It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ecotec swap for 2276
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:23 pm 

Well I finally decided it was time to do it. In all honesty my vw motor helped me decide by developing a knock in the lower end of the motor. Ive been lerking in numerous forums for quite sometime gathering knowlage on the swap. I decided to do a build thread here as it seemed like the best fit for me. This is where im at;
-Alpha Fab stage 4 kit on the way
-aluminum jeep Cherokee radiator ordered
-corvette filter/regulator ordered

My plans are to start by mocking up these components and see where I need to go based on frame fit and finish.

Post subject: Re: Ecotec swap for 2276
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:54 am 

Nice looking buggy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:43 am 

Nice lookin buggy welcome to site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:15 pm 

Awesome Doug!

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:44 pm 

Thanks guys!
Cant wait to get started on this project! Any ideas or tips you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Great looking buggy... Where is the picture from... Someday I would like to take my buggy to some dunes and see how well it goes in sand..

Good Luck on the swap and post some pics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:58 pm 

Sharp buggy 8) but it does need tree bars... hang around here long and youll end up snagging that one tree in the middle of the dunes :shock:

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:51 pm 

We only go to one place, Glamis Ca. We live a couple hours from there, we store a motorhome down there and make between 20 and 30 trips down in the winter. Btw no trees in our dunes! Lol

MickeyMouse wrote:
Great looking buggy... Where is the picture from... Someday I would like to take my buggy to some dunes and see how well it goes in sand..

Good Luck on the swap and post some pics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:12 pm 

Out with the old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:14 pm 

Start prepping for the new.Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:26 pm 

This is how we camp in glamis.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:44 pm 
Master fabricator

I think riding the sand would be fun as F#@% for about a day. I'm going to take the Funco to Silver Lake sometime and do a ride up there, take a few pictures, take in the sights and then go home. I will write it up on the list of things I'll never want to do again, like getting shot at or getting hit head on.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:56 pm 

MadMike wrote:
I think riding the sand would be fun as F#@% for about a day. I'm going to take the Funco to Silver Lake sometime and do a ride up there, take a few pictures, take in the sights and then go home. I will write it up on the list of things I'll never want to do again, like getting shot at or getting hit head on.

Lol I would think the same but then I do have to say it would be nice every now and then to go ride and not bring the buggy home with 300 pounds of smelly Wellsville mud on it, nice looking buggy, good luck with the swap you'll love it, there is a lot of people on here putting in ecotechs, I just don't think we could give you advice on much else our terrain and buggys are to different, my two seater probably out weights your four seater by a lot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 pm 

Im only here to get advice on the ecotec swap. Im very well educated on cars for the sand. Advice on the car is not so much my objective here. As I stated b4 I picked this forum because of the number of ecotec swaps and the presence of Alpha Fab in the forums. You all may drive your cars in different terrain but the engine setup will be the same. Never driven my machine in the mud. Its not made for that. Mine is made for the dunes. Its a "dune buggy". Lol. Id not suggest driving a car not set up for sand in the dunes. The sand is about being light and fast. Without the proper setup your sure to run into issues as I may running my car in the mud/woods. Never done it but I can only imagine a headache with my equipment. Thats what the my rzr, not my sand car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:42 pm 

Besides the sand dunes are a little bit fun 200k people say so over 4 days during thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Douglas Bailey wrote:
We only go to one place, Glamis Ca. We live a couple hours from there, we store a motorhome down there and make between 20 and 30 trips down in the winter. Btw no trees in our dunes!

I wanted to formally say welcome to the site and thank you for sharing your buggy with us.

As for the trees, there are a few people on this forum that might benefit from a few less trees. I know I have bent the heck out of a few tree bars and I think it was nitro who caught his rear tire at wells-vile.

Just wondering, how much does your car weigh?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:58 pm 

I just finished my install this past year, titled ecotech install, check it out I had to do it on a limited budget but I can't be happier with it. Just for the record I hate mud lol trail riding and hill climbing is what the goal is just find to much of the smelly shit along the way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:04 pm 

MickeyMouse wrote:
Douglas Bailey wrote:
We only go to one place, Glamis Ca. We live a couple hours from there, we store a motorhome down there and make between 20 and 30 trips down in the winter. Btw no trees in our dunes!

I wanted to formally say welcome to the site and thank you for sharing your buggy with us.

As for the trees, there are a few people on this forum that might benefit from a few less trees. I know I have bent the heck out of a few tree bars and I think it was nitro who caught his rear tire at wells-vile.

Just wondering, how much does your car weigh?

Thank you sir!

LOL! I couldn't imagine it. I'm sure id be one to take out a few trees. Especially given my lack of experience with the terrain. Id need some serious extra protection.
Not exactly sure on the weight as it sits right now. Should be between 11 and 1200 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:05 pm 

Cush53 wrote:
I just finished my install this past year, titled ecotech install, check it out I had to do it on a limited budget but I can't be happier with it. Just for the record I hate mud lol trail riding and hill climbing is what the goal is just find to much of the smelly shit along the way

Excellent! Ill be checking out your thread. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:21 pm 

One of the biggest things im looking to see is what you guys are doing about the fly by wire throttle system. Im thinking ill be using my cable pedal to operate the pedal somewhere in the rear of the car. Any advice would be welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:12 pm 
Master fabricator

Douglas Bailey wrote:
.......... As I stated b4 I picked this forum because of the number of ecotec swaps and the presence of Alpha Fab in the forums. You all may drive your cars in different terrain but the engine setup will be the same...........

That's a fact. I meant no disrespect, you have to ride what you have, as do we. Many moons ago I was offered a ride in an asphalt car, 1/2 mile circle car. I turned it down thinking, real race cars don't have fenders, asphalt is way to "sanitary" and asphalt's for getting there, dirt's for racing. I guess after all these years the dirt thing must have stuck.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:37 pm 

Ill be very honest, the forums that deal mainly in sand cars I have read through aren't as down to earth as you guys seem to be here. I don't have or plan to have a twin turbo v8 with 1300 rwhp. We go to the dunes for family fun not to try to show the next guy my balls and wallet are bigger. The guys around here seem more my speed.

MadMike wrote:
Douglas Bailey wrote:
.......... As I stated b4 I picked this forum because of the number of ecotec swaps and the presence of Alpha Fab in the forums. You all may drive your cars in different terrain but the engine setup will be the same...........

That's a fact. I meant no disrespect, you have to ride what you have, as do we. Many moons ago I was offered a ride in an asphalt car, 1/2 mile circle car. I turned it down thinking, real race cars don't have fenders, asphalt is way to "sanitary" and asphalt's for getting there, dirt's for racing. I guess after all these years the dirt thing must have stuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:45 pm 

Cant wait for my ecotec to show up! Heres a look at the rear of the buggy. Hope it fits well!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:31 am 
Master fabricator

Someone here called me snobby once, everyone had a good time with that one.
We like a picture rich environment here, might be refreshing to see something that doesn't need power washed.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:11 am 

Things stay very clean in the sand for sure. Infact the sand sometimes cleans things up. Tires always look super clean! lol! One of the things im most excited about is having a leak free motor. The sand does find oil leaks for you. It will start collecting in the area of the leak and start quite a mess. The fuel cap on my car leaks when the tank is full and collects sand like crazy there too. I'm going to add a remote fill cap with the ecotec install. mostly because once the radiator is in it will be difficult to fill but im optimistic it'll be leak free.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds