It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:39 pm 
Global moderator

Looking forward to riding with you soon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:52 pm 

got my gas tank in. it is a 10 x 33 tank with an end fill, electric fuel sender mount, a shoot out vent for the pressure build up in the tank, and a sump on the bottom with two 1/4 npt fuel outlets on the sides of the sump and i do not know why they gave me a thrid on the bottom but i will use it now for a spare tank inlet...guess now is a time to decide to have a spare tank.

I am now ready to get the tank, peddles, seats, and steering in the car!...getting closer!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:23 pm 

ok well i took the weekend to go caping at pilot mountain in nc. the bad news is that it was the hottest weekend there in many years and even set records for the heat, the good news is that it was an hour away from the guy that was rebuilding a set of stock heads and boring them out for 92 for my 1835cc motor that needed new heads. From what I can tell he did a great job, he put my high rev springs back in and put new exhaust and intake valves in and fly cut the heads an extra 10,000th to give me some play with the compression with the motor. the best part is yet to come...on the way back a buddy of mine gave me a call to tel me that he had gotten up with his ex to make sure she still had the bus transaxle at her house from when they were dating, and she did. That meant that I could go pick it up. I had asked this guy if he knew of anyone with a transaxle when I was looking for one and he said he used to have one and if his ex still had it that i could have it since he only does "slammed" rigs. Well he took forever getting back to me so I bought a 3 rib from the air-cooled shop here and it came with the stock arms, cv's, and axles with the transaxle. I was able to sell the axles and cv's but couldnt do anything with the stock arms so to the trash they went. Sorry back to the topic at hand...I went to go pick it up on the way home after I got his call. When I pulled up I was praying that this guy knew bus stuff and it was not some IRS sedan trans. How was I surprised when i looked around the type 1 that was in the garage and there was a bus trans with rags over the front half! I was like "score" its just what i was hoping for another 3 rib...then I went to take the rags off to make sure i didnt have any black widow's comming home with me and then..."bam"...saw that it was a 5 rib...the best thing about all of this is that all it cost me was my time and gas to get it...

I guess I understand those comercials that its cost many differnt things but the end result is priceless!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:20 am 

well got alot of welding done on the rail...more pics to come today of the finished project the welding day yesterday!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

well i have to get some mounting hardware when i got to work on monday so really the cool pics ( with everything installed) will not be till monday or tuesday...keep a look out....

I am getting closer...its been a long time coming!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:33 pm 

well i got to make a addition to my gas pedal so that it does not lay all the way back when i floor it and it gives my foot a rest and a "stop" so that it does not slide off.
this was the cutting brake mount that i got to make as well!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:38 pm 
WB Contributor

looks good dub! i like the pedal :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 pm 

DUBclub wrote:
I will be running 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims in the rear and 33x9.50x15 on 15x6 rims in the front. My fabricator has built many of rock crawlers and we have spent some time in building this suspention as functional as i can for the street and be able to have fun on the trails...this rig will be able to have some fun on the trails but it is no where near what I would want to try to go balls out with...

You might surprise yourself a little on that one. :shock: Nice looking ride. 8) Keep up the hard work. I can't imagine how much work college and buggy building must be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm 

So i am curious what you mean by I will be surprised....hmmmm....anyways yes doing both was hard and now I am working 3 part time jobs and having a girl friend too...so yeah i am busy now too ubt that makes time go by fast when i am saving up money to get a new part...

I am getting brake lines soon...i hope this month!...im so close i can almost smell the exhaust!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:32 pm 

DUBclub wrote:
So i am curious what you mean by I will be surprised....hmmmm....

I think he saying how much better off road it will be... Looks good :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 am 

yeah i will say i would love to just go take it out to the woods asap once the brake lines are in...but i would just be putting me behind for a long time...I will have this thing done i hope soon and i cannot wait to cruise my town and show this thing off!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:57 pm 

."bam"...saw that it was a 5 rib...the best thing about all of this is that all it cost me was my time and gas to get it...

I guess I understand those comercials that its cost many differnt things but the end result is priceless![/quote]

Damn a free 5 rib!

nice work so far.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:24 pm 

well I am takign the plunge and building a 2110 out of the 1835...i have a friend that is building the motor after i have met him from dry sumping a friends motor.

82 crank chev. journals
90.5 h-beam 5.500 chev. rods
eagle 110 cam
straight cut cam gears
new CB Perf. Los Panchito heads
1.25 - 1 rocher arms
new dual 44 carbs
new 1 5/8 ceramic exhaust.
sand sealed pully
heavy duty oil pump

more to come once i get the parts in then i will list as much as i can...

keeping a 8.5 - 1 compression

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:26 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

why not put 94 jugs and pistons on it and have a 2275, jugs and pistons cost the same, just have to have a little machine done to block and the heads cost the same also if you are buying them new

Chris

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:25 am 

well i have always wanted a 2110 and majority of the life of this buggy will spend its time around town and on the beach...and down here .... get this... a speed limit on the beach of 15... so the machine work was going to be an extra cost...and the case was easlily clearanced and the cam is getting clearanced to...

I would love a bigger motor but with 100 temps just sitting in traffic...i figured small stroker would be good...and a great improvement from a 1835...with dual 40's

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:15 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

no problem man to each his own, i just thought i would add my 2 cents since some folks are not aware the pistons and jugs cost the same and that they can have a larger engine with only the cost of the machine work being extra, also fyi the 94's should'nt run much if any hotter than the 90.5's, they both have thick cylinder walls, its the 92's like was in the 1835 that have thin cylinder walls and tend to run a little hotter

Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 pm 

sorry i forgot about the 94's i jsut had the 92's stuck in the brain...i wanted to not try to get to greedy with machining on an old case...

well time for bed and work at 6am...weee 12hr days for the next lil while...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 pm 

Well so I finally gomt some free time after I got off my first film project!...I switched jobs and started to work for the film industry. My first gig was working on the first season of a new show on "showtime" the name of the show is "HOMELAND". while I was up there I was able to make a new addition to the rail and a much needed one! I was paired up with a great new friend who actually built a friend of mines motor that really hauls!!!

here is the break down...I started with my old 1835 with dual dell 40's and a full flowed block and some stock heads...and now for the new!!!

2110cc
90.5 mm Bore x 82 stroke
8.3 - 1 compression ratio

82mm 4340 Chromoly Counter weighted crank Chevy Journals
Racer Spacer
90.5mm AA Slipper Skirt Pistons
5.500" H-Beam 4340 Super Race rods with Chevy journals
CB Performance Los Panchito Heads 40 x 35.5 mm Stainles Steel Valves, CNC ported with single springs
Dual 44 HPMX Empi Carbs
Thick wall match ported Manifolds
Double Thrust Cam Bearings
Eagle W-110 Cam
Straight Cut Gears
Eagle Lifters
1.25-1 Rockers with Solid Shafts
Chromoly Pushrods
AS41 Case
-Full Flowed
-Shuffle Pins
-Case Savers
-Breather Box
Empi HD Oil Pump
Sand Sealed Pully
Tri-Mil 1 5/8" Ceramic Coated Header with Long Stainless Steel muffler / spark arrester
094 Bosch Distributer with Petronix Igniter
Bosch Blue Coil
Kennedy Stage 2 Clutch
Sachs Clutch disc
96 Pass Oil Cooler With Fan and Thermostat

I know I am missing some things...but ohh well its nice having a motor at the house on my new stand that I made to run and make the neighbors ask what sounds so sick!!!

just switched transaxles in the rail too went from a 3rib to a 5 rib...

Got my rear tires...
Interco Trxsus STS 33 x 13.50 x 15

I have a gauges sitting a a friends shop that I have to go pick up over xmas...also there are 6 headlight housings 4 off-road 2 for headlights

Mounting the oil cooler soon...and then on to tack break lines...

it is nice to have some time at home now to work on this thing eventhough that time is hard to come by because its time to take care of a house that I have not been aroudn since may.

Thanks guys for all the support through this way too long of a project!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:43 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Glad the buggy is going good. Love homeland too, back in DC in April myself for a few months too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:51 pm 

Well it looks like when Facebook changed the picture URL it screwed up my pictures on here I will have to upload some of the current progress. I am getting the buggy wired up I hope in a month and when that happens the transaxle is going to come out and get built by a friend that has a lot of exp build custom transaxles. The wiring of the buggy and trans should be done in feb. and the motor tuned under the load of the buggy at the same time.

I need to figure out my spring rate for the coil overs since the guy that I got the shocks from have way...way to heavy of a spring rate on them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:14 pm 

Well I'm now trying photobucket....here goes nothing.

Going to take some more today on the progress. Thanks for the support on this long...too long of a project that is now coming to an end I hope!

Last edited by DUBclub on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:53 pm 

I feel your pain on the long projects! Buggy is looking great though. No reason to stop now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:43 am 
WB Contributor

Keep up the good work, it looks really mean. It should be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm 

got some work done the other day and today...

got the horn done, winch mounted and skid plate done, fuel pump is off and hole blocked and now for some more stuff tomorrow

mirrors and new electric fuel pump and winch control box....getting closer!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm 

Nice rail... Thanks for the pics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 pm 

Thanks guys for all the positive support and questions and advice during the build it has meant the world to someone that when I started this project barely knew the difference between metric and sae other than they should not mix...aka sae does not screw a metric nut unless you are the one that want to get screwed...

Have come a long way it just is nice to take a break from the build because of work and then post up on here when I'm back working on it and it feels like not time has separated.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds