It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally got logged in.
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:37 am 

I'm in the same area of PA that Hunter is. I use to race the 4 cyl 4x4 class a few years ago but gave it up. It wasn't long until I had the need to get back in the seat again. I started with an od Warrior chassis that I will run the stock class at Line Mountain and the Stock WoodsBuggy class at Rolling W Ranch. I have over a year in converting it from the bare rail chassis to what it is now, finally ready to race. I hope to have some fun running it without the cost of the 4x4 to keep running.

Last edited by brownshorts on Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:38 am 

I guess that image is a little too large but you can right click and vies the image to see the whole photo until I can get them resized.

Edited photo size.

Last edited by brownshorts on Sun May 12, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 am 

Looks good man, I remember talking to you before but forget where your from. Were you at raushe creek last week?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

these races seem really cool. I wish they had races like that in the south.

Nice looking buggy. Great Job. Good luck in the race.

As for the pics, if you save them to the photo gallery above, the pics will be automatically resized for you.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:50 pm 

Hunter it's Papee, I was not at the races at RC. I had been in the hospital for blood clots, one in my lungs and one in my leg from knee surgeries. The buggy still needs a few things done to pass tech at Line Mountain and the EC4WDA events but does pass tech for other stuff like the Rolling W ranch short course stuff. http://rollingwranch.net/

As Hunter said elsewhere(I think in his build) The Line Mountain events are more of an endurance race, it's hard on the driver and equipment. You build more for longevity than speed for those events.

The Rolling W Ranch racing is more like the Lucas Racing Series, good old fashion side by side racing. I've spent a lot of hours on the buggy but now for this season I have to have someone else drive it because of the clots.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:11 pm 
WB Contributor

nice rail...hate to hear about not being able to drive it...missed our first ride this year because of a reoccuring pilonidal cyst on my tailbone.....hope you can get back in the seat soon!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:47 pm 

Yea I have about two more months before I go have my tests done again to see if I can get off the blood thinners. I still have a few good years left I hope, I turn 57 this year. Been doing this stuff for a long time. I've raced something with tires on it since the age of 12. Gocarts then motorcycle and on to drag racing then the offroad stuff in the late 90's. At least I can do some trail riding in it for now.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:03 pm 

Just gota take it easy and go with the flow. That reminds me i need to get some pics up.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:55 pm 

Just adding a few more photos and some explanation of some of the work I did.

Here it is the day I picked it up.

I changed the back end of the chassis adding another engine bar and cutting of and changing the angle of the horizontal bar. I also added another hoop to attach my new dual rear shocks. I went with these shocks because of class restrictions.

Front view, I added the bumper and shock towers. I also added a second roof bar to each side.

Rear view, I don't have the aluminum fuel cell in now, I changed to a poly fuel cell with baffles and fuel gauge.

The body panels are sheet aluminum. I just cut them close to the size I needed then used big ratchet straps to pull them into shape wrapping the ratchet straps around the whole chassis. I cut and welded all my own tabs for attachment. All panels come off in just a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:19 pm 
Master fabricator

Rolling W's Class rules suck, huge. I wanted to come and race seeing that track is only about 45 min. from me but the rules won't allow me to run. It would be nice to have an unlimited class.

G
A

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 am 

Sorry to hear about your cyst thing goin on. Suprised they don't call you RED SHORTS cause I had the same cust and it was always bleeding. The operation finally took care of that but the recovery was about six months in my case. I had my surgery when i WAS ABOUT 15, and I'll be 58 soon. I still felt that surgery till I was about 40. I've run Line MTN. before being from Perry CO., so I feel your pain. Used to tear up Shamokin a good bit in my days too. Your buggy looks awesome bye the way. Hope you get to enjoy it . It's like I tell them, Gettin old is a bitch. I've forgotten more than a lot will ever know !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:26 am 

MadMike wrote:
Rolling W's Class rules suck, huge. I wanted to come and race seeing that track is only about 45 min. from me but the rules won't allow me to run. It would be nice to have an unlimited class.

You must have one heck of a buggy not falling in one of the classes available. I don't think it's the rules but the demand for a new class. If there are not enough buggies showing up to make a "special" class it's not worth pissing off people who show and not have enough to run a class.

I think the idea of racing is looking at the rules and building a car to fit the class you choose and not building a buggy then looking for a place it fits. I could be wrong because it happens frequently.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:28 pm 
Master fabricator

brownshorts wrote:

You must have one heck of a buggy not falling in one of the classes available. I don't think it's the rules but the demand for a new class. If there are not enough buggies showing up to make a "special" class it's not worth pissing off people who show and not have enough to run a class.

I think the idea of racing is looking at the rules and building a car to fit the class you choose and not building a buggy then looking for a place it fits. I could be wrong because it happens frequently.

No, all I have is a 30 year old piece of crap. I'm good with the any motor, any trans, any modifications to the suspension part. Everything is good right up to the must have 2 seats thing. I feel like bolting a second seat to the treebars and showing up just to be a dick. (which I'm good at) Hell i would be willing to give a lap head start just to make it interesting.

G
A

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:56 pm 

I'm not sure when you tried but there are single seat buggies running there now. Post your buggy and specs on their forum with any questions and I'm sure Gary will get back to you.

Here is a link to the gallery with a few.
http://rollingwranch.net/gallery.html

Here is a link to the correct forum to post in.

http://rollingwranch.net/forum/viewforu ... e8a60222d9

Nice buggy BTW, I'll give you two Snickers Bars and a Tootsie Roll Pop for it since it's old and a POC and all.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:17 pm 
BOTM Winner

Is this the same Gary that had the track in Ohio a few years back? N.O.R.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:31 pm 

Gary Wulfe N.O.O.R.A. They have a pre-season drivers meeting and take a consenus on rule changes, dates, etc. and try to make everyone happy. Most of the big boys are running Jetta power and are peeing in their pants worrying about the day a 2.0 turbo Ecotec shows up. All in all it still is a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:22 pm 
BOTM Winner

Ok, I know Gary. I raced my Pilots at his track for years. Then the last race I did there was a hairsramble in my current Woodsbuggy right after I built it. Gary decided to have the Buggys race with trucks wiche I thought was a really bad ideal considering the weight difference. Well sure enough an ASSHOLE in a truck named John decided to "T" bone me at 70MPH and put me up on 2 wheels in a corn field! :evil: He then claims I was off the track. Like that gives the Mfer the right to wreck me! Never went back. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:35 pm 

Definitely not how buggy people would behave I hope. Some people just ain't got no fetching up.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:16 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
Ok, I know Gary. I raced my Pilots at his track for years. Then the last race I did there was a hairsramble in my current Woodsbuggy right after I built it. Gary decided to have the Buggys race with trucks wiche I thought was a really bad ideal considering the weight difference. Well sure enough an ASSHOLE in a truck named John decided to "T" bone me at 70MPH and put me up on 2 wheels in a corn field! :evil: He then claims I was off the track. Like that gives the Mfer the right to wreck me! Never went back. :roll:

Wow, I don't know what the situation was but that could have turned out worse. We race Line Mountain every year with all classes running at the same time. That I know of we never had anything like it. Give it another shot, the sport needs it. Just sounds like a bad sport out there to me. It could have been that there was not enough cars to make a class so they ran them together, like I said I wasn't there, in fact I have not been there yet. I just learned about it a few months ago. We all have to learn and grow together. Anyone else hear Cum bye ya playing in the background? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:42 pm 
WB Contributor

MadMike wrote:
brownshorts wrote:

No, all I have is a 30 year old piece of crap. I'm good with the any motor, any trans, any modifications to the suspension part. Everything is good right up to the must have 2 seats thing. I feel like bolting a second seat to the treebars and showing up just to be a dick. (which I'm good at) Hell i would be willing to give a lap head start just to make it interesting.

Mike it doesn't look or run like crap. Unlimited is unlimited?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 pm 
Master fabricator

The first time I checked into this their web site only listed a woodsbuggy and super woodsbuggy class. The link must have been for an updated web site that lists a super buggy class that my car would qualify for.
And no it's not a poc, there is no special font for sarcasm here and it has along way to go before it's ready to run.
Two snicker bars and a Tootsie Roll Pop, best offer I've gotten yet. Damn, still no sarcasm font.

I will be taking a ride up there this weekend to check things out, sounds like this could be fun.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:41 pm 
WB Contributor

Mike, it's all racing junk. I got the sarcasm and have an appreciation for a guy with talent. I just wish I had your workshop and the machines.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:52 pm 
Master fabricator

Having fun shouldn't be this expensive. If I were to run it would cost me $75 :shock: What is the payout on this {and the last time I checked the circus paid the clowns to perform not the other way around} sarcasm alert. It didn't cost that much to race sprint cars at Learnerville.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:33 pm 

That's my fault Mike, I am working on the website for him and I missed a few things. I have a small web hosting company and do a little side work. I have never met Gary or been to the track so I don't know a whole lot about it, I am just copying things from their old site over to the new one. I'm just looking for a few more ways to get some more use out of the buggy other than just the Line Mountain events.

All I know about the payout is that it is 100% I guess the ambulance fee and membership would be excluded from that and it would just be the entry fee. Don't quote me on this but I do believe someone told me it was also winner take all and no second or third money.

I'm sure things will change as the track grows and hope the best for him. I'd like to see more of this because of loosing all the lands we have available to us to ride. I've been running a bike or a buggy for a long time and cringe at the loss of places I ran 35=40 years ago.

I'm a poor retired/disabled guy, I can bump that offer up another candy bar if there is any other bidders. Don't take me too serious, I'm here for the sport and to learn what I can do to my buggy for peanuts.

Oh and here is just a little project we are working on. I'm torn between putting this in the buggy or my airboat.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:03 pm 
BOTM Winner

brownshorts wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:

Wow, I don't know what the situation was but that could have turned out worse. We race Line Mountain every year with all classes running at the same time. That I know of we never had anything like it. Give it another shot, the sport needs it. Just sounds like a bad sport out there to me. It could have been that there was not enough cars to make a class so they ran them together, like I said I wasn't there, in fact I have not been there yet. I just learned about it a few months ago. We all have to learn and grow together. Anyone else hear Cum bye ya playing in the background? :lol:

Not interested in Racing my Woodsbuggy again. I have way too much time and money (stopped counting at 25K)tied up into my Buggy to have it destroyed! :roll:

Board index » General » Buggy Builds