It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:41 pm 
WB Contributor

Quote:
I'm still a big fan of Ford and I do think the 2.3 is a good engine. The problem is it's becoming old technology, similar to the aircooled VW. They both are cool, make good power but are just not as modern. New engines, with stock ECU's are making some very good power, reliably and on pump gas. I think I'm going to like this engine a lot. Very easy to work on so far and for the cost of replacement it's an easy decision.

I was watching Horse Power on Spike and they did an Eslinger Ford 2.3 liter build that made 260 hp at the fly wheel running a 2 barrel carb. On 92 octane pump gas. That 2.3 will turn like 10,000 rpm with the Eslinger crank and block but I am sure it will cost a pile of $$$$$$$$$$.

Glad you found the EGR port. If you can manage to keep it in the stock location then it will probably eliminate some induction piping. Best of luck with now get it making some noise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 pm 

I too am running a Kush lock disc for a little slip. I don't think a 4 or 6 puck would be good with the torque.

I know torque kills transmission but it also only kills transmissions when you have it mashed to the floor from a dead stop, spinning the tires and not clutching on a jump. I'm an old driver so hopefully it'll live a while.

I'm uploading pics now of the progress from today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 pm 

I'm not sure where Outback gets their engine weights but they are off a little. I'm also not sure what all they include. I guess if I had anitfreeze, oil and gas in the fuel lines I'd be closer. :roll:

It's not too heavy for a V-6. I included everything I could except the alternator. I don't have one yet. I'd guess it adds 5-8#

Engine weight 324#

Adapter plate, flywheel, intake top, power steering pump and water manifold add 39#. Looks like approximate weight of 363# plus the alternator and fluids, so maybe 375# installed wet.

Fit pretty nicely actually. The water manifold is on the back so it made for a tight fit. In order to get radiator hoses fitted I had to remove the cross bar and upper transmission mount. The radiator will move up close to the fuel cell and the cross brace will be adapted to fit the back of the engine along with the upper transmission mount.

After removing the radiator and cross support. Also started prepping the water manifold for -16 AN fittings to be welded on, temp sensor and fan sensor to be tapped in and other lines plugged up.

Plenty of room to move the radiator up and have room for hoses and the new cross support.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm 
WB Contributor

Forty, if the budget allows clean up the aluminum block and spray it with a clear sealer for aluminum. Or like mine it will oxidize and take on the color of the mud in your area.

It looks like it fits ok, Looks like you will be turning the intake around. The modular design makes the J35 a really easy engine to work on. Which other than modifications for install you will not have do really any wrenching.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 pm 

We have some sort of acid called aluma bright or something like that. I'll spray it down with that probably and clean it up some. I plan to paint the valve covers and clean up the intake some once I get it all in there. It'll be a few weeks before it's to that point. A lot of little things to make and fit that take time.

Last edited by fortydegnorth on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 pm 

you sure are motivated for an old guy :lol: :lol: lookin good forty.. at this pace, you should be ready for the first hillclimb at hawks pride 8)

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:17 pm 
WB Contributor

It is amazing how clean they are straight out of a car or van in your case. A testimate to good design, the engine that is. The auto transmission from 01 to 05. Good for us though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 pm 

reno2165 wrote:
you sure are motivated for an old guy :lol: :lol: lookin good forty.. at this pace, you should be ready for the first hillclimb at hawks pride 8)

I drive like an old guy, I'm not an old guy. :mrgreen:

Unless 35 makes me old. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:28 pm 

OLD :lol: :lol: 35 isnt near as old to me as it used to be.. jus pokin fun, nice build.. jus get it done already!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:54 pm 
WB Contributor

these acid cleaners that clean aluminium and magnesium. Are we sure they don't penatrate DEEP into the metal and make it weaker?I soaked a vw block at work in our parts cleaner once and it came out like crumbly flakey mud(ruined).Sure I left it in there too long, but if you do it rite , how do we know where the penatration stopped?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 pm 

2800passat wrote:
how do we know where the penatration stopped?

when you hit bottom :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:50 am 
WB Contributor

Darn whipper snappers poking fun at the guys with more experience. Old is completely a state of mind. So to that I am a young man with some life experience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:09 am 
WB Contributor

reno2165 wrote:
2800passat wrote:
how do we know where the penatration stopped?

when you hit bottom :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

good one good one! Reno ain't it past your bed time!lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm 
WB Contributor

Hod you have it making noise yet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 pm 

It's been snowing off and on the last couple days so I've actually been working a lot. Can't complain about having work though. I'll take it over working on the buggy any day.....even though I'd rather be in the garage. Looks like the weather pattern changes after Tuesday and we are looking at high 30's and 40's so I'll have a lot of time to get back in the garage and hopefully a little money will come in to invest in the parts I need to finish it up before Spring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:27 pm 
WB Contributor

Glad your getting some snow, I am still looking for work in Tennessee but it is slow in construction in the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 pm 

I've been waiting on parts but still got a little work done.

Welded up the factory water manifold for -16 AN fittings, welded up the EGR and ports I didn't need.

Flipped the thermostat housing to make it face the correct way for the radiator. On the car:

This tube connects the water pump at the front of the engine to the water manifold at the rear of the engine. It had a heater hose connection off to the side. I cut it off, smashed it in the vice and tig welded a bead along the seam to seal it up.

Started cleaning up the engine a little. Polished the intake cap, not well but good enough for now. Blasted the intake and valve covers so I could paint them. All painted and back on:

A lot more to go but it's getting better. More parts are showing up every day to get this project done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 pm 
WB Contributor

I didn't tell you in earlier post but the bolt hole on the passenger side of the block will need to be welded up or you could thread a bolt in it. It is open to the bell housing any will allow dirt to enter. You should also seal around the block off on the adaptor. if you don't dirt will get in and cause your rear main to fail. Oh and if the engine has been sitting on a shelf you will want to replace the rear main seal. Mine went within the first couple of months. It sucks pulling one of these if you don't have too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm 

Yeah I read that on Glamis Dunes about the holes that need filled. They seem to use RTV but I think I'll bolt them or weld them. Won't take but a couple minutes. The engine still needs to come back out to get the pilot bearing installed along with the clutch and pressure plate. It's just in there for mockup. For now I'm going to try and work with the intake in the stock position. Should work, but we'll see when the intake silicone gets here and the radiator gets re-mounted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:12 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Man this thing is looking good. But for the love of god QUIT POSTING UPSIDE DOWN PICS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just keep turning iPad in circles trying to see it and pic still stays upside down,lol. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:42 pm 

gasman wrote:
Man this thing is looking good. But for the love of god QUIT POSTING UPSIDE DOWN PICS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just keep turning iPad in circles trying to see it and pic still stays upside down,lol. Chad :mrgreen:

Must be the ipad. They look right on my laptop. I'll try my wife's ipad and see how they look. Those things do the craziest things sometimes.

I know on our ipones we can turn off the auto screen flip somehow. Probably under settings I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 pm 

Did a bunch of measuring and staring today. I did get the air filter where it will be going. Need to get the mount made but the tubing is there. Started working on exhaust and decided I need to order more parts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 pm 

Nice man... I can't wait to see how this one turns out...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 pm 

I want one of those air filters. Where did you get it and how much ???

Thanks, Huey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 am 

Huey wrote:
I want one of those air filters. Where did you get it and how much ???

Thanks, Huey

It's a Donaldson. Here is a link to all the information about this one and others.
http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... =2&t=14223

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds