It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:41 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:00 pm 

That is just a street filter. It actually has been damaged so much during the building process that it has become the "keep crap out of the turbo" filter until I get a new one. For offroad I will likely get an outerwear or use an UMP style Donaldson canister filter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
Wow ! Very nice work on this machine , your attention to detail is amazing !
The buggy is looking outstanding !!!!! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm 
BOTM Winner

Your doing an awesome job! cant wait to see how it turns out!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 pm 

Got the shock situation figured out today. I'm pretty sure I need the 2.5's but I got these to work well for now. No test drive obviously but it is sitting at ride height and has some spring to it now. Fox says 500# is max for these shocks but I've heard of people running up to 650#. Not recommended obviously, but I have 570# in the rear and they are sitting just about perfect. Fronts are at 240# now and may be a bit too stiff. I'll wait for some testing under power before I change anything. I can see some 2.5's on the rear or some coilover shocks in my future once this thing runs.

Setting the pressure requires having the shock at full extension. These are 16" shocks so the axles were taken off the stub side and I had to jack the car about 3' off the ground. I got a deal on these shocks, yes they're overkill in length. I hope to get the floor, seats and belts in this week. Windshield will be getting cut soon as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:51 pm 

I bought some Rustoleum roll on bedliner the other day for coating the aluminum floor in the buggy. I started by sanding it all down with some 100 grit to make it nice and rough. I had some PPG DX503 aluminum conditioner that treats the aluminum to take paint. Basically it's just acid I think. So I prepped it, let it dry after rinsing and then rolled the bedliner on. I'm not sure it'll stick or be worth a crap, but I'll try it. I also taped off the tree bars, except for a strip across the top so I could put the bedliner on them too. Nice, nonslip surface to climb in and out of.

Another of the floor

Tree bar

Just a side shot to show how it sits with the shocks nitrogen set high enough to hold it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:08 pm 

A little progress today. Got the seatbelts all in and adjusted for now. Seats are in and sliders work great for adjusting. I temporarily put the floor in and I really like the way the bedliner looks on it. Winch is temporarily mounted too. I need to take the mount off for it and sandblast and paint it. It's getting closer. :roll:

Seats and belts

Floor turned out nice. I like the contrast with the shifter and brakes

Hopefully I can fit a cooler and a toolbox back here:

Winch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:27 am 
BOTM Winner

Damn, that is one pimped out ride. Awesome work.

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:05 pm 
WB Contributor

This is a great build one of the best I have seen. It looks a bit like a Rabbit frame from years gone by. If I ever built a single seat car this is the model I would start with. I don't like coping others.I have not seen anyone running a V6 Acura on this site the wood in Florida has at least seven mine being the last built. I moved up to South East Tennessee about four months ago and I have yet to see another buggy in the Chattanooga Area. Love the photo's.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 pm 

Thanks for all the compliments. It's my second buggy and I learned a lot the first go round. If I was retired and had the money I would be starting another one already. I love the design and building process. I'm a little frustrated with the guy updating my engine management. He said 3 weeks and I shipped it July 20th. Almost 8 weeks now and still no computer. Hoping to get the windshield done by next week. My wife is heading up a bachelorette party this Saturday so I have most of the weekend to mess with the buggy. At least all 4 wheels will be black by Monday! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:32 pm 

Man, your rail is fantastic... I hope mine turns out something like this one day... thanks for sharing. Where did you get your lights? Did you make that bumper in the front?... and what did you paint the frame with.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:49 pm 

The lights are import HID lights. Run about $95 a piece from California mainly. They were sold at Kragen Auto parts for a while. Search Kragen HID lights or search eBay. They are everywhere. Probably not the best but they blast some high powered light for the money. Frame is powder coated. Bumber and entire frame I made myself. I wouldn't buy a frame again. I would like to start another frame for my dad and use what I've learned on the last two to continue changing things for the better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

Didn't make much progress this weekend but I did get the rail outside for some pics and to clean the garage.

Got the windshield in and it turned out pretty nice:

Inside and rearview mirror:

10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag:

Side view. Still need to paint the wheels. Been saying that for years now.

Paint really metallic in the sun. Its a pearl layered paint. Needs sanded and buffed really bad because I suck at painting:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:22 pm 
WB Contributor

whats the tit sticking up in front of the windshield?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:31 am 

Windshield wiper arm attaches to it. I'm having a little trouble getting it set just right so the wiper isn't installed yet. I figure I have more important things to finish first.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:34 pm 
WB Contributor

more important things? like finding me some cv's in your parts pile? :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 pm 

I looked, no success yet. I have one more spot to check tomorrow. I'll be at my dad's place and I keep most of my stuff there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:51 pm 

really nice buggy..the lil details are what sets it apart 8)

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:05 pm 

It's very close now. I'm fighting the megasquirt engine management a little. I've had a couple puffs and coughs but no fire yet. Hopefully I get this thing running this week. Basically it's a done deal if it runs. The little details are the easy part. I'm anxious to get this thing going. Anyone a fuel injection guru near Dayton Oh?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:42 pm 
WB Contributor

Hey man great looking car. The fabrication is top notch. I would check your ground connections on the motor and to the chassis and transmission. These WC ECU's are very sensitive to grounding. Don't use a test light to check. Use a good OHM/ AMP meter unless you want a new ECU when it lets out the puff of magic smoke. I have a t-shirt. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

This thing is pretty sweet! Nice job. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:33 pm 

I was able to get the buggy started today for the first time. The only fact about starting an engine for the first time is you'll see all the leaks and problems you didn't see before. It's a very rough tune but it started. Found a massive vacuum leak that needs to be fixed. Small radiator leak where I welded the support brackets on, needs some welding. Then the real kicker, water in the oil. These engines are very notorious for head gasket problems. I don't think I could have popped it that quickly but I will check some of the bolts that cross into water to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. Also need to re-torque the head since it was heated up for the first time. That may cure the water problem.....doubtful. Looks like more work but it's getting there. I'm ready to just drive the thing. I hate the waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:48 pm 
WB Contributor

Glad to hear it started and ran. With any hope you just need to add some RTV on some of the water jacket bolts. I think I have had my car on the road for almost a year of riding and I have finally replaced all of my China hose clamps with the made in USA hose clamps from Amazon Hose and Rubber. It is a process and as you have said taking your time has defiantly paid off this car is very nice and should provide years of enjoyment. Hard core enjoyment. Subies are a challenge to rebuild and they require some real specific tools, much like the water cooled VW type 4 engines. Subies are far far far superior to the VW version.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:58 pm 

Even worse than Subie I'm Ford.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:43 pm 
WB Contributor

What Ford engine are you running it maybe in this tread and if so I apologize.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:36 pm 

2.3 turbo that has a 2.5 liter ranger crank, it's a stroker. Originally it was an engine from a turbocoupe or svo mustang. Has a few mods. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds