It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:39 pm 
WB Contributor

Forty, can you weigh your engine complete with Flywheel and clutch prior to your final install. Getting ready to build a new 2 seater and need as close to exact weight for figuring out engine placement. I have a feeling that I may be getting with Passat to build some baby chains to shove the engine as far forward as I can.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 pm 

I can do that for you Red. I should be pulling the engine out Thursday and will weigh it then. I'd take a guess around 400 pounds with everything including oil. May be a bit more with the exhaust but we shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 pm 

Clutch and pressure plate showed up today. Hoping to get everything installed tomorrow and wired to fire it up. Only needs about 5 or 6 wires to get it running. Hopefully it all works with no leaks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 pm 

Wow, have you been busy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:07 pm 

Got it running today. Have to replace the gasket on the thermostat because it drips a little. Easy fix. The wiring is just thrown together to get it going and will need all fixed up before driving much.

It's really, really LOUD! :mrgreen: Driving it isn't bad, in the garage it sounds like an Indy car. Screams when you snap the throttle. I ordered a Supertrapp spark arrestor so I can take it in certain forest areas. I hope it quiets it down just a little. I was expecting it to be pretty quick and have some torque but I have to admit that it is much stronger than I expected. It will rev to 6000 in a matter of a couple seconds in first or second. The boggers didn't stand a chance in second gear, easily spun when shifted a little harder than expected. I have to watch it to make this transmission last. I'm very pleased so far. Another week or two of work to get it all tied up and off to the woods and street.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:16 pm 

Video..... Or it didn't happen! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:15 pm 

I took a short video when I fired it up. It was idling high but I wrapped the throttle a few times. No idea how to get it onto my computer to photobucket. I emailed it off my iphone to my computer but my computer won't save it. I can send it to someone that knows what to do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:10 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

send it to me I'll try it.

hillaholic@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sounds good. Let me know if you can view it. Videos suck on photo bucket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 pm 

Thanks for posting that. I'll get better video when I get the gopro mounted. That was when it first started. Smoked a little from being on it's side when I got it. Hasn't smoked at all since it burnt it all off. I'll get it all sorted out next week I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:31 pm 

sounds awesome for bein w/c :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm 
WB Contributor

Think about a spare trans, just exploded 2nd gear in my wagon going down to the gas station. Ran it up to 3800 in first shifted to second up 3600 and bang no more teeth on second gear.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:48 pm 

I've already been looking. Stinks that you lost 2nd. I can tell these engines will easily eat transmissions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:04 pm 
WB Contributor

I was lucky it lasted 2 years but it had another 5 on it with an AC engine so it doesn't owe me. I had my spare at Chuck Jones shop in Kentucky so he is taking it apart to check it out today. If it is in good shape I will just pull my primary out take up and swap it. I now have a donor trans to receive all Weddle gears.

I knew I was on barowed time. I figure I would baby it that didn't happen. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:30 pm 

Got the rear cage on today. Hooked up the oil pressure sender. Cleaned out the IAC and got it to idle down around 600-700 rpm. Runs really smooth, starts easy and is plenty powerful. Need to tie up the wires for the computer and bolt the computer down and it's ready to go. Short video starting it up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm 
WB Contributor

Where did you hook up your oil pressure gauge on the engine? Can you take a photo? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm 

On the front left of the engine there is a series of plugs around the coolant drain. One has a bell shaped rubber cover. That sender is just an oil warning light. I removed it and put in an 1/8" NPT brass street 90 and then screwed in my Auto Meter electric sender.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:44 pm 
WB Contributor

Ok that is where I want to put mine. I want to keep the stock sender but it will not matter if I have to delete it. The vetch engines will shut down on loss of oil pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:47 pm 

I'd put a 90 degree fitting in and then a T off of that so you can run both. My sender wasn't hooked to anything in my harness. It was just a wire at the ECU so I could hook a light up to it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 pm 

Looks and sounds great, have you had a chance to run it on the trails?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 am 

I've had it on the street some but no trails yet. My rear calipers use the bolt on bracket and they keep rubbing. I'm about to tear them apart and fix them for good, I hope. I also started to change the shift linkage over to the Weddle style side shift linkage. That project is about done but needs some final touches and the seats put back in the car. I have a leak in a brake line flare too that needs fixed. Basically all the little crap that happens on a new build. I just haven't had much time with our seasonal work picking up in the Spring. Hopefully that settles down soon because I really want to get out and get it dirty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:39 am 

Forty,
Awsome build but a minor suggestion when videoing... When u video with ur phone turn it one 1/4 more turn and it will fill the screen when u download it. The phone, if its a smart phone should sit long ways in a horizontal fashion..
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 am 
WB Contributor

I love it!!! You and I both know it will start off in 2nd but don't do it. AND just draaaaag your cut brake. You'll have a pile of busted trans in no time . Side shifts aren't worth rebuilding because the only thing that breaks usually is the r and p. SO where do you find a bad side shift with a good ring and pinion? And the case will bust at 4 o'clock at the bell housing if you lock down a cut brake and there fore loosen up the pinion nut and boom another r and p. Just trying to help not hurt. I absolutely love the powerhouse!

Board index » General » Buggy Builds