It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chaindrive
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 am 

Me and my dad just built a buggy with a 2.3 ford engine, im relatively new to buggies and was wondering who would be good to get with for some information on them.

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

Post subject: Re: Chaindrive
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

1st off.. Welcome to the site... Post some pics of your the buggy you built. We always like to see pics.

There are a ton of knowledgeable people on here and they are usually very willing to help.

As for chaindrives, do you have some questions? Are you looking to build one?

The original inventor of chaindrives is Curt. He made some amazing machines that would go anywhere. You can search for some of his videos on YouTube.

There are a handful of other people on here that run chaindrives or know a lot of about them.

I think the more popular option these days are "Baby Chains". Basically an extension off of your trailing arm and spring plate that runs a small chain from your outer CV to a rear sprocket.
Take a look at the video..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:51 pm 

Yeah i would like to build one, im not a pro fabricator or anything so it may be out of my league lol i was just wondering about what all i would need to gather up to build them. I really like that setup in the video, im running the 2300 ford with a stock car trans right now because thats what i had laying around, so it is waayyy too high geared, had a 3 rib but the ring gear is shot in it. I work night shift at the hospital so i will have to put pics up in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:03 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wow... I cannot believe a car trans can handle the 2300. You will need to be very careful on the clutch. At the end of the day, you will need at least a 6 rib trans to handle the 2300.

If you are not an experienced fabricator, I would not recommend trying to build a ChainDrive. There are no off the shelf parts to build a ChainDrive. Everything needs to be fabricated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:40 pm 

Yeah it has plenty of power for me, i saw on here someone had made a set out of 3x4 tubing that didnt look as fab heavy as the previous set. Everyone around here has told me that is what i need for it but i havent ever even seen one in person to get a good idea about where to start. Dad has also acquired an automatic transaxle through his tradings that everyone says would go good with the chain setup. Again thats just what i have been told lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:54 am 
WB Contributor

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b62 ... 90a8f6.jpg here we go..lol the best part about this one is that there is only 1 bearing directly inside the driver sprocket saving 4-5" per side.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:16 am 
WB Contributor

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b62 ... 1390367533 I'm no good at this..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:09 am 
WB Contributor

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b62 ... 1390283066 It's just a baby chain drive, but it's cheap to build and works well. The bug axle and bus c/v's are straight across and have even travel up and down. I have another set of brand new uncut TSL 40's for $600. That's a 400lb. Buick 3884 v6. Not the greatest of choices, not a high rever, but it is a torque monster. I finally 1/2 way grooved the tires last month. It has a Vanagon stock clutch with the springs in the middle (easy on trans), heavy press plate. The motor weight location is just right using about 9" longer trailing arms. Hope this gives you an idea. Your 2.3 will be plenty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 am 

This is the only one that will post. Guess its too cold for the phone this morning lol

Attachments:
1390397764170.jpg
1390397764170.jpg [ 73.53 KiB | Viewed 5043 times ]

Board index » General » Buggy Builds