It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest build update..
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:28 am 

Hello everyone,
Ive got some more work done this weekend. I went over to my new friend Kendels shop, and he helped me out alot on building my upper rear shock mounts and new rear cage.. Very smart guy he's on here quite abit. I took some pics of the rear cage and shock mounts. I also got some other stuff done on the buggy too. I got my steering almost completely done just need 2 straight hydraulic hose ends. I also ran all my breather lines and gas lines..
Heres some pics please let me know what you think..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 am 

that looks pretty cool,i love the axles.that is gonna be one sharp buggy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:03 am 
Global moderator

Very Impressive,,,I want to see that beast doin it's business :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:54 am 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Lookin great!!! I like the steering set up. I needs me a rack!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:12 am 
BOTM Winner

looking real good, cant wait to see it out there ripping it up

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:52 am 
BOTM Winner

Looking real good. Out of curiosity what spring rate and valving did you go with your shocks?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:14 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
Looking real good. Out of curiosity what spring rate and valving did you go with your shocks?

Well thanks for the comments guys
Honestly i cant remember. I called a fox dealership out in california that was familiar with sand buggies and asked thier suggestion. They told me everything i needed based on what i had (weight, travel, what im gonna do)..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:18 pm 
BOTM Winner

The coil springs and shock bodies should have tags on them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 pm 
BOTM Winner

WOW. That is awesome looking, Nick. I bet that thing will be wicked!! Hurry up and git-r-done!!!

-Dakotah

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I hope you like your power steering I had that set up I did not like it I went to a char-lynn set up
hope you the best keep me posted
R/R

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 pm 

lookin good... keep the pics coming

Woody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:48 am 

rockrockets1 wrote:
I hope you like your power steering I had that set up I did not like it I went to a char-lynn set up
hope you the best keep me posted
R/R

I read alot of stuff similar to this (below) when i weighing the pros and cons on charlynn over Ram sorry stole the post from another website. I found alot of guys said the exact same thing about charlynn..

I had a class 1 race car back in 1990 that had a charlyn in it and it was a rack killer for sure. All the feedback and shock load went through the rack directly. At the steering wheel there wasnt much feedback and it steered fine in the dirt as long as you were not in a high speed straight. When on the asphalt it seemed like you were allways chasing steering inputs, just as if the wheel alighnmenst was toed out. Ive now got a class 10 car and use UMP which uses a ram that attaches directly to the rack right next to the tie rod attach points and absorbes all the shock/feedback before it can destroy your rack. I love it , it steers like a dream and has zero feedback at the steering wheel. Mckenzies sells these as well or you can get them directly from UMP in San Diego,Ca. My buddy is a co driver in a class 5 baja ( M.O.R.E. series )and complaines about the charlynn setup constantly (mainly the high speed wandering). He is trying to get the car owner to change over to UMP or Howe. My opinion is before you buy anything check out the UMP. you would not be disappointed. The prive is good too. Ask the guys at McKenzies about it...I ran charlynn for many years and thought it was the best tell i got a servo/ram setup. I would never recommend or run another charlynn again..

Why didnt you like it. Everyone ive talked to loves it and recommended it over char-lynn?? And for the shocks and coils. The wieght of the coils in ingraved on the ends which i cannot see already assembled. And doesnt say anything about the valving??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:30 am 
Global moderator

I'm getting mixed feelings about using the char lynn now :?: I just hate not to at least try it since I got it so I will know first hand. :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:00 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I use mine on a CD buggy but I also had it on my reg buggy as well. I have ran the same saco rack on 2 diffrent buggys for over 8 years now I don't know why they call them "rack killers" and 6 years ago when I built my wifes buggy {well the one she has now} I used a econo rack still working fine .And GOD knows she don't cut it no slack! the ram set up to me was like not having power steering it did'nt snatch the wheel out of my hand or anything but it just didnot live up to what I call power .Jeff Busby with the LS1 CD has had his over 100 MPH in moab it handled just fine .so who knows I sincerely hope you the best

ps fire bug if the winning bid I saw was what you paid you got it at a very good deal
you will love it

PSS "rack killer" there ain't nothing as hard on a front end as a CD
all the weight and force are up front I have seen front rims bent to the hub
center CRUSHED and it not snatch out of your hand or hurt the rack

R/R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:14 am 
Global moderator

Hey Nick,,sorry for the hijak'n,,maybe we can get back on track,,, Would the powers that be maybe move our debate to "steering" or something,,, back to Nick's buggy,,,,you're the man,,,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:23 pm 

Firebug wrote:
Hey Nick,,sorry for the hijak'n,,maybe we can get back on track,,, Would the powers that be maybe move our debate to "steering" or something,,, back to Nick's buggy,,,,you're the man,,,

No no this is not hijacking at all. This is what i want. I like when people tell me what they think and recommend tahts the point of this thread.. It would be hijacking if someone came on this thread and was like. I have 2 sets of bla bla bla for sale.. Or something that had nothing at all to do with my buggy or thread..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 pm 

rockrockets1 wrote:
I use mine on a CD buggy but I also had it on my reg buggy as well. I have ran the same saco rack on 2 diffrent buggys for over 8 years now I don't know why they call them "rack killers" and 6 years ago when I built my wifes buggy {well the one she has now} I used a econo rack still working fine .And GOD knows she don't cut it no slack! the ram set up to me was like not having power steering it did'nt snatch the wheel out of my hand or anything but it just didnot live up to what I call power .Jeff Busby with the LS1 CD has had his over 100 MPH in moab it handled just fine .so who knows I sincerely hope you the best

ps fire bug if the winning bid I saw was what you paid you got it at a very good deal
you will love it

PSS "rack killer" there ain't nothing as hard on a front end as a CD
all the weight and force are up front I have seen front rims bent to the hub
center CRUSHED and it not snatch out of your hand or hurt the rack

R/R

Why didnt you like the servo set-up though?? And what was your components. I was told by some of the racers if you go with cheap imitations you will notice the difference. I would just like to know what are some of the cons of the servo ram cause i have not had many people say anything bad. Besides price

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:50 am 

Hello??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:53 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Mine was a all saco set up. It's on my old buggy still a man named Mark Croft has it now it just was not quick enough or powerful enough .I don't know how to explain it but the char=lynn if you are against a tree with the front end turn the wheels and the front tires will scoot the hole buggy over thats power :!: The ram servo set up just stoped the shock thats all when I found my self in a deep rut or something and the front tires were binded up it just don't want to turn .the char-lynn will turn no mater what that I like

R/R

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:16 am 
BOTM Winner

My experience with the Servo/Ram setup has been less than desirable and contrary to what I was led to believe when I chose to go this route. It is similar to what Rockrockets has stated. Its more of a power assist than actual power steering. My componets are Saco and Sweet so its not junk stuff. The odd thing is that Madmike is running a similar setup to mine and he says he can use one hand all day long. The difference with his than mine is the Pump, he is using the stock Subaru. I will say that I have a greater castor angle and larger tires than his and I am sure it has some bearing on it. Plumberbill uses a similar system with Howel/Sweet products and his works a whole lot better than mine too. So it seems that there are variations in systems that produce different results.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:32 pm 
Master fabricator

Just so were all CLEAR this topic belongs in Buggy Build to start with. I will get a second opinion, might be moving it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:14 pm 
BOTM Winner

you guys better run the mod police are on the way :lol:

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 pm 
BOTM Winner

The charlyn set up is for tractors which are heavier than buggys. I just use my big guns an let er eat :mrgreen: If stufff gets stoopid I bring in the cutter brake/slipping tire locker front end swinger lever thingy into play :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:06 am 
BOTM Winner

MadMike wrote:
Just so were all CLEAR this topic belongs in Buggy Build to start with. I will get a second opinion, might be moving it anyway.

Took ya long enough! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:34 pm 
BOTM Winner

Dang madmike means buisness yall!!!! haha.

-Dakotah

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

Board index » General » Buggy Builds