It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:58 am 

This one i bought off craigslist and sold the vw garbage for some of the money back and installed the engine in the ikea bug for them every thing i got with the frame was new or in excellent shape i did well on getting allot of the money back

My first attempt to build this failed rear engine subaru has a starting price of 2800$
No frame no engine or trans
So im not going to try to reinvent the wheel
So tonight i bought a 93 subaru impreza 2wd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:07 am 

Easy now on the ( vw garbage )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:47 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Rick wrote:
Easy now on the ( vw garbage )

At least it has a high scrap price, lol. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:37 pm 
WB Contributor

Love the newbies they have it all figured out! I can see all of it on Craig's list once he gets board and decides to buy a side by side. :twisted: :evil: :evil: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:30 pm 

Red Barron wrote:
Love the newbies they have it all figured out! I can see all of it on Craig's list once he gets board and decides to buy a side by side. :twisted: :evil: :evil: :mrgreen:

Umm newbie to this sight. buggy owner 17 year all built not bought! yes ive done the vw rote , 2.0 & 2.3 pinto (see screen name) and a 3.3 mid engine the hands down best rail was 2.3 pinto engine bus tranny.. however 3 trany weekend sucked. (Back then trannys where 150-300 in my area now IF u can get a bus trany 400-800$) 3 of those is the cost of my hole buggy
Also have many more builds
than owned built one 455 mid engine 4-5 other pinto buggy that belong to others in the our group hafta say the longest a vw engine stayed in one of the groups buggys was about. 6 trips then deturmen to be diffrent he went 22re
I may get the buggy together and decide i hate mid-engine or the subaru wont have the torque that i like so much (i do have some delta cams and other parts already to help with that)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 pm 
WB Contributor

apintonut wrote:
Red Barron wrote:

Umm newbie to this sight. buggy owner 17 year all built not bought! yes ive done the vw rote , 2.0 & 2.3 pinto (see screen name) and a 3.3 mid engine the hands down best rail was 2.3 pinto engine bus tranny.. however 3 trany weekend sucked. (Back then trannys where 150-300 in my area now IF u can get a bus trany 400-800$) 3 of those is the cost of my hole buggy
Also have many more builds
than owned built one 455 mid engine 4-5 other pinto buggy that belong to others in the our group hafta say the longest a vw engine stayed in one of the groups buggys was about. 6 trips then deturmen to be diffrent he went 22re
I may get the buggy together and decide i hate mid-engine or the subaru wont have the torque that i like so much (i do have some delta cams and other parts already to help with that)

Wow I struck a nerve! Keep in mind brother that most of the guys on this site are VW enthusiast, second the buggy you have photos of is far from custom built. Some of the guys on here have 30 years in this. I have real close to 30. Built a half dozen buggies over the years. I currently run a Honda j32 engine with a bone stock 6 rib. I have run this combo now for almost three years with one failure of the 2nd gear hub stripped it clean. I think my next buggy will have a Subie trans they are not cheep either.

I would suggest Honda J32 or J35 a$$ piles of torque and horsepower .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:23 am 

Didnt hit a nerve ive just putting it out there ive been there done that got the shirt and wore it out to rags....lol...

Um subaru tranny seem to be cheep here got a dual rage 5 speed for 30$ and a 4 speed d/r for free (those wont work for rear engine and are for ea82
So then i bout a hole 4wd wagon drove it home for 250$ but a coworker needed a car so i gave it to him and started looking for 2wd tranny's (harder to come by) so i traded the d/r 5 speed for one the still needed an engine bout another hole car 93 2wd impreza (pic above) drove it on to the trailer for 200$ also have a line on another tranny 2wd for 125$ just thought it was too much money.

Any way yes the frame above is how i got it paid 900 for it sold the engine for 750$ and was paid 250$ to install sold the trany for 350$ and a few other bit and peice so thought i got into it for a good price :)

I think the sand paddle (they were about 2 ft wide) where a bit harder on the bus trannys that and the thing to do back when i was running rails was to dance up the dunes with the tuning bakes and the front tires in the air the hole time
Broke spiders allot. Among other parts

Last edited by apintonut on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:35 am 

This is the latest frame im building ground up im out of tube so im stalled for a few days

http://woodsbuggy.com/forum/buggy-builds/16689

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I ride silver lake dunes and the woods. The woods are much harder on the drive train. Its the slip-grab part that kills them. Sand is hard on the suspension and nostrils. :mrgreen:

Board index » General » Buggy Builds