all the ones I have seen the axle is in front of the back tire but with the added pounds on the back would putting the axle in the behind or right under the tire help me and keep the swaying down ?

Any input or info you guys can give would be great

Post subject: Re: H Trailer ??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 pm 
WB Contributor

aint sure but my t trailer pulls awesome ,even at 90 mph with a v-6 also, i think it would be way better for ya :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:52 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

ive had a T trailer and now have a H trailer and i pefer the H trailer 10 to 1 over the T trailer,if you are building new keep the rear tires of the buggy as close as possible to the back edge of the trailer fenders but if the axle is wide enough for the rear tires on the buggy a lot of guys park right over the centerline of the axle but i wouldnt recomend going any farther forward. my2cents

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 am 
WB Contributor

buy a cheap trailer sway away system...bout 100 bucks and up....hooks from hitch on truck to trailer...works like a steering dampner...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:44 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

How much Tongue weight do you have on the trailer with the buggy on the trailer forwards. Your problem might just be the Axle needs to be moved back. I have a very simple trailer but I have the Axle 2/3 of the way toward the back.

If I remember correctly, I think your tongue weight should be around 10% of your load.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:06 pm 

Tongue weight is the problem with pulling on my back tires are about a foot and a half behind the last axle and I have pulled it that way and done good but it sways really back around 18 wheeler

I know I want to go with a H trailer to lost the weight just don't want to run in to the same problem I have now and want to make sure I put the back wheels and the axle in the right spot to make the tongue weigh right and it pull good with out swaying

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:53 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Well my trailer is a tandem axle 16ft. And my buggy is a heavy cast Watercooled buggy. But I have about 10 lbs of tounge weight with only the buggy on it, then load my gear in front of the buggy, tows great. And all my trips are long distance. As far as my rear wheels they are right behind my rear trailer wheels. My advise would be move the buggy as far forward as you can and make enough room for some tools or camping gear for balest. Then you can adjust as needed. And my wheels are also about 70% back on the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:04 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... =26&t=6592

Here is my trailer build.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 pm 

I'm fine with backing on for long trips that's not a problem. I'm even thinking about adding to the front so I can pull up more I could add 12-18" no problem. But I would like to lose about a 1000 lbs to help my V6 out some on day trips I have about 3 places to ride with in a hour of the house plus I have been running in some mud drags to so it would be nice to have a lite trailer I could pull on and go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:08 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

bluebuggy wrote:
I'm fine with backing on for long trips that's not a problem. I'm even thinking about adding to the front so I can pull up more I could add 12-18" no problem. But I would like to lose about a 1000 lbs to help my V6 out some on day trips I have about 3 places to ride with in a hour of the house plus I have been running in some mud drags to so it would be nice to have a lite trailer I could pull on and go.

Sorry to thread steal, but where you runnin' mud drags at?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:46 am 

At the fairs and at the MX track beside DTOR they have one every 3-4 weeks in the summer

You should come out I would like to run with a big VW the biggest I have ran agaist is a 2332 and it would be nice to have more buggys out there

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:14 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks! Might have to do that. Been wantin to get to DTOR a little more often.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:41 pm 
BOTM Winner

MickeyMouse wrote:
How much Tongue weight do you have on the trailer with the buggy on the trailer forwards. Your problem might just be the Axle needs to be moved back. I have a very simple trailer but I have the Axle 2/3 of the way toward the back.

If I remember correctly, I think your tongue weight should be around 10% of your load.

x2 on the 10%, I have heard 13-16% depending on weight, this info came from a popular site on towing trailers......

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication