It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:36 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:29 pm 

ok well the title explains it...this is the first rail i have built and this is the reason why i have asked so many questions and probably am getting on some peoples nerves...I am in college at UNCW and after i got sick almost 2 years ago i decided to stop holding off on this project and dream. Here are some pics from the start to where im at now...as i said I am in college so the $ is slow to come in so that means that this project is taking a little while. I have gotten a lot of the parts through people that were building rails and then had to sell parts to make bill payments :twisted: so i keep pluggin away and I keep trying to buy the expensive items first so that it will get easier as i get closer to the finish (fingers crossed)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

o have more to come...i have the front brakes on too and i am about to paint the wheels too fronts are 15x6 and the rears are 15x8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Lookin pretty badass!!! Keep the pics coming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:43 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I like it. I think Ive seen guys on here recomend putting extra bracing on the outside of the wide beems for strength.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 pm 

yeah i was going to have my welder do that when he helps me build my whops for the rear and the front shoxs...and advice would be great since yall have either broke-em or made them better because of other peoples mistakes...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Looks good. Have him weld in an X brace also it could help save your life.
Are those appletree rear arms? Might want to gusset them I’ve seen a few brake at the bearing carrier.

Here is a broke one just posted on thesamba.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380500&highlight=trailing+arm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:56 am 

well dang...yeah i was going to have him beef them up and beef up the cage to and x the roof...i knew i wanted to make the arms strong bc i have seen them do stuff like that as well ty for the post...yeah if anyone sees something that you would like me to give a shot at doing im open as i said to suggestions...this will be a majority a street car but there are a lot of trails that the jeeps tear through here that i know will not tear anything apart...i mean if a stock jeep can make it then im sure i wont have that much of an issue i hope...hope is a key word, but i know that breaking is the future but a good build helps eliminate major breaks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:09 am 
looks good

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:42 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

YOU GO MAN :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 pm 

thanks rock that means a lot coming from you since it seems that every thread i read your on and you seem to have a lot of knowledge in this sport and these vehicles.

I will be posting more pics i think tonight or sometime this weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:03 pm 

2 piston front brakes to match the 4 piston rear disc brakes from gear oneImage
here is my shift linkage that my friend built for my rail to span the gap that people have to design the couplers for to have the shift rod reach the type2 nosecone...he said he can make more of these if people like it and want one...just PM me if you want his info and the price. :D ImageImageImageImage
all i have to get to make it work is 2 late type one shift couplers to go from the shift box to the bar and from the bar to the nose cone of the transaxle...his doesn't slip like the drop down aluminum coupler will

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:44 pm 

Well i have the car ready to go get the whoops welded for my shocks because i dont have a welded and pipe bender yet...i changed the collors of the rims to a black instead of the regular white...and yeah i love my tierods that i have right now, and rear shocks :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

about to get steering and shocks welded in jan. I cant wait...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:35 pm 
BOTM Winner

Lookin real good, you got some serious ground clearance! Get 'er done and bring it to D&K for a good test-run! :D

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:37 pm 
BOTM Winner

good job so far, keep the pics coming. nothing like starting from scratch with a shinny new frame. just wish woodsbuggy.com was around when i built mine.

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:27 pm 

well the front is problly a little past where it should but i have the board holding the frame up so i can move it around and on the trailer till i get the coil-overs on...10inch stroke in the front and 16inch stroke in the rear!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:14 pm 

DUBclub wrote:
well dang...yeah i was going to have him beef them up and beef up the cage to and x the roof...i knew i wanted to make the arms strong bc i have seen them do stuff like that as well ty for the post...yeah if anyone sees something that you would like me to give a shot at doing im open as i said to suggestions...this will be a majority a street car but there are a lot of trails that the jeeps tear through here that i know will not tear anything apart...i mean if a stock jeep can make it then im sure i wont have that much of an issue i hope...hope is a key word, but i know that breaking is the future but a good build helps eliminate major breaks

Looking good :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:03 pm 

Still at the welders getting the shocks placed, and to have a guy that has built competition rock crawlers is worth the wait for the car to be done...and the welds are sick clean! more pics to come! :D ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:02 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

looking sweet.notice you had a wider front beam.while you have it at the welding shop you may want to put braces on it out past the frame.if you do hit something hard it will bend the ends of your front beam.keep up the good work you will be riding before long.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:14 am 

gasman wrote:
looking sweet.notice you had a wider front beam.while you have it at the welding shop you may want to put braces on it out past the frame.if you do hit something hard it will bend the ends of your front beam.keep up the good work you will be riding before long.chad :mrgreen:

I told him to figure that in when we work on the front and i ordered clips for the front on both sides taht will bolt together like the other clamps and we are going to have them as far out as we can get them and still be functional...yeah im pumped to get it back home and i want a welder but that is money that i need to get it on the road...its getting close!...i just got a set of peddles for the car for 270 shipped with a dual res and a single res that were just used to mock up and then the guy went a different route...well after that i get to get the seats and the u-joints for the steering then i can be 90% ready for the trails...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 am 

what rear tires and wheels r u going to run ??? maybe just the pics but with the rear shocks out that far ull need alot of offset on the wheels to clear ur shocks this will inturn kill wheel bearings and put a lot of strain on those straight apple tree arms i know me and a few other guys run a 15 x 14 x 5 inch offset wheels with firestone v treads something u might want to think about looks good though u say ur on a buget but by the looks of things it a nice one lol 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 am 

I will be running 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims in the rear and 33x9.50x15 on 15x6 rims in the front. My fabricator has built many of rock crawlers and we have spent some time in building this suspention as functional as i can for the street and be able to have fun on the trails...this rig will be able to have some fun on the trails but it is no where near what I would want to try to go balls out with...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:49 pm 

Well the post man dropped off my new/used peddles that i got from a guy in cali that used these to mock up and then went with deifferent peddles, they are jamar, i know i want wilwoods but hey i got these for $270 to my door...they are 11/16" & 3/4" bore for the dual brake peddle and 11/16" for the solo clutch peddle, and i can mount them either on the floor or hanging...i dont know yet which wayImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:20 pm 

ImageImageImage
well I got her all welded up and the shockes and the braces in the fron on...my welder is talented to say the least! I just have to buy the tubing for the misallignment spacers that i have to make for the coil-overs...

It will be home this week and I cant wait...this is my belated Xmas gift to myself!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:21 pm 
WB Contributor

looks real good dub!!!
do you have pics of how you braced the front beam?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 am 

I will take some pics on tusday when i get it home i hope, but the bracing is about a 45 degree angle pipe to the c coupler plate os that i can just bolt the front plate on it...tht way i can remove the front beam if i ever need to so there is nothign welded to the beam other then the rack mount...the plates are as far out as you can get too...you can barely see the plates in the pictures...well till i get the new pics up later guys~!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 pm 

Well not much has gone on with the rail because I have had to worry about graduation and all taht fun stuff, but now all of that is out of the way and I now have a Marketing degree (which means I like to sell things) I can work on getting more parts together for the rail.

Yesterday I recieved in my Corbeau Cr1 racing seats with the 5th slot install that are black cloth...they are so comfy...they make a great reading and work chair while on the computer. I also am waiting for my gastank to come in from [url]alluminumgastanks.net[/url] It will be a 12 x 33 end fill tank with a sump with two 1/4 npt fittings so i can always upgrad to a fuel injected motor later, and the gas tank will give me a good 16 gallons of chug-a-lug fuel so I am not worried about filling up all the time. Not to mention a spot for the electronic sending unit for the fuel tank, yay for gauges and no more sticks like my old tank!

I am about to finish ordering the rest of the steering odds and ends for the rail and then me and my welder/ fabricator will be making everything fit...aka weld while I hold everythign where I like it. I am thinking hard about cutting the side out of my rail and making it wider to give more room in the cockpit area for the seats so it is mroe comfy to shift and sit with a passenger.

Hope to have all of this done by the end of summer! pictures will be coming of all the goodies soon!

Board index » General » Buggy Builds