It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:39 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Your car looks great. Just an fyi my bumper looks like a Pug after hitting a few trees and buggys, so try to avoid them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:13 am 

I've seen your videos and I have no plans of driving quite like you! :shock:

When you put that bumper on I loved the look. I had to try and copy it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:36 am 
WB Contributor

fortydegnorth wrote:
2.3 turbo that has a 2.5 liter ranger crank, it's a stroker. Originally it was an engine from a turbocoupe or svo mustang. Has a few mods. :wink:

That sounds like it has the some real power potential. When someone mentions Ford power my mind goes to the pinto for some reason. Thanks for the info I am always interested to see what other are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:34 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

fortydegnorth wrote:
I've seen your videos and I have no plans of driving quite like you! :shock:

When you put that bumper on I loved the look. I had to try and copy it.

The objective is build as if brad might be driving it! Then you know it will last and be built right,lol :lol: :lol: :lol: . Brad is like a test driver for research and development projects,if he can flip it,roll it,run the hell out of it and it last,then it's a good one.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:37 pm 

Had some big problems with getting the engine running but I'm making headway now. Had to swap my ported, big valve and big cam head for a beat stock head. Apparently I ported a little thin and I was getting water in the oil bad. That's all fixed and I got it running on the Megasquirt ECU. Lots of tuning to do but I did get it stable enough to make a trip up and down a 400' driveway and through the yard. Felt good to move under it's own power. No second gear yet. I'm sure that's a linkage adjustment. Have an oil leak. Not sure if it's the pan or the rear main. Easy access, no matter what, but it's a setback. Had to raise the nitrogen in the front shocks to 300#. Made a huge difference in ride. It was leaning in a turn and staying like that and the front end was almost bottomed out. May take more or less but for now it seemed pretty good. The back shocks are holding pretty well, but they are topped out on pressure and I really think the 2.5 Fox would be a better fit. When I win the lotto or one of you rich bastages send some money my way I'll upgrade. Power assist steering seemed to work but it's so mild I almost forgot I had it. Easy to turn but not quite like power steering feels in a car. Clutch and brakes need some bleeding and adjustment but I have plenty of time to work on that. So far it was a good couple rainy days to work on the buggy. I hope to have it fine tuned soon but I also have all winter to get it buttoned up.

On a side note, the body panels make terrible noise with this engine. It's like putting your head in a trashcan and beating on it. Definitely will be lining them with something to keep vibration down. Floor isn't completely bolted either so it didn't help the vibrating noise either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:57 pm 

Nice to see that you got it out man... Good info on the body panels too... You ready to make me a bumper yet... :mrgreen:

Before you know it you guys are going to have me trying to buy a welder and a tubing bender and a notcher... Now I need to win the lotto... Wish I lived closer... You have a nice buggy...

Last edited by myrddin on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:29 pm 
Master fabricator

myrddin wrote:
Before you know it you guys are going to have me trying to buy a welder and a pipe bender and a notcher... Now I need to win the lotto... Wish I lived closer... You have a nice buggy...

PLEASE, it's called a tubing bender. Pipe is something used to smoke weed not for building a chassis. :P
Other than that the word pipe isn't allowed to be used here. :wink:

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:33 pm 

Got it :shock: lol... And look at that I even fixed it... I'm learning... Slow but surely ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:42 pm 

I'm sure we could fab up some kind of bumper for you. I have a link pin beam and if I remember right you have balljoint. The spacing between the tubes is different for the two or I could use mine as a mock-up. Get it all rolling and on a trailer and we'll see what we can do. My slow season is coming quick and it's either work on the buggy or brew beer......or both! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 pm 

Sounds like a plan... It is balljoint for now anyway... next year i will redo the front as i did the rear this year... Once I get the shocks welded up I will plan a trip... You far from the kings island area? Been there many times... What do you plan to insulate the body with? And where did you have the body made?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:53 pm 

I'm about 35-40 minutes from Kings Island. Made all the panels myself. They really weren't that hard at all. It's just sheetmetal, so a cheap set of electric shears, couple hammers and a few beers usually do it. I have a small brake to but it's not necessary at all. Not sure on the insulation for the panels yet. Started a thread in the talk section for ideas. I'll have to experiment. The noise is really bad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 pm 

Got a little tuning done. Stabilized the offset on the injectors and started to tune the VE table. Timing was off a little from commanded and actual so I got that adjusted too. Runs better but it's still a ways off. Need to figure out the off idle stutter that it seems to have. Little lean under some boost so that will get adjusted real quick before I lose the headgasket. Crappy video after I got it tuned decent enough to idle pretty well.

http://s103.beta.photobucket.com/user/f ... 5.mp4.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:36 pm 

Found out why the battery kept dying. The alternator wasn't charging. I didn't have the field wire hooked up. :roll:

Now having the alternator hooked up and charging at 14v has created a huge issue. Engine runs like total crap now. Can barely idle and more often than not it just dies. The megasquirt is awesome for control, tuning and cost but it is creating a headache the size of the Grand Canyon. Looking for help and answers on a couple other sites. Hopefully have it going soon so I can go out and play before it's an ice cube here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 pm 

Which Megasquirt version are you running and is it also controlling the ignition ?

Huey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm 

Megasquirt 2 controlling everything. Sequential ignition coil on plug with LS2 coils. 36-1 crank trigger and cam synchronizer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm 

Had a good day today. Got the Megasquirt working. Had to change some wiring and add an RFI noise filter to the power wire. Worked like a charm. Fixed an oil leak as well. It's ready to do some more tuning, tie up some wires and run the living crap out of it. This has been a month long ordeal and it's a total relief to know I can go riding soon. :mrgreen: :D 8)

Last edited by fortydegnorth on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:33 pm 

Awesome build man!! I'm new to the woods buggy life but man I'm already addicted. Can't wait to see this thing hit some hills!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:47 pm 

I'll update this thread as the work continues. I had a terrible business year and have made a couple hard decisions. First decision is to sell off some stuff to pay the bills. This includes the Ford engine. I'm selling it little by little and getting some of my money back. Long way to go yet. Once the engine and parts are sold off, and hopefully work stabilizes, I'll be swapping in another engine. Looks like Ecotec may make it in there but I have more research to do first. I hate when a plan all comes together and things are wrapping up and working and then you have to start over. At least this way I can keep the buggy and just swap engines. I've been looking for a job to make up for some business losses but no luck yet. Updates to come. I have all kinds of high end 2.3 turbo ford parts for sale. Let me know if you're looking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 pm 
Master fabricator

Unfortunately your not alone, I have had a disastrous year as well. I'm trying to stay positive and all but I don't see things improving anytime soon. That "Hope and Change" thing better kick in real fast before I'm forced to eat my machines and tools.

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:14 am 

Maybe you guys could post a link to your Resume. With all of the good people on here I'm sure some would know of a job opening here and there.

Huey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:56 pm 

Sold most of the engine today and some other parts. It's selling fast and snow may be moving in. I may have an Ecotec or some other engine in pretty quickly. Looks so wrong tore apart with no engine but I know it's an upgrade on weight. What I have now is a big empty cave:

The adapter is available for anyone wanting a 4 banger ford.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 pm 

You guys who bend your own tubing are awesome. I have a hard time getting my light tabs welded on straight. Of course, it's the first fab work I've done in about 7 years, so there a little learning curve. But the hands remember the motions, I just have to stop thinking so much and just let it happen. I forgot how much I enjoy welding. Maybe one day I'll be making a bumper or bracing. I don't think I could ever build an entire frame from scratch.

Nice work

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:05 am 

Don't sell yourself short. I'm just a guy that mows lawns and I can do it. Practice makes it much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:54 am 
BOTM Winner

Really sorry to hear your business has dropped alot. It's happening everywhere so your not alone. I have been with the same company for 28 years and up until a few years ago I felt secure there, not anymore! Hang in there buddy, it will get better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 am 

Thanks Ody. It always comes back. For the last 16 years it's made us a good living and it will again. I'm looking for work but that's mainly because I'm getting tired of working outside and buying this high priced equipment. Just bought one new mower last year and it was $11,000. I'm ready for a desk job or a city job. :lol:

The buggy should be back and going pretty quick if the weather cooperates and we get some snow. I've convinced myself that this is an upgrade and it makes it easier to swallow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds