It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Ecotec 2.4 mid travel
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:02 am 

I started this project over two years ago but I wanted it to be the last buggy I build. I had also started a thread last year but a few things have changed since then so I figured it was time to start a new thread on the build. This started out as a wide and heightened Berrien frame and it was then heavily modified. I also planned to install a 2332 VW that I considered my finest engine build. I had built seven engines over 2180 and considered this to be my baby and put everything into it. I had large heads, dual 44's, and even sent the crank out for nitriding. Believe me this engine was bad a$$. Research and breaking the mold of almost 30 years of off-roading brought me to installing a 2.4 Ecotec. I then went through my six rib and installed all of the recommended Weddle gears and washers. On a side note, the people at Weddle are great to work with and full of honest information. If you have any questions about the build or have recommendations, please feel free to send me an email at twotrackerbryan@comcast.net

Enjoy,
Bryan

Last edited by Twotrackerbryan on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:24 am 

Here are some pics of the build
The start after some modification
Six rib ready for rebuild.
Front end after modification
16 inches of travel
Rear A-arm
Original VW 2332
The new engine installed

Last edited by Twotrackerbryan on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:54 am 

sweet what made you turn to watercooled?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:22 am 
BOTM Winner

lookin nice! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:26 pm 

I started working on the rail again this past month. I made a few changes from the last time I posted. First I went with a solid mid Transmission mount from Karteck. I also added a super charger to the engine. As far as going liquid cooled, I was tired of wrenching on the VW. It seemed like I was either adjusting the valves or cleaning out the jets. Plus with my current configuration I should be putting out 280 Hp with about the same in torque.
Bryan

Last edited by Twotrackerbryan on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:37 pm 

I just got the seats installed. By the way, the seats were made by Renegade Seats and I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. I have never dealt with a more incompetent company.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:51 pm 

Looking good, how much travel will you have on the rear?

My build, http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... =23&t=9147

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:34 pm 
WB Contributor

NIIIIICE!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 pm 

what are ur spring rates top and bottom? what r u changing on the trans to make hold up?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:10 pm 

Love my Ecotec, and Fox coil overs. Yours looks good!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 pm 

where can i get those joints that you used to attach the rear arms to the frame? i was thinking about using those to make from A-arms

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:25 pm 

16" of travel on the rear and if I remember correctly I have 15" on the front
BigScott wrote:
Looking good, how much travel will you have on the rear?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:45 pm 

Springs for the front and rear 200/250 and 300/350.
Transmission - 6 rib 091 with the following upgrades: (5241) 091 econo super-diff, (091-517-169hd) weddle racing 091 spider gear, (091-517-189) T2 spider gear thrust washer, and (9361) chromoly pinion nut-small flange.
ididit wrote:
what are ur spring rates top and bottom? what r u changing on the trans to make hold up?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:51 pm 

Dan made them for me (http://danbaudoux.com/). The rear came out perfect and the tires are flat throughout the travel.
duneman wrote:
where can i get those joints that you used to attach the rear arms to the frame? i was thinking about using those to make from A-arms

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:06 pm 

Here is some information someone may find useful.
When I went with solid mount on the engine and transmission I got rid of the bug pack mount and went with the (SUS-06121 Bus Mount, Over Baja Bug Style, Uses Frame Horns) from Kartek.

Engine:
I added a supercharger to the engine and should put 280 bhp + to the rear wheels (300 at the crank). Parts needed: Supercharger from the Ecotec 2L, intake manifold from the Ecotec super charged 2L, gaskets, alternator stand off bracket with idler pulley, 60lb injectors, supercharger pulley (I changed to adjust the boost), heat exchanger for the intake manifold (nothing special needed), coolant pump for heat exchanger, dip stick and tube from the super charged 2L, 2 bar map sensor, adjustable fuel regulator (Fuelab 515c is designed for the supercharger and auto adjusts for boost) , and some miscellaneous parts. ZZ Performance has most of what you need as well as CBM. ZZ Performance offers a kit if you have no interest in shopping around. Tim as ZZ knows the Ecotec inside and out. It can be difficult to catch him so leave him a message or send him an email, he will follow up.

I changed the stock balancer to an ATI balancer. There were two reasons for the change. One was the diameter is wider than stock. With this change I was able to increase the boost while maintaining a larger pulley on the super charger. Note: when you go with a smaller super charger pulley to increase the boost you also decrease the life expectancy of the belt. Second, it was strongly suggested I make the change to increase the life expectancy of the engine.

I picked up a real nice header off of ebay (CHEVY COBALT/HHR/ION 2.2/2.4 L61/LE5 NON TURBO ECOTEC STAINLESS EXHAUST HEADER) http://www.ebay.com/itm/260885563145...84.m1497.l2649

EFIHarness sent me the wire harness with the stock ECU. For my application it was better to get the stock ECU and have it dialed in at a local tuner. Steve with EFI Harness supplies most of the desert racing community with the electronics. He offers a custom built wire harness, stock ECU as well as mefi 4 and mefi 5. My set up cost $995.00. You can strip your harness down and use your own ECU and get it done for a fraction of the price. I personally think it was worth the $995 because I don't have the time and Steve's harness is done extremely well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:05 pm 

NICE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sweet,get this thing done,it needs some dirt on it already,lol.looks real good should be a mean machine.keep pics coming I like the details your putting into this.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:19 pm 

Mounted the pedals, cut the rear cage off and added 4.5" as well as the radiator mounts, installed the radiator and cooler for the the super charger, got most of the engine components done.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:20 pm 

Sweet build man - I've been following it on Race-Dezert.com... You've helped me figure out some of my Ecotec woes. Did Steve's harness & computer come with the FBW pedal? Do you just have it mounted to a vertical metal support? I'm trying to decide how to mount mine...

-Shaun

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:17 pm 

It did come with a pedal and it is more user friendly than the one that came in the 2006 cobalt. I did cut it in half and welded it to change the throw angle. I also mounted it to angle iron to keep the support strong.
Bryan

billups wrote:
Sweet build man - I've been following it on Race-Dezert.com... You've helped me figure out some of my Ecotec woes. Did Steve's harness & computer come with the FBW pedal? Do you just have it mounted to a vertical metal support? I'm trying to decide how to mount mine...

-Shaun

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:03 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Looks great, love seeing some of these with AC money thrown at them, wish I could do the same. Let us know when you go mendiola, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:56 pm 

I got the radiators and super charger cooler mounted

Last edited by Twotrackerbryan on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:13 am 

what did that CBM power steering pump cost?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:33 am 

Shouldn't over heat with radiaters :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:23 pm 

Twotrackerbryan wrote:
I got the radiators and super charger cooler mounted

What are your specs on the charge cooler and radiator? Are you running the charge cooler in parallel with the stock one or in lieu of? It's coming along nicely!

-Shaun

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds