It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:42 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 am 
BOTM Winner

I have taken a break from the Turbo Buggy to get back to work on another Long travel Pilot mini Buggy. I started this 2 years ago and it got shelved to build the Woodsbuggy. Then shelved another year to do the Subie Motor Swap. The other Long travel Pilot has a 75 HP 500 cc 2 stroke motor in it. My wife drove it and now somehow its hers. Funny how that happens. So not to be out run by the Wife unit I have to build this one with a 700 CC 126 HP Rotax. I have streached the frame to make more room for the new motor and to give me moroe stability with the additional HP and speed. Here are some progress pics:

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72 ... t%20Build/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:16 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

that's pretty sweet looking toy your making.keep us posted on this thing.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 pm 
BOTM Winner

Thanks, I update the Photobucket album each week with my progress. I still have a ways to go. Frame is close, a few brackets, braces and gussets here and there and off to the powder coater. I still need to build top trailing arms and adjustable links for the rear supension, Aluminum gas tank, collector air box to house the DPM pressure and intake air temperature sensors, radiator shrould, roof, skid plate, front bumper, 2 piece driven pully shaft and bearing support for the gearcase, just to name a few. Fortunatly i built the motor 2 years ago and will not have to deal with that. The Pilots are what i was driving at wellsville and racing before i got into the Woodsbuggys. They are extreamly fast and agile in the Woods. Will climb just about any hill within reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:16 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Very cool looking Odyknuck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:42 pm 
BOTM Winner

Thanks, Here are a few pics of my Wifes Long Travel Pilot (Used to be Mine :cry: ) for comparison to get an Ideal of what they look like together. Keep in mind that this is a highly Modified Pilot and is no were near stock.

Here is a pic of a stock one:

Last edited by Odyknuck on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:06 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

seems to be alot of people now a days bringing these back to life.i had one for a little while and they are pretty sweet rides.you would have thought that they would have put this back into production or try and compete with the razor but i think honda has dropped behind in the side by side class.but i do like what your building thanks for the pics.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:10 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

They both look cool! Always thought those things would be a blast and wondered why you dont see them much built for the woods. :?: I think I'd feel much safer in one of those than a rzr.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

well i know from experience how safe mine was.running a good 35 or 40mph down a black top road and lipped the edge of the road,the dang thing jumped sideways i mean a full 90 degrees.it ripped the tires off the rims and barrell rolled about 8 or 9 times down the road and up a bank.walked away without a scratch.burnt two or three of them cats lives on that one.believe somebody was a watching out for me on that day.so yes i think they might be safer than a razr.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:49 pm 
WB Contributor

Very cool !!!
I always wanted to ride one of those .
Odyknuck wrote:
Keep in mind that this is a highly Modified Pilot and is no were near stock.

We wouldnt expect any different if you have had your hands on it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:13 am 
BOTM Winner

aboone993 wrote:
Very cool !!!
I always wanted to ride one of those .
Odyknuck wrote:
Keep in mind that this is a highly Modified Pilot and is no were near stock.

We wouldnt expect any different if you have had your hands on it :mrgreen:

Yea I know, its a bad habit of mine. Just can't leave well enough alone! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 pm 
BOTM Winner

Yea they are pretty strong considering they are built from .062" wall ERW tubing. I was on a trail ride a few years back and watched one of my Buddies do a mutiple endo and watched the cage crush in on him (similar to Plumberbills cage) It split the visor and cracked his helment and knoked him out cold. Thought he was dead. With the additional HP and Accell rate with the Rotax I felt a new heavy duty cage was in order on this one.

gasman wrote:
well i know from experience how safe mine was.running a good 35 or 40mph down a black top road and lipped the edge of the road,the dang thing jumped sideways i mean a full 90 degrees.it ripped the tires off the rims and barrell rolled about 8 or 9 times down the road and up a bank.walked away without a scratch.burnt two or three of them cats lives on that one.believe somebody was a watching out for me on that day.so yes i think they might be safer than a razr.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:12 pm 
BOTM Winner

I belong to a semi formal Pilot club that trail ride in the Woods. Most of them are Long Travel and have hopped up motors or running Sled motors. A stock Pilot with a set of Works shocks will actually give you a very nice Buggy, ride and handling wise. The Woods do pose a few Issues for them. The first one is water. They run a belt drive CVT system and when it gets wet it slips the belt making it hard to cross water. The other main problem with them is the size is between a Woodsbuggy and a 4 wheeler. The Woodsbuggy can go over an obstacal, a 4 wheeler can go around it and the Pilot can not do either so it goes in or on it! :lol:

They are a very safe machine compared to the RZR. They are not top heavy like the RZR contrary to what is advertized.

kybuggy1 wrote:
They both look cool! Always thought those things would be a blast and wondered why you dont see them much built for the woods. :?: I think I'd feel much safer in one of those than a rzr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 am 

Has anyone ever put a bike motor in one of those? A stock busa motor is 190 hp with a six speed tranny. I would imagine if you change sprockets it would hill climb like mad!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:14 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Just need a busa tranny with reverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:18 pm 

nitro_mudder wrote:
Just need a busa tranny with reverse

yea, I forgot about that part :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:58 pm 
BOTM Winner

I am not aware of anyone running a bike motor in a Pilot. It has probaly been done. A Busa motor is a large foot print and the frame would definatly have to be streached to accomadate it. Personally if I were to use that much HP I would build a frame from scratch. Your already taxing it when you get above 100 HP. These frames were designed for 38 HP although I am sure Honda exceeded those parameters. As far as hill climbing goes , I would think they would spend a lot of time on the lids due to the weight bias and wheel base with a Busa. The sled motors give you the best bang for the Buck in size , weight and HP. The stock Pilot will climb anything a Quad will. The CVT really shines when your climbing. It constantly adjjust your torque ratios.

wreckincars wrote:
Has anyone ever put a bike motor in one of those? A stock busa motor is 190 hp with a six speed tranny. I would imagine if you change sprockets it would hill climb like mad!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:18 pm 
BOTM Winner

I was driving a buddy of mines pilot in the woods and came to a fence in the trail and had to turn around, so I proceded to back off the side of the trail and over a 15' drop, then was stuck pointing at the moon :roll: Good times!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:34 am 
BOTM Winner

Got the radiator and Air Filter mounted over the Weekend. Also made new Acetel Trans mount Bushings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:56 pm 

Looks like you're making some good progress! I've always like pilots/oddyssey's. I got started into all this because one of my neighbors had an old FL250 oddyssey.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:21 pm 
BOTM Winner

Yea I got started on the 4 wheelers with the FL350. Then the Pilots came a long and then I traded the FL350 for my first Woodsbuggy. It all started when my buddy Plumberbill pulls up to my house with a dirt bike to ride and off to Wellsville we went. After 20 years of being off the dirt on a 2 wheeler and laying on the ground a lot I saw an Oddyssey roll by and thought "Hmmm! an old mans toy, thats for me". Never got back on a dirt bike again.

Griffin wrote:
Looks like you're making some good progress! I've always like pilots/oddyssey's. I got started into all this because one of my neighbors had an old FL250 oddyssey.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I hear ya Ody after rolling down a hill with a 700lb 4 wheeler chasing me, then seeing buggies have no issues I felt the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:46 pm 
BOTM Winner

Weekend updates:
Mocked up a cardboard gas tank so I could weld the mounts on, Modified the Exhaust expansion chamber to fit the application. Ordered a new custom silenser from AAEN today. Did I say welding sheet metal is a pain? Made Tree bar mounts and welded them in. Added "X" bracing on the front. The stock Pilot lower "A" arm section is a poor design in the front and can and will bend on a full weight corner hit. Been there done that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:50 am 
BOTM Winner

Weekend Update. Frame is readyfor Powder coater. Made up a battery mount for the footwell and got the Exhaust system done (I forgot to take pics):

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:40 pm 
BOTM Winner

Got the frame back from the powder coater over the week end. Ready for assembly now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Lookin sharp steve!!

Board index » General » Buggy Builds