It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:29 pm 

I picked up this four seat buggy last year and ran the dying engine to its grave. Now I've decided to do the full rebuild. It already came with alot of good parts but most I'm gonna sell.
The goods are suspension seats,15x14 aluminum wheels, Neil peddle set. Jamar upright dual handle steer brake. Aluminum king pin beam. The bads are a bad motor, swing axle trans., and spindle front rims.
What I've decided so far is six wider 10in. shock tower beam and I've already accomplished that. Also 3x3 rear arms, air bags,a mid shift trans, and a 2.4 eco tech. Another hope behind the back seats, x bracing in the hoops that are behind the front and rear seats, and in the roof. More bracing in the front, Saturn p/s. Front brakes. 2000 something mustang rear calipers w/ ebrake. And a air system for the air bags. And as soon as I get my laptop back I will be posting alot of picks of what I've done so far and as it goes. And I'm sure I will be messing up and if you see let me know, I'm very open to opinions from y'all cause I've been reading post non stop since October.

Attachments:
1416823556289.jpg
1416823556289.jpg [ 75.19 KiB | Viewed 7523 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:42 pm 

Front beam.

Attachments:
front beam.jpg
front beam.jpg [ 166.11 KiB | Viewed 7520 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:36 pm 

I know that I've been MIA for a while but life got busy again between work and my daughter broke her ankle in 3 places but I would like to report that progress on the buggy will be picking up again soon due to my successful hunting trip to Austin vee dub today. I managed to find a side shift Trans so 5hats one less major component to buy. And if any one else is looking I found 2 more out there and they will ship. I got mine for 375.00 with tax.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:40 pm 

Well I've got my transmission so now I have some questions about the install. I've seen in some of the threads that if you run 3x3 trailing arms the Trans needs to be set back further. If this is the case how far back does it need to go. Another is with this Trans does it need to be centered up on the torsion housing or offset to one side or the other. And last question is what is the best angle to set it at. Any input would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
2015-04-13 20.34.20.png
2015-04-13 20.34.20.png [ 764.75 KiB | Viewed 7272 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:51 pm 

I forgot that I got a pretty good deal on these unused race trim seats about a month ago too. The guy I got them from bought them for a jeep and decided to go another route. So I picked up all 4 for 200 bucks. I thought that was a good deal until I got the home and found that they are about 11/2" to wide for the back. But at least they'll fit the front.

Attachments:
2015-04-13 20.50.44.jpg
2015-04-13 20.50.44.jpg [ 481.26 KiB | Viewed 7271 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:10 am 
BOTM Winner

no need to move the trans back. people do that for weight bias more than anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 pm 

Cool. Good to know and thanks for the help racebug

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:12 pm 

I've finally got my transmission home after a long 3 week wait and 6 hour round trip drive today. So I haven't opened it up yet but ran it through all the gears by hand today and all the gears seem smooth and the shifting is good and crisp so everything should be good inside. By looking at the numbers on the case it's a 4.86 ring gears but can't tell if it's a 2 or 4 spider diff. The numbers I found is abd2208 5.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:11 am 
WB Contributor

ABD is 2 spyder and ACW is four. Remove the nose cone aswell and inspect bearings and shifter rods and balls. Acw's came earlier than '85 IF the dealer sold it with a "Towing Package".

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:53 am 

Yes sir I do plan on a full tear down I've just got to find the tools for it first. I'm pretty sure that the bearings are going to be good unless rusted from as long as it sat. The van that it came from only showed 48000mi. On the the odometer and the numbers weren't offset indicating a rolled odometer. I'm going to check with my snap on dealer about the pinion nut socket and socket for the different this week unless yall can recommend a better place to get the tools. By better I mean cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:05 am 

So its been awhile since I posted anything but other than buying a transaxle I haven't cause Ive been busy working, and trying to get my shop back in order because it was worse than a war zone. Well I've got my shop back in order and had the weekend off so ingot some work done not alot but some so I thought id share. Ive got the frame down to almost bare bones and started working on installing the trans. But after getting the 4 ears cut off the bottom and getting it set in place I've discovered that I was gonna need to trim the pinch welds on the frame horns and clearance the tops to clear the CVs and drive flanges and the stock mount on the torsion keeps the trans about inch further back I decided to just order a set of tubular frame horns and be done with it. So ill build a new front mount while I've got the frame horns off and go from there and I wont have to hack up the horns to clear the trans and weld in the trailing arm pivots to do the swing axle to IRS conversion. So I ordered a bunch of parts and the jigs to weld the pivots on. On a positive note while cutting the ears off the trans some of the gear oil leaked out of the vent and I've never seen oil that clean come out of a transmission. Especially one from a bone yard. So while I'm waiting on the parts to get here I'm going to pull the bell housing and check the diff out and inspect the ring and pinion.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds