It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ecotec swap for 2276
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 am 

It will be leak free. I,m a GM tech and it is VERY rare to see an Ecotec with a leak. This past Memorial day weekend I sunk my car and it was under water for aprox 15 mins. When I got home and drained oil and pulled the plugs it didn't have one drop of water in it!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:23 am 

Welcome to the forum! The best way to keep an Ecotec leak free is vent the crankcase as GM intended, hosed right to the air inlet to maintain negative pressure. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:04 pm 

Thanks for the tip! So your saying rather than vent it with a small breather filter I should plumb it back into the intake?
Bubbalowe wrote:
Welcome to the forum! The best way to keep an Ecotec leak free is vent the crankcase as GM intended, hosed right to the air inlet to maintain negative pressure. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:59 pm 

We put the dbw pedal in a dry box with my fuses and relays and then ran the cable to it, because we are constantly wet an muddy. You could probably mount yours in the normal position if you dont mind the different throw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 pm 

helmetguy wrote:
We put the dbw pedal in a dry box with my fuses and relays and then ran the cable to it, because we are constantly wet an muddy. You could probably mount yours in the normal position if you dont mind the different throw.

Have you seen the video of the pedal working underwater? I was kinda more concerned about fabing something up that doesnt lok to odd while I have no firewall.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:51 pm 

Douglas Bailey wrote:
Thanks for the tip! So your saying rather than vent it with a small breather filter I should plumb it back into the intake?
Bubbalowe wrote:

Correct. Ecotecs have a baffle under the cam cover and do not use a pcv valve. Those cheesy little gauze breather elements you see are nothing but a sand/ dirt magnet. GM got it right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:35 am 

Bubbalowe wrote:
Douglas Bailey wrote:
Bubbalowe wrote:

Correct. Ecotecs have a baffle under the cam cover and do not use a pcv valve. Those cheesy little gauze breather elements you see are nothing but a sand/ dirt magnet. GM got it right.

Thanks! Ill set it up that way then.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:19 am 

I am installing a LE5 ecotec in my buggy rite now. Where is the port that I need to tie into the air cleaner for block venting? I have a small plastic pipe sticking out rite by the throttle body. Would that be the crank case vent? Also I'm mounting my DBW pedal in the normal spot. Will mud and water mess it up?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:51 am 

Ripinitup wrote:
I am installing a LE5 ecotec in my buggy rite now. Where is the port that I need to tie into the air cleaner for block venting? I have a small plastic pipe sticking out rite by the throttle body. Would that be the crank case vent? Also I'm mounting my DBW pedal in the normal spot. Will mud and water mess it up?

Just b4 I read your post I was wondering exactly where the breather is going to connect. From the research ive done it seems like these pedals can take water, mud , sand. If you have questions about it id call alpha fab and ask them about it. They say your good to go in any condition with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:48 pm 

Breather is the hose that comes off of the valve cover. Would be towards the rear of the motor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:05 pm 

It goes from port on valve cover to anyplace in your AIR FILTER tubing after the filter and before the throttle body. In the case of a turbo car before the turbo. In the pic below you can see its ported to plastic box at inlet of throttle body.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:33 pm 

Thanks for the pic. There is also a small black pipe (plastic) that comes out above the throttle body and a larger one (also plastic) below the throttle body. any idea where they go? And can I just plug them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:41 pm 

Both are vacuum lines, connect the one above the tb back into fuel rail and plug the one to the right of the tb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:51 am 

Awesome! Thanks alot!

tw9294 wrote:
It goes from port on valve cover to anyplace in your AIR FILTER tubing after the filter and before the throttle body. In the case of a turbo car before the turbo. In the pic below you can see its ported to plastic box at inlet of throttle body.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:12 pm 

Does anyone know what size coolant hose ill need for the for both in an out of the motor? Trying to get parts together b4 the motor shows up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:00 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:51 am 

MadMike wrote:
I think riding the sand would be fun as F#@% for about a day. I'm going to take the Funco to Silver Lake sometime and do a ride up there, take a few pictures, take in the sights and then go home. I will write it up on the list of things I'll never want to do again, like getting shot at or getting hit head on.

Go over a holiday weekend. I've been there for a couple 4th of July's & Memorial Day weekends & it was a 3 day blast. If it was the only place I had to ride I'd be out of buggies by now though because the place really isn't that big. If you go I'd suggest borrowing paddles because I used aired down V-treads my 1st time & they suck. I bough a used set of 16" wide paddles & was hauling ass on them. A good set of sealed goggles is #1 on the list of must haves. I tried glasses, cheapo goggles & even duct tape on a set & it was miserable. $50 Scotts finally stopped 97% of the sand from getting in my eyes. #2 on your list should be several bottles of eye wash. You will need them....

A bunch of us were friends with Pat & Nick at LA Products & we used one of their campsites across from the entrance to the dunes so all we had to do was drive across the street & go in. Good times 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:59 pm 

How do you like that radiator? What did you have to give for that?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:37 pm 

Go Big Or Go Home wrote:
How do you like that radiator? What did you have to give for that?

I think it was like $300 with the fans. Fits good in my car. Ill let you know how it works after it running.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:47 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:51 pm 

Running and everything seems to be working well except for the electric fan circuit. Relay supplied be afi was clicking off and on at about 150 degrees. I kinda thought I was pulling to much amperage off the relays (2) so I wired in my own relays (3), same thing. Ferther investigation shows a very low voltage to the afi relay at all times rising slowly till its at the point where it excites the relay only to trip it emidatly due to what I believe is low power therefore the clicking relay. What could be the cause? Coolant temp sensor? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 pm 

Douglas Bailey wrote:
Running and everything seems to be working well except for the electric fan circuit. Relay supplied be afi was clicking off and on at about 150 degrees. I kinda thought I was pulling to much amperage off the relays (2) so I wired in my own relays (3), same thing. Ferther investigation shows a very low voltage to the afi relay at all times rising slowly till its at the point where it excites the relay only to trip it emidatly due to what I believe is low power therefore the clicking relay. What could be the cause? Coolant temp sensor? Thanks in advance.

Try adding a diode:

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:16 pm 

jimp wrote:
Douglas Bailey wrote:

Try adding a diode:

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Whats the difference between a diode and a relay? There is a very small amount of current running through the fan excited wire coming off the ecm at cold start. Seems like what happens is the current gets higher and higher as the temp goes up untill it just barely trips the relay.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:09 pm 

The fans are controlled through the BCM. It is easiest to use a seperate water temp switch at the desired temp setting with the relays.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:42 pm 

The fans are controlled by the ECM like the GMPP.

Let me know if the fan pin fixed the prob! Sorry about that!

-AFI

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds