It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Buggy Build
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:15 pm 

So here goes... I decided to get a buggy with the intent of making it street legal, woods ready, and maybe an occasional trip to the dunes all on a budget. I bought two buggies with the parts in boxes. One was a roller, one bare frame. Both were Berrien Warrior frames. The roller had been chopped up and welded, butchered by what appears to be countless owners. The other frame was brand new, but sat outside and rusted. The previous owner also dented the rollbar tubes while moving it drunk with a forklift. My plan is to go with this frame, rebuild it, and hopefully drive away in a pretty sweet buggy.
Here are some pics

Last edited by Ringer on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: First Buggy Build
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:55 pm 
Hill Climber

Keep us posted. If you run into any problems just ask for help. You will get it.
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:14 pm 

Here are more pics...
The roller"Image

The Frame I'm Using
Cutting Out the bad Tubes
Fiance Helping Install new tubing
Tubing Fitment
Remade tubes with 3" higher roof
I added the V bracing and Treebars
My winch bumper I made

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:39 pm 
BOTM Winner

First off welcome. Your one lucky guy to have a gal that will help you like that. I noticed you live in the Chardon area. Im in Hartsgrove so if you need anything let me know.
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:58 pm 

The bumper and winch kicks ass. Im gonna have to build me something like that..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

First off, Welcome to the site!! Second, That winch bumper is Badass!! I was the second owner of that buggy about 6-7 years ago, then it went to Steve for his son and then it went to Ian who was young and lost interest. You are better off going with the other frame. There has been a lot of fab/mods on the blue one.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:13 pm 

Thanks. I am really pleased with the bumper. I kinda wanted a prerunner look. I actually bought both buggies off Ian. The blue one is going for scrap. I don't doubt that it was strong enough, but I am a bit too much of a perfectionist, and want one with fitment, welds, etc more pleasing to the eye. Right now I have a 3 rib bus trans and a 1600DP that I will rebuild to be a 1641. The UPS man has been loving me lately, so hopefully I can get some good updated pics after the weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to the swap meet at Jim's Custom VW to try and find some stuff I need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:22 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Hey, Nice buggy,

I think I have drank some beers with the feller in the corner of the first pic!!! Don't remember his name though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:53 pm 

Haha, that is one creepy manican, but great for scaring the sh*% out of people!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:07 pm 
WB Contributor

What do you want for the blue one? Is it still a roller?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

haha steve get them 'billys a buggy hahahha.... anyways badass man thats some aweeeeeesome tube fitment good luck keep us posted ask questions!!!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:58 pm 

How is ths build coming?

Woody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:26 am 

So after not getting to work on the buggy for a few months... buying a house will do that, I am looking forward to some time off at christmas to get some work done. I came across an esslinger 2.3L ford engine adapter kit, and purchased an old ford ranger as a donor. My question is this... Is my 3 Rib going to hold up to the 2.3, or should I begin looking for a 5 or 6 rib? Also, as far a motor mounts go, reinforce tranny mounts, or add mounts to bolt directly to the motor? I know this swap has been done, but does anybody have any info or pics? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:04 am 

Well, it has been quite a while since an update. I got rid of the 3 rib, got a 6 rib, and a 2.3T motor from a Turbo Coupe. I bought disc brakes for front and rear, new tires, and will soon be ordering my 2x3 rear arms.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:22 am 

Very nice.. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:46 pm 

Looks like the engine made it out of the t-bird. Once you get it running do some research on turboford.org its pretty easy to switch to MAF and then you can lose the VAM. Those VAM's can be a pain to fit in the frame. Looks good and it looks like you are going to be done before me. I'm still waiting on my megasquirt so I can wire this thing. Keep the updates and pics coming. It was nice meeting you guys, feel free to stop in if your visiting family again. (Did you end up getting Indian food that night you were here or did you all eat at the Greene?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:52 pm 

fortydegnorth wrote:
Looks like the engine made it out of the t-bird. Once you get it running do some research on turboford.org its pretty easy to switch to MAF and then you can lose the VAM. Those VAM's can be a pain to fit in the frame. Looks good and it looks like you are going to be done before me. I'm still waiting on my megasquirt so I can wire this thing. Keep the updates and pics coming. It was nice meeting you guys, feel free to stop in if your visiting family again. (Did you end up getting Indian food that night you were here or did you all eat at the Greene?)

The car tore down pretty quick, but I had to cut and extend the back of my frame to get the engine to fit. I was looking at getting rid of the vam because that thing is huge, but it seems like guys are having trouble getting it to work with the stock ecu. Do you have any suggestions? Also, you need to get pics of your build coming still. We actually ended up eating at some BBQ place that night.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:21 pm 

Personally I would get it up and running as is with the VAM first to make sure all the wiring is right. I never did the conversion because I'm going with megasquirt and that loses the vam and distributor and all that crap. Turbo Fords have some issues with dizzy gears especially if you run a high volume oil pump. I know the maf conversion has been done many, many times so it works you just need to find the right help. Turboford.org has everything you need it just takes time to search it all. I should have pics soon, the body is painted but the gun screwed up with the clear so it needs work. I'm waiting for the megasquirt and then the wiring starts and puts me in the home stretch. Landscaping is crazy right now and my main employee just quit 2 days ago so I'm basically screwed for a week or two.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:57 pm 

Great build. What brand and capacity winch do you have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:02 pm 

It is a 3000 lb Gorilla winch. I know it might be too light duty, but only time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:16 am 

Build is finally coming along. Almost done with fab. Here are some pics of my 2x3 rear arms that I made. I built a jig and made them using 2.5x5x.188 wall rectangular tubing. The round tubing is 1"x.120 wall DOM. I still need to add some reinforcement, my lower shock mounts, and my brake caliper mounts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:23 pm 
BOTM Winner

The build is coming along nicely. I am curious on what you plan to do to strenghten the rear arms. Butt welding the tubes to the flat plate like that is not very strong. The plate will distort in a high Impact situation. You probably allready new that however some Ideals would be 1" x 1 1/2" corner gussets on the inside and outside of the boxed area were the tubes join. Use 5/16" bar stock for your shock mounts (double shear) and carry it over top the tubes and weld it in.

Ringer wrote:
Build is finally coming along. Almost done with fab. Here are some pics of my 2x3 rear arms that I made. I built a jig and made them using 2.5x5x.188 wall rectangular tubing. The round tubing is 1"x.120 wall DOM. I still need to add some reinforcement, my lower shock mounts, and my brake caliper mounts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:07 am 

Rear arms are finished, and the buggy is in primer. The pictures are in the homemade paint booth I made in my garage. Two furnace filters on one side and two on the opposite side with fans sucking the air out. I just wet the floor and it works pretty good. I can't wait to start putting this thing together!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:03 am 

More updates... I got the frame painted and assembled into rolling chassis. I ended up finding a new +6" warrior front beam with 8" towers, springs, new Tweeds 2 1/4x1 arms for $350 shipped! I also have been doing my own powdercoating with the HotCoat kit from eastwood.com. It works awesome. A little bit of a pain doing one wheel at a time, but huge money saver! I am getting so anxious with this thing. I have been building it for a year and have never even ridden in a buggy!!! Anyway, here are some pics, hoping to have everything finished for spring. Wiring will take a while. I am doing my own harness from scratch with all deutsch connectors.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:56 am 
Global moderator

Beautiful,,,attention to detail is nice,,be careful with the front beam,,consider running a brace from the end back to the frame on the lower beam tube,,they are vulnerable to being bent. keep up the good work 8)

Board index » General » Buggy Builds