It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 pm 

I want to do some slight mods to my buggies and I need some 1.5"OD tubes and get them bend. Do you guys have recommendations of who can do this around Birmingham, AL? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:51 pm 

besco steel sells it.. they are over off 41st by the old mazers on 1st ave. s.
offroad connections in fultondale can bend it for you... they are behind/beside the old home field sports bar 8)

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:09 pm 

Awesome, that means I can head towards old mazers tomorrow, get some tubing and enjoy lunch at Saws BBQ :D.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:13 pm 

I spoke with them today and they do not carry DOM tubing. All they got in tubing is 14 or 16 gauge "welding" tubing. I checked online on the 14 gauge and that comes about .0747" (thinner than .095 DOM). Can I used this or should I go with the DOM steel with thicker walls?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:54 pm 

.095 ERW tubing can be bent in most lower end tubing benders but .120 wall DOM will need a "roller" style bender for smooth bends.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:33 pm 

they didnt have 1'' 1/2 .120 wall tubing?? i have bought it there before and they had a rack full of it :? what are you trying to build??

..buddy of mine has a welding shop in tarrant city, i havent been able to get him on the phone but i know he has all types of sizes in tubing, including DOM... when i hear from him, i will ask and see where he gets his supplies 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:50 pm 

Talked to Mark and he said they only had welding tubing. Let me know what you friend says, I drive twice a day through Tarrant. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:55 pm 

Btw, I have two dune buggies. One is a 4 seater and wife wants to extend the center by 12-16" for more leg room.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:15 pm 

soon as i hear from him i will let you know.. may try calling jimmy wesson at gardendale performance, he carries smaller size DOM for steering parts and what not but im sure he will know where to pick up the larger diameter tube also 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:53 pm 
WB Contributor

Aruba1 wrote:
Btw, I have two dune buggies. One is a 4 seater and wife wants to extend the center by 12-16" for more leg room.

is removing the back seat and sliding front seats back an option. You will get stuck on crests and have to double turn around trees. Been there. Raise the dash board bar for her legs. AND with the people weight so far fwd you will loose grip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 pm 

We are a family of six and her buggy will be either a 4 or 5 seater and the legroom is the rear passengers (should have stated that earlier). We'll keep it civilized when hitting the woods since the kids are still young. We are not too concerned about traction but you have a valid point. There is plenty room up front so probably another option is to move the cabin forward and raise the dashboard bar like you mentioned. Decisions decisions decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 pm 
WB Contributor

raising the rear seats will give more leg room. legs go down instead of forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:46 pm 

True but I think I have the frame to do all this. Its a longer california rail and seems like I will be hacking it with anything I do. Move the windshield frame forward and I will have to deal with the lower frame to re-align it with the windshield. Extending will be a lot of work and will require reworking the roof tubings, extending the floors (all good but I will end with a longer frame which could hurt resale value). Could get smaller bench seating for the rear seat that sits over the tranny and too close to the roof tubes and will only seats kids (good thing). Is anyone interested in a california rail with tranny? lol.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds