It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indiana title
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:47 pm 

Guy's
I'm building a Stalker rail, I want to make it street legal and I need a title. I would love to find a vw title from Indiana that is already listed as a DUNE BUGGY or a RAIL BUGGY. This would sure speed up the pain of starting from scratch. I do have two VW titles that are titled in Ohio but that is more trouble and pain.

Thanks, Don

Post subject: Re: Indiana title
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 am 

just use one of the vw titles and plate it as one of them. that's how my rail is plated and insured. under a 69 beetle. I'm sure not everyone will say its a good idea but I only drive my rail around town and to work occasionally. just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:00 pm 

Got two 3 buddies that got theirs titled with no problem. Biggest hassle was local DMV didnt know what to classify it as. After a couple trips and a call downstate to the main Indy branch it needs to be classified as a 2 seat convertible. They been ruuning that way for several years now (and several pull overs and one fender bender... more of a door bender...) and no one has cried foul...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:37 pm 

I know a guy that used his vw bug title and told them it was a rail buggy and they just changed it mailed him a new title.

If you go with getting a homemade title or I hear you can do junk one also but not sure. The biggest thing is how does the inspection. Once they put one thing down its missing (wipes) the next time it's just more and more problems. Where are you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 pm 

Thanks for the input....I'm near Brookville

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:06 pm 

Mine is still titles as a beetle. I had one cop really put that to the test too. He was convinced I had committed title fraud and was ready to tow my buggy. 45 minutes later after a call to his station and 2 calls downstate he let me go and told me he was gonna "keep an eye on me". We live in one of the most strict counties in IN. The Sheriff came to inspect both of my friends buggies with builders titles and never even asked to see if any lights or anything worked. We asked him "Don't you want to see that the lights and everything work?" He said "No... If they don't work I will give you a ticket." Wipers are a joke too. Ever seen a T-Bucket with wipers? I always say if you can plate a T-Bucket in IN then you can pretty much plate anything....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 pm 

Just back from the DMV !
They tell me rail buggies can not be titled! She even showed me a picture in book that called out the fact that only " old style tub buggies " can be titled....not rails! Great just great!
Now what?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:50 pm 

find a fiberglass body and make it fit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:02 pm 

Go to a different DMV and try again. I have 7 buddies that all got theirs tagged without being a tub buggy. 2 of us used Beetle titles and the other five did builders titles with police inspection....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:05 pm 

Biggest issue we had was they didnt know what body type to give them on the title until we did their work for them and called down state. Most of my buddies buggies are titled as 2dr convertible for body type...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:57 pm 

How long ago did they do the 2 door convertible thing.? That sound interesting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:09 pm 

X2 on going to a different one. I have titled 3 now 2 told me no way. The 3rd has done all 3 no ?'s at all last 2 they never even looked at them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:34 pm 

Find a DMV that will work with you first... Then if they get confused in how to classify it you say "My buddy went through all this already... It is a 2 seat convertible". I even live in one of the 4 emissions counties in IN. Half my buddies buggies are titled 2008 or newer. Every two years they have to drive to the emissions center and the people go "we can't test this" and give him an exempt stamp... I think you are just dealing with a dick looking at a 20 year old book. Any of our buggies are safer than a tub buggy...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:36 pm 

Or drive around the countryside until you find the most rusty dilapadated POS beetle you can as long as it is IN STATE (no vin inspection) and buy it for the title....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:01 pm 

bluebuggy wrote:
X2 on going to a different one. I have titled 3 now 2 told me no way. The 3rd has done all 3 no ?'s at all last 2 they never even looked at them.

What DMV are you dealing with?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:03 pm 

Sellersburg

Board index » General » Buggy Builds