It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:53 pm 

Just picked this up yesterday.
It's a Chop Top rail by The Buggy Shop in Kansas.
I wanted my next Woodsbuggy to have a low center of gravity.
I dont think I can get any lower than this one.
This is a shot of a street legal Chop Top.
Another view.

I have been away from Wellsville due to my job for the last 4 years. A lot of you may remember my Purple Buggy. My EX wife gave it away. My lawyer is working on getting it back

Last edited by dunebuggynut on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:04 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
i really like the square top buggys , the get in get out opening is pretty big how strong do you think it will be on a roll over :?: im not putting your rail down at all just curious :!:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

looks like it mite be stihl powered huh :lol: :lol: :lol: sa the blowers and trimmers in the back round :!:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:12 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

My EX wife gave it away. My lawyer is working on getting it back :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:17 pm 

giveitagallon wrote:
i really like the square top buggys , the get in get out opening is pretty big how strong do you think it will be on a roll over :?: im not putting your rail down at all just curious :!:

I am going to brace the heck out of it. The previous owner was setting it up for sand so I will probably add another 100++ feet of tubing to it. I have Kirkey seats to replace the fiberglass ones & the fuel tank is going bye bye to try propane. I plan to run a 2300 Pinto engine, 6 rib, 3x3's & 930 joints. I may swap in a custom torsion as well as a warrior beam with extended travel. I think Im going to try a Beretta Rack & Pinion since the sand rack will last about 5 min. at Wells.
I have been planning this build for 3 years & rounding up parts. I have all the parts exept the long travel beam & Beretta rack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:18 pm 

giveitagallon wrote:
looks like it mite be stihl powered huh :lol: :lol: :lol: sa the blowers and trimmers in the back round :!:

Those are the ebay pics from the other guys garage. He owns a landscaping company.
I drive truck & brought it back in my trailer & had my buddy meet me to take it home. I will get some pics of my own shortly.

Last edited by dunebuggynut on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:26 pm 

giveitagallon wrote:
My EX wife gave it away. My lawyer is working on getting it back :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

It all started when my Mustang had to go pror to the divorce being filed.... :D :mrgreen:

She was going to give it to her new boyfriend. :shock: :cry:
For some reason she got a bit angry about it going to my buddy (to cover some debt) that she ran up.
Thing is, she gave the buggys away after the divorce got filed....That is a violation of the marital assets part of the divorce :roll:
The judge ordered her to get them back. We will see if she gets em back or deals with the contempt charge. The judge was pissed :evil: :evil:
I"M NOT OPTIMISTIC.....

Last edited by dunebuggynut on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:38 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

bro, email me a kleenex because i just shed a tear :oops: :cry: :shock: i feel for ya !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 pm 

giveitagallon wrote:
bro, email me a kleenex because i just shed a tear :oops: :cry: :shock: i feel for ya !

Trust me....Getting away from the ex has been the best thing I ever did. 24 years of my life wasted with a cheater. My new girl is 8 years younger, better all around & loves me unconditionally. :D :D :D :D :D
It's about time I get a break :wink:

This is the Chenoweth frame that was to become my next rail. It was low to the ground & I was planning to lower the top about 3 inches. The EX gave that one away as well. It needed a lot of work but it was salvageable. I wouldnt be as upset about it if my spindle mounts werent on it. It took me 2 years to find a set of those.

Last edited by dunebuggynut on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:57 pm 

BTW....IF THE ROOF OF THIS BUGGY IS AS HIGH AS MY MAN BOOBS ONCE ASSEMBLED IT IS TOO TALL. That should give you an idea of how low I want to go. Sitting on the floor the highest part of the roof doesn't even come up to my waist & Im only 5'7"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:38 pm 

sweet chassis but it does look like the roof would go flat in a rollover. i'm sure i could'nt sit in something like that. I got my stalker 3 inches taller and still lowered my seats two inches. Keep the pics coming.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:22 pm 

tw9294 wrote:
sweet chassis but it does look like the roof would go flat in a rollover. i'm sure i could'nt sit in something like that. I got my stalker 3 inches taller and still lowered my seats two inches. Keep the pics coming.

Ive seen the pics of Plumberbills crash that flattened his roof. Trust me, I plan to reinforce the hell out of this thing. About 3 years ago I sketched out a cage for that Chenoweth frame I had that is a sort of capsule around the driver & passenger.
It is a combination Funny Car cage upper with a Sprint Car inspired lower half to contain my legs & feet. The only time I ever rolled I watched my legs flail around & always planned to solve that problem during my next build.
I love the lines of this rail & after studying the pics I think I can incorporate my design without ruining them. Essentially I am planning to build an inner cage that will be tied to the frame throughout.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:17 pm 

Finally got the new frame into my garage.
Started cutting out the floor which I need to modify to make it a single seater. My new girl doesnt like the looks of hillclimbing so I'll set it up for me.

Rather than moving the torsion housing up to slick bottom my rail I'm opting to lower the floor 1 3/4" instead.
The 1" tubing shows the level of the new floor.
Also added another vertical brace in the middle of the sides. There was a span of nearly 5 feet that looked like a weak spot.

No cracks about the messy garage....I had to move out of my other house quickly due to the divorce so I piled stuff everywhere.

Last edited by dunebuggynut on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:18 am 

FINALLY !! Found my seat.
I spent 6 hours looking at seats online when I came across this KART seat from Kirkey. I wanted a seat with 35 degrees layback & a max. height of 33 inches. This is as close to perfect as I can find. It's gona take Summit 2 weeks to get it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:02 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Here are a few pictures of Baddvw shifter. It doesn’t look too hard to make. Two u joints and a hold down bearing or heim joint would work.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:13 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

jegs has the seat

http://www.jegs.com/i/Kirkey/570/21500/10002/-1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:22 am 

I like that linkage.....very simple & very strong. Once I get my seat mocked in I can determine if I have enough space for that design.

For anyone else that doesnt like the flimsy Jamar linkage & doesnt have room to angle the rod, I turned up this linkage on a right hand drive kit car.
This is a bit weak for the woods but I already have this built in my head with about 4 feet of 1 inch tubing & 4 (1/2") heims. again....very simple & without the pivots & reversing action of the Jamar piece.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:08 am 

Got my shifter linkage made. 20+ hrs. work but it works great. I still need 1/4" spacers for the heims to give me a little more travel. I get reverse & 1st & 2nd perfectly but need the spacers to get 3&4.
I dont have enough room behind my seat for any linkage other than this.

Last edited by dunebuggynut on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:59 am 

Heres a couple more shots of my home built side shifter. I took a bunch of pics to help anybody else who may want to give it a try. Ill start a thread under parts fabrication with details.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:56 pm 
BOTM Winner

Lookin good. The simple design like me and Baddvw and mostly all single seaters run wouldn't work?
Keep up the good work, you'll be in the woods before ya know it. (At least that's what I've been tellin myself while working on my buggy for hours and hours!!) :D

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:18 pm 

That looks complex :idea: I love build threads...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 pm 

My bender came today !!!!!
I took it out of the box, put a piece of 1 1/2" tubing in it & put an 80 deg. bend in about a minute. I had my doubts about a bargain bender but this thing works perfectly. No kinks, no flattening or stretching & best of all I dont have to bolt it down. I dont have the room to use a JD2 or pro tools bender at the moment. The 7" radius is great for my pending cage bends but a tighter radius would be nice for some areas. Ill make do for now. Here's the bottom line....Ebay....I offered 260 bucks & it was accepted. 40 bucks to ship & Im finally able to bend my own tubing for $300.00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:05 am 

Finally got a chance to try out my new bender. I managed to get my main hoops bent for my inner cage. Hopefully I can get it braced up & welded up tomorrow since Ill have my kids the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:34 pm 

I got as much done over the holiday as I could. Most cage bracing is done & my cutter & staging brake mounts are all done. Ive still got a bit more to brace once the air bags get mounted out back.

I also got my seat mounts installed. If this back mount seems a bit overkill keep in mind that the nosecone & shifter I built are 3 inches from my spine with only the aluminum seat between it & a wheelchair. Ill take the 10 pound weight penalty to keep walking. I welded 1/8" steel to 1 inch tubing as a safeguard incase something tries to shove the nosecone through my spinal column.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:59 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

in regards to the upper seat brace, i cannot tell if you did or not, but i suggest putting some sort of flat plate between the tube that is against the seat and the seat, if that tube were to ever get pissed off and hit your seat that would hurrrrrrrrrrrt your head. my .02 cents. Btw looks great, very unique!

Board index » General » Buggy Builds