It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kyle's New Cobra Build
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:59 pm 
WB Contributor

Ok figured i would at least document this stupid feat of trying to build this buggy in 6 weeks. I just got home Sunday night from picking up the frame in VA from Roy. Monday I took it up to mudd mutt's house and stripped a car torsion and got it ready to be put in. He is going to be doing that sometime this week. Last night I started stripping the other bug down and getting ready to scrap yard that frame. I got Dean making me a set of 2x3's, I got my Weld Oval 5 beadlock wheels. I am going to try and get the H-Beam rods in and get my motor balanced and put on my dual carb setup. Other than that i am just transfering parts.

Heres one reason for a new frame. The entire right side is bent up about 3 inches. The moron I bought it from could weld about as good as a 4 year old even with a MIG so all the welds are shit. The frame is just crap I can't wait to scrap it. The guy I got it from said it was his baby and he wanted to see pictures of what all I did to it. I would love to send that ahole a picture of it in the crusher.

This is all I got stripped down last night everything but 1 seat pedals and torsion bars.

And of course this is what I am starting with. As soon as mudd mutt gets the torsion in it will start going together. I am excited pissed and worried if I am going to get it done all in one shot haha.

More to come tomorrow.

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:55 pm 
BOTM Winner

Good luck on the build. Like you say 6 weeks to do it. Thats a tall order unless you dont work for a living or have a lot of guys pitchuing in to help.
As far as the old frame you could allways hang it from a tree and build a fire under it and send a Pic to the PO and call it a fire sale :lol:

Last edited by Odyknuck on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Cobra Build
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:41 pm 

Don't get discouraged Kyle, you and and your buddys will get it done I am sure of it. It will be worth it in the end. I hope it works OK and cant wait to ride with you guys again. If I lived closer I would give you a hand.

Donnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:35 pm 
Put the old frame on here for sale. List it how it is and sell it cheep ($50.00 to what ever) that would be better than nothing. One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:03 pm 

When I built my new frame I used pieces off the old one for bracing and misc. stuff, tubing isn`t cheap nowadays.You could possibly reuse the tree bars and make them work on the new one?

aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 pm 

dunebuggy79 wrote:
When I built my new frame I used pieces off the old one for bracing and misc. stuff, tubing isn`t cheap nowadays.You could possibly reuse the tree bars and make them work on the new one?

aaron

Thats not a bad idea. I used alot of the pieces I cut off on the baja frame. Its saved me a ton of money. Not to mention all the bends that can be reused if you plan things right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:30 pm 
WB Contributor

bruce 1 wrote:
Put the old frame on here for sale. List it how it is and sell it cheep ($50.00 to what ever) that would be better than nothing. One mans junk is another mans treasure.

i wouldn't sell it to anyone it is unsafe thats why I am getting rid of it. and scrap is 215.00 a ton around here so prolly 100.00 is cool with me haha

i have plenty of help and no kids so i can work on it everynight. i figure 3 weeks til completion myself but we will see haha.

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:00 pm 
WB Contributor

Got everything stripped out of the old frame. Torched the torsion out just in case we need something later and i torched the front end off to save the tabs. Ready for junk.

One last wheelie. I put her to rest the right way.

Crapload of parts to go on new frame.

Torched out the bus torsion that was in the new frame. Also got rid of that crap floor and seat brackets that where in it. Got the car torsion all lined up today and it will be welded in tomorrow. Thanks mudd mutt! I think he is plasma cutting something here had to give him his fame :)

This is going in tomorrow in the car torsion. No way I was not putting an adjuster in. So simple to adjust ride height after that.

Thats all for today. The torsion will all be welded in along with the adjuster tomorrow. I will begin wire wheeling most of the frame. Saving some money stripping it myself. Going to try and get the X bracing put in and the front end bracing put Friday. Progress so far is good this is only day 3!

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:30 am 

I had someone add one of those same adjusters in my buggy after the center section twisted out. I'd recommend welding an extra piece of at least 1/2" square bar across the bottom. Mine has warped from riding and now the bottom is bowed and this pulled the sides in and makes it difficult to adjust now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:48 am 
BOTM Winner

Im curious to what keeps the dirt and water from getting into the torsion housing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:03 pm 
WB Contributor

Well day 6 and we got a lot done. We got the adjuster all put in and torsion bracing done. Also got the "race braces" put in the front. Today I got my seat brackets made and got the frame stripped down pretty down. Tomorrow will be primer and lots of little stuff, pedals, shifter, cutters, and other stuff like that.

Heres a shot of the torsion bracing we put in this is before you put the adjuster in.

bevans37095 wrote:
I had someone add one of those same adjusters in my buggy after the center section twisted out. I'd recommend welding an extra piece of at least 1/2" square bar across the bottom. Mine has warped from riding and now the bottom is bowed and this pulled the sides in and makes it difficult to adjust now.

This is the torsion adjuster all welded in. Thanks bevans we were on it. Notice the piece of round solid pipe in front of it. This will keep it from warping. Adjusters are awesome one bolt torsion adjustment can't beat it!

This is the "race braces" all tacked up (welded after pictures haha). I liked it a little taller in the front so thats how I did it hah.

Thanks to everyone that has been helping me I would be lost without mudd mutt in this build. I didn't get any pictures of the seat brackets or stripped down yet those will come tomorrow. I woke up this morning with welding flashed eyes haha got 2 hours sleep so tomorrow is a new day.

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:08 am 

Looking good. What did you strip the paint with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:18 pm 
WB Contributor

m.ralston wrote:
Looking good. What did you strip the paint with?

grinder, wire wheel, elbow grease. I wanted to save money so I did it all myself.

Well day 7 is here and I got a lot done. I got the frame 80% in primer. I got both seats mounted, and they are even in the same spot and level with each other hah imagine that mudd mutt finally taught me to measure haha. I got my shifter box in and the rod extended. I got the tranny and motor mounted in. I added a rear brace above the motor. Also got my pedal setup in and all the pedals mounted. Everything is just tacked for now when it goes back to mudd mutts it will be welded. I am mounting everything off the frame so nothing will be mounted to the floor and it can be dropped with a few bolts. I ordered a Saturn rack and pinion picked off ebay for 25.00 I am going to use it for power steering. As soon as my new frontend from Mofoco and my Deans Built arms get here we will be rolling chassis. I also laid out my wire wiring harness so all I have to do now is wire tie it and plug it in.

Seats all mounted in. I am thinking about painting it orange like on the bumper. Rim is there for balance heh.

Got my torsion bars put in. Because I am running dual spring plates now I have to get longer bolts for my end caps.

Man its gonna look good. Can't wait to get my arms so I can put the tires on for real.

Rear brace and motor all in. Got to do some more wire wheelin before I can primer this section.

Pedal assembly all bolted in. Had just enough room for everything. I am kinda tall so I had to move them forward as much as I could. They are mounted on steel diamond plate so no flex there.

Thats all for the weekend. I will probably wait till parts come Tuesday to head back down and work on it. Thanks for lookin.

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:31 pm 
WB Videographer

looks good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:36 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

all that in 1 weekend wow. looking good

Jesus loves me, but everyone else thinks im an asshole.

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!

Post subject: cobrabuild
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 pm 

looks realy good wish i found mine that far together i bought my cobra frame in pretty much in a box had to weld everything together

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

badass kyle keep up the good work,,,, lookin forward to ridin with u when ur done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:27 am 

looks good -- youll be riding in no time

I love my country, But i fear my government

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:36 pm 
WB Contributor

purplerail wrote:
all that in 1 weekend wow. looking good

haha about 38 hours in 3 days.

odyknuck wrote:
Im curious to what keeps the dirt and water from getting into the torsion housing.

nothing really. just grease around the inside. the open spots are also on top of the floor.

virgilblack wrote:
looks realy good wish i found mine that far together i bought my cobra frame in pretty much in a box had to weld everything together

thanks to roy for the nice ebay buy i just got lucky. i have around 650.00 in the frame after fuel to get it and paying roy for it. 17 hour drive wasn't friendly on the wallet haha think I had 260.00 in diesel.

thanks jeff and harleyhunter05 its going smooth so far. once i get the front end and arms hell it will be downhill roll then. I am going to go pick up a 4x8 sheet of aluminum today for my floor...damn that stuff is $$ hah

kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:36 am 
WB Contributor

Well I got some parts today woohoo. Got the Saturn rack and pinion I stole off ebay. This setup works very well actually my buddy has been running power steering with the Saturn rack for a while and has had 0 issues so I am taking that same route. The rack is from a 93-95 Saturn S Type.

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:48 am 

i am using the same rack works really well for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 pm 
WB Contributor

redrail1915 wrote:
i am using the same rack works really well for me

yes my buddys rail came from down KY. I just copied the setup from it.

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:53 pm 
BOTM Winner

Keep up this pace and you might just make Wellsville :!:

Buy the best and cry once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:32 pm 
WB Contributor

Roy wrote:
Keep up this pace and you might just make Wellsville :!:

Thanks Roy I have full intentions of riding the weekend before Wellsville to get the bugs worked out. Then thrashing on it at Wellsville :)

Just got off the phone with Tim at Southern Buggies and my new kingpin front end will be here Friday. Buying a new one was just so much easier than putting one together just bolt in and done. Thanks Tim for a killer deal you are one of the best.

Kyle

"Lets go get stupid"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:40 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Awesome work!!

Board index » General » Buggy Builds