It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:05 pm 
looking good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:06 pm 
Hill Climber

Man you are moving fast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:29 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks for all the good words guys I have been putting a lot of work into this.

Tonight I got the cutters mounted and finished and got my gas tank installed. Just waiting on parts now so Friday will be the next work day. Heres some pics thanks for lookin.

This is the cutter mount I came up with. I had the local steel place press brake me a 6x6x6 Tunnel then I welded 1.5 angle to the top and drilled the holes for the cutters. Only welded a few times I am getting better. I am just welding non-structal stuff on my buggy, light brakets, etc everything else will be welded later.

Side view of them mounted in the buggy.

Top view of them mounted in the buggy. Mounted worked perfectly.

Gas tank mounted in. I like how low I can mount the tank in the frame. So much room in the cobra frames. The tube going across will be a shelf and toolbox mounted there.

Sorry this one is a little blurry but it shows the rear view of the tank mount.

Thanks for looking

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:17 am 
WB Contributor

Day 13. Got huge amount done today. Got the rack and pinion brackets built and the rack is installed, got my X brace put in, all the tabs are in for my floor, and floor is cut out. Tomorrow I am going to finish the steering so it can be turned finally woohoo, finish all the topside welding, put my floor in, get my sidebars on my roof installed, and get the roof on it.

I got the underside completely welded now including all my tabs. Welding is almost done.

This is my rack and pinion mounts. It is double sheer and supports the rack across and up and down. I fabbed the brackets out of 1/4 steel plate then just figured the rest out. The rack is tilted forward at around a 15 degree angle. This took most of the time to get it where I wanted it but I think it turned out very nice. I still gotta get in there with the grinder on the mounts when I take the front beam back off.

Just another shot of the rack in the car. I had to cut and sleeve the tierods which will be finished tomorrow.

This is the X brace installed. The bottom tubes sit around 5 inches in front of the torsion then connect to the first hoop in back. Turned out very nice also.

Last but not least the bling bling haha. Floor all cut out. Its .125 Aluminum Diamond Plate. We cut it with a carbide tipped circular saw. It is beautiful.....for a little bit ;)

Thats it for today 2:30am time for bed and back to the grind tomorrow morning, literally hah

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:33 am 
Hill Climber

Looks like you need a set of high quality trailing arms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:06 am 

Hey Dean do you have any" back braces"? I need 1! Damn Kyles heavy!LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:24 am 
Site Admin

mudd mutt wrote:
Hey Dean do you have any" back braces"? I need 1! Damn Kyles heavy!LOL

It took 4 people to lift mine. Bare frame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:06 am 
WB Contributor

hey dvs1 i think he is talking about carrying the workload haha. the frame is quite light :)

Well I got a bunch done this weekend. Still a lot to do though. Everything is fully welded now. Floor is in and steering is done. My frontend from Tim just arrived this morning and my arms from Dean should be getting here today also. I went to Jegs yesterday and picked me up some very nice Kirkey aluminum racing seats. Steering is completed and quick release wheel is done. Tonight I am going to get the arms on, frontend on, and install my new seats. Hopefully Monday it will be going to sandblasting.

Here is my steering shaft setup. Double u-jointed shaft gets the steering bar out of my feet. Steers very smooth.

Front bearing mount and quick release wheel installed.

Tierods shorted up.

Shot of the cutters remounted.

Side shot of the rail. We welded the nuts to the floor tabs also.

Making progress! I am going down and bust my ass to make it a roller tonight. Gotta get it all setup for the 6 rib also.

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:51 pm 
WB Contributor

Welp got my frontend today no thanks to fedex losing it haha. I didn't get my arms so hopefully they will be here tomorrow along with my bearings and bushings etc. I did still go down and got my seats mounted in and started to get the 6 rib fabbed up. Also got the frontend all bolted on. I now have to lower my cutter brake mount because my new seats sit so much lower which is what I wanted because I have a lot more head room now. I was going to have to wear a helmet before hah. Anyways heres some pics.

Seats mounted in.

Shot from behind of the seats. I am going to add a seat support tube going across that will double for 5 point harness mount. 6 rib what? :)

Frontend put on. Front shock tower was bent when I got it had to beat it out with a sledge. Also got the spindles drilled out for the saturn tierods.

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:58 pm 

Looks good Kyle it wont be long now

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:21 am 
WB Contributor

Well got some more done. Should be finishing up most everything this weekend. Hopefully get some paint on her before Wellsville, if not look for the buggy in 80% primer hah. I got the oil cooler and remote filter mounted tonight. Just trying to get all the little stuff out of the way now.

Look at this set of high quality trailing arms. haha nice 2x3's thanks Dean

Shot of arms installed. I got the calipers and all on now just not in the picture. I did have to grind on my caliper brackets to fit the new arms. I mounted the calipers on the top of the arm.

6 Rib mocked up. Spaced back 1.5 inches.

Front of the 6 rib mount. This is also a bracket built to space back 1.5 inches.

Roof bracing tacked in. All welding will be done Sunday.

Just a front shot. Got the lights mounted etc. Like I said trying to do all the little stuff now.

Calipers installed and all the oil goodies.

Thats all for now. MUCH more to come this weekend ;)

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:27 am 

Looks good! Are those seats comfortable?Look like they might be a little hard on the ass,but I`m a pussy and run suspension seats.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:52 am 
WB Contributor

dunebuggy79 wrote:
Looks good! Are those seats comfortable?Look like they might be a little hard on the ass,but I`m a pussy and run suspension seats.

Hahaha everyone is saying that. I think they are very comfortable. I like the contour of the seat and they have thick foam. But I guess we'll see anything is better than the seats I had that dug into my spine hah.

Well well its getting very damn close. About the only fabrication left is spindle braces, maybe a seat brace in back, battery mount, and tree bars. I got the shocks on and everything is fully welded. I got to order some limit straps this week also. I am tired not much to type haha so maybe I'll get some better pictures and whatnot but for now its 24/7 buggy building! I want to start painting this week so I can try and ride this coming Sunday for a test-n-tune. We'll see.

This is probably I think one of the coolest things on my rail haha and its just a brake line. Braided Steel, Teflon coated, and DOT approved lines custom made. We have a guy here in town that makes em he put the 90's on there for me and everything. They run from the cutter to the caliper no hard lines no adapters.

Just a shot of the lines going to the calipers. Still got to secure them to the arms still.

Shot from the back. You can see the shocks mounted up. Doesn't look it but most work now is just putting stuff on.

PS...Notice all the metal is on mudd mutt's Weekend Warrior trailer/camper hah

Just a front shot.

Had to post this one it fells good to roll this thing around finally.

Not much tonight but like I said I am dead f'n tired.

WELLSVILLE OR BUST!

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:07 am 
WB Contributor

Its gettin close boys :)

tree bars go on tomorrow and front spindle gussets and that should be all the fab work done. got the rear skid plate done and the transmission horn braces in. made the rear skid plate from diamond plate also. also got my motor all fixed up had to replace the push rod tubes and 1 push rod where the old horns bent clear up into my motor. pictures later.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Man, I wish I had motivation like you! By the time your done you'll be too tired to ride. Yeah right!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:01 am 
WB Contributor

Well boys and girls the fabrication work is completed. I have a few things to do like a couple light tabs and battery mount but thats it. 25 days of hard ass busting work. It is pretty much a downhill slope from here. I am going to get it ready for paint and shoot it this weekend then test and tune next weekend then partytime! Think I am going to go with that ARC 4000 kit for all my wiring it should make it a nice clean install. So much hard work and effort has been put into it that it looks awesome sitting on the trailer in my driveway haha. I did about 85% of the work myself the rest have been friends helping out thanks Greg (mudd mutt), Brian, Dave, Roy, Rick, Scott, and Lance, o and the wife I haven't seen for 25 days :P

More to come pictures and such just tired its bedtime.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:15 am 
WB Contributor

Here is just some more random pictures none of it completed yet I didn't take them yet.

Here is just the passenger foot rest bar. I was proud of my fab work on this piece so I had to get some pictures of it. I have never really done this kind of stuff before so it was nice to make something look really good.

After spacing my transmission and motor back 1.5 inches I discovered I could no longer get my motor in and out with the exhaust on. So I chopped the rear bar and made it bolt-on.

Shot of the bottom shock mounts. Took some time to fab the brackets and spacers and get everything lined up.

I built a new shifter linkage, which also turned out very nice. It even shifts smooth and goes into all gears on the first shot.

Finally here is a picture of the spindle bracing kit I installed.

Thanks for looking guys.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:57 pm 
WB Contributor

Hey guys here is the completed pictures. I got it stripped down to bare frame tonight and started to strip it for this weekends paint. Moving along nicely.

Here she is. I think it turned out beautiful.

Just a completed rear shot.

Tree bars installed.

Thanks guys like I said tons of work has been poured into this build. Even though I didn't get many replies to this thread I hope you guys like the work.

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:08 am 

Heck yeah dude, I always love to look at build pics. Looks great, can't wait to post some updated pics of my build.
You just HAD to make it look like it was quick and easy though, didn't you! :evil:

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:46 am 

Looks Great man......I knew you wouldn't stop until you got it done. Cant wait to ride with you guys again.

Donnie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:28 am 
Global moderator

Excellent,,, you are inspiring the rest of us to get with the program,, hope to ride with you as well 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:40 am 
looking good.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:34 am 
WB Contributor

RailHomie wrote:
You just HAD to make it look like it was quick and easy though, didn't you! :evil:

HAHAHA trust me there was nothing easy or quick about it lol. Worked on it about 6 hours everyday after work during the week and on the weekends it was 12 hour days.

Thanks for the good words guys I am sure I will see each one of you this summer we will be making road trips :)

Well heres to the start of a LONG weekend. I am working today then as soon as I get off I am headed to KY to pick up my 6 rib with superdiff and maybe some firestones. Then arrive back at the garage around 1am and wirewheel and primer all night long then around 9am in the morning black paint will start flying. Sounds like a great time.....NOT.

Heres the rest of the pics I had.

Just got these in from Tim.

Side shot.

Rear side.

Rear skid plate and head covers. O and yes of course it rained on the way to the garage so all my new welds could get rusty why wouldn't it!

Other side.

Next pictures you see will be painted frame :)

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:27 pm 
Hill Climber

I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:07 pm 

looks real good kyle, -- i cant wait to see it in person at wellsville

I love my country, But i fear my government

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds