It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 pm 

Im picking a 90 subaru legacy automatic this week. Going to do a mid engine buggy. (dont knock im just trying to be creative). Ive got lots of ideas of what id like but not sure if it will run the ville or not. I have a stock vw railbuggy right now but i dont want to throw a bunch of money at it. I like designing more than mechanics, and im cheap. So i could put the subie in the buggy now or start from scratch. Im thinking long rear arm custom, not torsion or any vw setup. Planning to keep as much subaru parts as possible. A arms in the front 2 seater. So what im looking for is some videos of a mid engine or aarm buggy climbing in the dirt not the sand (cant find anything).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:43 pm 

will this work. not as pretty but is it too tall. i know its a crawler but i like the forward cab and height. or a stretched rzr style or sand buggy.

Attachments:
Mid-Engine-Shootout-47.jpg
Mid-Engine-Shootout-47.jpg [ 46.4 KiB | Viewed 8518 times ]
2013-11-15-14.45.19-300x225.jpg
2013-11-15-14.45.19-300x225.jpg [ 33.32 KiB | Viewed 8518 times ]
CIMG0759.JPG
CIMG0759.JPG [ 224.8 KiB | Viewed 8518 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:35 pm 

Im really curious of how the mid engine handles. Does anyone have any suspension expertise. Im thinking the rear trail arms should mount as far forward as possible. Not for travel but better weight distribution and traction. Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 pm 

http://youtu.be/eurWswZIP7Y

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:57 pm 

Psycho Alpha i know what your thinking, this guy is all over the place. Which is why I built my first buggy 3 times before it was done. I HAVE A.D.D. But I will get to the sami drive 4x4 rzr soon enough. That mid engine subaru was pretty long. Well longer than I figured but thats ok It will be what it is. That thing climbed well. Hard to see how it was built. And the ls buggy was nasty. What do you think of the mid engine?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:11 am 
BOTM Winner

I think it is a good idea, but you will have trouble fitting it all into a usable sized package (wheelbase), and the weight distribution will be off what you want for a woods buggy. My race buggy is just a little more balanced (front to rear) than an average woodsbuggy and wont climb worth a shit. I do like the idea and not using a bus trans in theory is great!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:15 am 

I know how that goes, it was 8 years from idea to driving my buggy! Mid engine makes harder to get power to the ground but it should work as long as you get bias right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:44 am 

I would like to turn mine around but I think a $8000 mendeola trans is the only way,trying to keep the weight bias close for climbing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:42 pm 

you would think that the weight in front of the wheels would be better than behind. Maybe its weight pulling down and the tires digging in better because of that. well im gonna try it anyways. Maybe it will be great and maybe it will just be a buggy. My thinking is that the trans will hold the power considering it holds it from stock and that car weight 3000 pounds. I wish I had room to fit chaindrive in there too so I could take the load from the cv. But for chaindrive just run a fwd car engine and have the cvs mounted towards the front of trail arms and chains back. no special trans or parts minus the chains and adapters. Next time, it was gonna be this project but i got a good deal on a suuuubaru.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:33 pm 

Looking forward to seeing it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:44 pm 

damn 8 years, my buddies give me a hard time cause it took 2 for the first one. Lucky your not in our crew.Yeah but your shit is sweet. I really dig that buggy. Hopefully ill catch up with you soon and you can show me what she does.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:45 pm 

90 subaru legacy automatic 2.2 in the garage time to do some testing on motor and tranny and tear it apart.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:28 pm 

My single seater has been 5+ years already thanks to life getting in the way. I still need another 2 years of spare time to get it finished but at least I'm back into the game & buying the last few pieces it needs.

For climbing the ideal balance seems to be around 30% front & 70% rear & I've seen expensive nose heavy buggies struggle with easy climbs that a beat up rail with a 3-rib & a smoking 1641 could walk right up because it bit hard & hooked. I built a 78" rail from junk years ago that had weight racks so I could move 40-70 pounds around until I got a good bite without nearly going over backwards. That rail was 34%-66% on the scales but that short wheelbase needed more nose weight to be stable on long climbs.

My single seat will hit the scales once the engine is in & I'll put 60 pound dumbbell weights in the right spots to simulate a full gas tank & oil. I'll place the battery where weight's needed & run either steel or aluminum front wheels to set it up as close to 30% as I can get.

You probably have 120-ish pounds of weight you can shift to the rear & aluminum front wheels may get you close enough to ideal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:11 pm 

Thats good technical advice. I wish it was easier to find more of it. Even just rambling could have some good info or ideas. I ramble all the time maybe some of it is good ideas. But in my defense Im an idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:31 pm 

Abort, Abort. 90 subaru car for sale 700 car runs but i think it needs timing belt. Havent touched the car yet. The reason im aborting is because i bought a brand new wildcat yesterday. (sellout)

Board index » General » Buggy Builds