It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:15 pm 

Hey guys!

I thought I’d put together an introductory post/build thread. I’m a 27 year-old R&D Engineer, working in Columbus, OH (living a bit north of Marysville) and am big into off-road stuff. I race ATVs in the Grand National Cross Country series and over the years have learned a lot about how to put together a machine for woods riding. I started this project in Bronson, MI in High School when I had nearly no money and even less knowledge. I worked full time through college, so it was a little hard to get to, (especially since I didn’t know much about what I was doing and my dad was too busy to really help much,) but I finally got it moving under its own power in early 2008. I tore reverse out of the type 1 transmission after about 5-10 hours of easy shake-down test-riding around the field and stuff, and then took the job in Columbus and moved away. I spent the next couple years in a small apartment, but eventually bought a house. I finally had enough space to bring the rail down and try to resurrect it, all that was missing was the time. I still don’t have a lot of that between the constant work on quads (my own and others with my side business), work (with travel, and some weekends as of late), and racing most weekends, but I’m trying hard to get back into it.

I’ve got a bit more knowledge now, and even a little money, so I’m trying to turn this thing into a solid woods rail! I had a 3 rib transmission that I bought just before I moved, but when I tried to install it a month or so ago, I found a crack in the gear carrier. So, I bought the 5-rib you see below, which is a 2000 mile-old rebuild from Rancho that a guy had in a bus. Just got it installed last night, with converted stub-axles, Type 2 CVs, and so check out the pics below.

My plans are to get it moving again, then do some long-travel coil-over work on the front and rear end, and eventually build a stroker motor for it. Originally, it was going to be mostly driven on the roads, but I’m changing my focus to woods riding, so there’ll be a lot of changes to what you see here. I’m thinking this whole thing is going to take at least a year or so to complete as I’ll be upgrading things whenever I get the money around and having fun in it between upgrades, so I’ll just post up stuff as I do it. Hopefully, it should be up and running within a week or 2.

I’m really looking forward to getting involved in the woodsbuggy community!

Thanks!

-Walt # 728
Schumacher Race Works LLC

edit: Click the pictures, idk why they're getting cut in half?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:26 pm 
WB Contributor

Nice ride and good luck. let me know if you need anything or some help I live in Columbus.

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:31 pm 
Master fabricator

Welcome, looks like your aimed in the right direction. Well except for that VW stroker motor thing. Think water cooled. :wink:
Oh, and we love pictures. :idea:

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 pm 
WB Contributor

Welcome, we all started some where with our projects. I know my first buggy was pretty sad but it was a lot of fun. Since then I have built at least three cars form myself and help a few buddies build theirs. A five rib is a great place to start invest in a super diff if it doesn't already have one. It will save you tear down time and possibly save the ring and pinion.

Although I agree with Mike on the Stroker VW motor a AC engine is a great place to start. I think you will get plenty of enjoyment out of a mild air compressor (just poking fun at my AC buddies).

You will find that this is a great site with very knowledgable folks, bear in mind we can be opinionated, but most of the time if someone is busting yours then they are trying to save you money or experimentation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

dont listen to them 2 go ac and stay ac :mrgreen: and nice buggy you have their get it going and have some fun

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 pm 
WB Contributor

Just my take... Go to the next hill climb and see what you like. Take your check book and buy somebody out of their seat cheap...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 pm 
WB Contributor

jesse wrote:
dont listen to them 2 go ac and stay ac :mrgreen: and nice buggy you have their get it going and have some fun

Oh come on Jesse you know it only took me about 22 years an a but pile of cash to change my mind and join the water cooled consortium.

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 pm 
WB Contributor

Hey . I have done it all but baby chains on water cooled will speak with authority.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 pm 
WB Contributor

2800passat wrote:
Hey . I have done it all but baby chains on water cooled will speak with authority.

Chains are for motorcycles and tree saws Passat. I am actually debating building a set of chain drive arms for my next Baja project. Full tube chassis Baja bug body water cooled with air conditioning, heat and power steering.

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:18 pm 

My new buggy is a wc and would recommend it to most everyone, but I would say for where you are at with your busy schedule you can build a decent 1835 that should do most of what you want. If your thinking of 2276 or a 2332...don't waste the money. The last 5 ac engines I built were 2332 and were not cheap. I got twice the engine in wc for the same price of an ac. Get yours going for the summer months and plan on upgrades over the winter. One of the first upgrades I would consider if you currently do not have it is dual master cylinders on your brake pedal assembly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:58 pm 

hpfreak wrote:
Nice ride and good luck. let me know if you need anything or some help I live in Columbus.Jason

Thanks! And cool, I'll keep that in mind! Got it running over the weekend but it needs a tune up like CRAZY. Need to buy myself a timing light and a degree pully and start there I think... it's backfiring through the carb every revolution, but only does so from time to time, and when it does it wants to stop running. Can an intake valve stick intermittently like that? I wouldn't have though so... but moving the distributor all around doesn't change a thing. May throw plugs in it too. The plugs and wires were new 5 years ago, but they've sat obviously... Any other thoughts?

Twotrackerbryan wrote:
One of the first upgrades I would consider if you currently do not have it is dual master cylinders on your brake pedal assembly.

I was planning on doing all CNC hydraulic stuff this winter. (i.e. pedals and cutting brakes) Is there a specific reason you're suggesting the dual masters for the brakes? I wanted to go that way anyway, but I'm curious.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:02 pm 

Oh, and the water cooled engines may be something I look into later on, but being a full time XC quad / bike racer isn't cheap, so the buggy is basically going to be build out of left-over funds and therefor isn't going to be as serious as a lot of you guys are. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:32 pm 

welcome to the site! looks like you got a decent start on things.
there are a lot of good folks on here that will help you out, if you ever have any questions. i know they have helped me a lot. so welcome and good building.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds