It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:47 pm 

I didn't have any time over the summer to work on the car but finally got moving again this winter. I'm painfully close to powdercoat now. With any luck parts will show up this week to finish up fabrication and it will be off to the coaters next week. Here are some pics of the 2.3 Ford, stroked to 2.5 now. The turbo is an HX35W from a Cummins diesel. With moderate boost I really think this engine should produce well over 400hp at the crank. Making these cars street legal doubles the budget and headaches. I just don't have time to travel to ride spots enough and this way I can at least cruise through town in the evenings.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m129 ... %20engine/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Well, its about time! :mrgreen: Looks awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Hope you don't mind fortydegnorth but your build needs to be posted. :mrgreen: Looks killer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:13 am 

Thanks for posting the pics, I don't mind. I just finished up the front bump stops tonight. I was running the front suspension through its travel and noticed at full compression my tie rods were hitting the limit strap clevis. I had to cut them off and move them forward. Its all the detail crap that take days. I'm so close but every time I start looking it over I notice so much work. I have a few weeks to work on it everyday, all day so I should get it wrapped up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 am 

You sure that 091 will hold up to 400hp ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:44 am 

I'm sure that it won't! The great thing about turbo is its very adjustable. It will not be hard to turn down the boost and run a moderate hp to save parts. I would like to dyno the engine just to see what its capable of but I would use an engine dyno not a chassis dyno.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm 

Its really close now. I got the X bracing over the engine done, the front bump stops are done, a few gussets, a foot rest/stop for the passenger. If I could just get my linkage from turboblue I could get it to powder by monday. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:11 pm 

fortydegnorth wrote:
I'm sure that it won't! The great thing about turbo is its very adjustable. It will not be hard to turn down the boost and run a moderate hp to save parts. I would like to dyno the engine just to see what its capable of but I would use an engine dyno not a chassis dyno.

Smart thinking..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:00 am 

fortydegnorth wrote:

Take your motor down to Drews and he can dyno it for you.It should bolt right up using your adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:05 am 

I never thought about having Brian dyno the engine, good idea. I got the shift linkage done and posted some pics in the transmission section. The frame is stripped down and except for some grinding its ready for powder coating. I plan to deliver it this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:27 am 
WB Contributor

you might be the only one with a forklift in their garage :P

good lookin bug.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 pm 

The forklift is the best FREE tool I have ever had. When I worked a regular job the company replaced this forklift with a newer one. They sold it to me for what they thought was a scrap price of $200. My boss ripped the check up later that afternoon, it was just a show so the other workers weren't jealous. It runs good and is a great lift. We raise the mowers up and scrape the decks and sharpen blades without ever bending over. :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:24 pm 

It's back! :mrgreen: I got the frame back from the powder coaters today. They did the frame in black, obviously, and the exhaust is ceramic. All other parts I blasted and painted myself over the last week or two. I would have a bunch of parts mounted but I forgot to order the stainless nuts when I ordered the bolts and washers. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 pm 
WB Contributor

get crackin that thing looks freakin awesome man beautiful work.
kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 am 

Man, I only missed getting to see that thing by a few days. It looks like everything came out good. Keep posting pics!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:29 am 
BOTM Winner

Awsome build! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

SWEET! that thing looks good.cant wait to see it all together. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 pm 

Thanks, got the stainless nuts and some more bolts today from McMaster Carr. They are awsome for stainless hardware. Expensive but I can order before 7 or 8 at night and still have it the next day. More pictures to come thursday, if everything goes well it should be a roller plus some by then.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:46 am 

Once you go black...

Wow! that thing is SuuuuWeeet! A mechanical masterpiece.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:02 pm 

It took a little longer than I thought to get some pictures. Its finally a roller! The wheels need painted but that can be done later. Got all the hydraulic lines for the brakes and clutch bled and had no leaks, which is a miracle. Shifter, transmission and engine are all in. The engine needs a ton more work but its at least hanging there. The steering is done except the feed and return hoses to the pump. I can tell these shocks are going to take some tuning and experimenting but all in all they are easy to work on. Electrical will be soon and it will suck. This car has more electrical crap than my truck does. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:44 pm 

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thing is sweet :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:56 pm 

i like the mirror

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:44 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

wow... :!:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:36 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

It’s looking bad ass. I remember when you started it and it looked good then. I just wish I had the patience you do. I’m on my 2nd or 3rd buggy since you started it. I can’t wait to see it in the woods. Will it be ready for the Wellsville bash?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:00 pm 

I hope its ready for Wellsville! :lol: I know it won't be ready for D&K unfortunately but Wellsville is far enough off that it should be ready. I just got the paint for the aluminum panels so once they are painted I'm ready for some wiring. I'm not patient either but after building my first one I learned exactly what I wanted, and this is it, so I've spread the cost and time working on it over 3 winters. This hasn't been a cheap car to build and spreading it out made it a lot easier. Thanks for the compliments, I should have some new pics after the weekend hopefully with some really bright metalic green in them! :mrgreen:

Board index » General » Buggy Builds