It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:17 pm 

See my intro here http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... =2&t=14409

I figured I had better start a build/project thread since this was turning into more work by the minute. I picked this up a few days ago from Craigslist, and so far, everything I was told has been a lie. But, you live and learn and move on with the project.

The beginning

Came with some extra junk.

After a couple rounds with Aircraft Remover and the pressure washer. Do NOT get this stuff on bare skin. The smallest speck burns like hell. If you do, do NOT wash it off your hand with the pressure washer you just switched from fan to stream. It WILL remove the stripper, along with the skin that was previously burning.

Well, isn't that nice?

Seeing how I like the new color. My wife calls me the Grinch, so the green fits.

Now let's see if we can find those oil leaks I was assured didn't exist. :evil:

Now where did you come from, little fella?

Oh, that's where. Wonder where the nut is? And WTF is going on here? Just keeps getting better!!

Well, at least the other side matches. And the bottom. Yay

That's about all I can take for now. I left the motor on the lift and the frame in the driveway. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

On a brighter note, one of the members here has already offered up some parts to help ease the pain a little bit. Can't wait to meet him and check out his buggy. Maybe I'll pick up some ideas on what I want to do with mine on a VERY limited budget now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:30 pm 
WB Contributor

Keep your head up buddy. It may not be all bad, the good news is that it is winter and you can spend it working on or saving up. Rome was not built in a day and since this is your first pace your self and ask questions. There are many really great people that are involved in the sport.

Just let us know your needs and questions, one of us will have the part, the answer, or know where to find it on the cheap. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 pm 

I'm trying. I was looking for a little project, but looks like I got a big one for the same price :D

Don't worry, there will be lots of questions. I'll try to figure out some things on my own, but no need to reinvent the wheel. I'll search and ask quite a bit. So far this seems like a great community. I hope to hang around for quite a while. It's going to take me that long to get finished, if you are ever really finished. I've been doing 2 wheelers for a while, let's see how I can do with 4.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:42 pm 
WB Contributor

you will financially destroy yourself like I've done by starting off at the bottom. Bag your money up and wait for someone going thru a divorce and practicly steal their trophy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:15 am 

In for a penny, in for a pound. The money is already spent on this one, so I'll just have to make the best of it and just take a little longer and do a lot more work myself. But in the end, I'll know every nut and bolt inside and out of the buggy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 pm 

This was in my classified ad, but figured I would post it here also. You guys are awesome.

Red Barron wrote:

I am about three hours North, if you need some help on a weekend let me know ahead of time and I will bring my buggy and some tools down to help you out. Make a list of some of the parts you need and post them on here. You can get some great gently used parts on this site.

Best of luck, we have your back. :mrgreen:

Really! That's awesome of you to offer! This hobby/message board is amazing. Are all buggy folks like you guys? I've been a member here for about 5 minutes and I've been offered several parts and now tools and help to get me going. I thought the motorcycle community was close, they have nothing on the buggy community. And it's not like you guys are just down the road, that's quite a drive. I know, I went to Chattanooga not too long ago to look at a bike. I'm definitely here to stay and will give back in any way I can. If anybody has any computer issues, let me know. If you can connect to the Internet, I can usually remote in and fix most issues while you watch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 pm 
WB Contributor

Hey man that is what this group is all about. I have only been on here since September, I went to the last hill climb event in Wind Rock in October and met Diamond Dave, Darrell, and the Alabama gang. They all welcomed me like we were old friends. I moved here from Tampa Florida in late April and I am loving all of the great places to ride.

I have been doing the buggy thing since 1976, Yea I was 2 much like my boy is now. I have built a few cars and I have seen just about every type of problem or breakage. Just a lot of time behind the wrenches. I went to the dark side last year and installed a Acura 3.2 V6 engine, just tired of tuning and wrenching. Nothing quite like plugging in the computer to the OBD II port for diagnostics and codes. A few minutes and maybe a sensor and your on the road again.

There is so much information on the threads on this site. While you are saving up use the search tool and you can learn a bunch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm 

Nice ride! If I get more serious about this and can get the wife on board, a 4 seater might be down the road one day. We love to take the top off the Bronco and go park down a dirt road away from the city lights and star gaze with the kids. Baby steps for now, I need to cut my teeth on something simple like I have now. Nice, easy VW aircooled.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks for the compliment, and I understand completely. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 am 

Wallet time. For some stupid reason, all mounting tabs were removed from the frame. No lights, seat belts, nothing. I'm thinking about ordering some of the Large Light Tabs and Seat Belt Tabs from http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/bug ... ynuts2.htm and weld them on before I go any further.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm 
WB Contributor

tack all of your tabs on until your 100% positive on everything, in case you want to move them, its much easier to deal with! and your gonna need some tree bars on that thing if your gonna ride in the woods, good luck with your build man! thats about where i started years ago :mrgreen: ah the memories :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm 
WB Contributor

Dave, if you keep driving the way you do you will be back there again, you spindle destroying, beer drinking, buggy killing, and just an all round great guy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 pm 

diamonddav wrote:
and your gonna need some tree bars on that thing if your gonna ride in the woods

I thought that's what those little short round things in front of each rear tire were for. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:11 pm 
WB Contributor

No those are what we call torsion bars and they support your buggy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 pm 

Not much progress during the week. Been kinda busy after work and it's dark when I get home. I just pulled the pressure plate and clutch and they both look almost new. But how the heck do you get that nut off the center of the flywheel? I'll crack at it some more tomorrow.

Got a little more stripping done. I'm probably about to the point to shoot it all with Rustoleum primer. I think I'll skip the sandblasting because of the cost.

Oh, and I'm getting ready to order light tabs, gasket set, push rod tubes, distributor bracket (mine is stripped out), brake light switch, and brake line clamps. Anything I'm missing, other than brake lines? I figured it would be cheap enough to just get those local. Anybody have a rough estimate of lengths needed to run from master to rear T, T to rubber lines and rubber to Hub?

Has anybody had experience with the nylon push rod tubes on Appletree? http://www.appletreeauto.com/product.ph ... 265&page=1

Or should I just stick with these? http://www.appletreeauto.com/product.ph ... 355&page=1

Never mind, looks like the nylon ones are a really bad idea. I might just go with the Scat spring loaded ones so I don't have to pull the heads. But, boy are they pricey. $23 for stock, $63 for Scat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:57 pm 

After more stripping, lots of grinding with a wire cup, and a good cleaning with naval jelly, she's all primed and ready for some color.

On another note, had a guy stop by yesterday to shoot the breeze about VWs. Turns out he lives right around the corner and had seen the buggy, but I was never around when he would drive by. He has his own shop with tons of tools. He's also a VW guru with a Ghia, a baja, and old stocker with roof rack and just stopped by in his metallic green Manx. Pretty cool older fella that I need to get to know. Maybe he can pass some of his knowledge along. Or at least point me in the general direction.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:04 pm 
WB Contributor

I like the green it reminds me of my old car
Tabs and such can get expensive so try to find a place or a person to buy them in bulk. I think Instigator a sponsor water jets them. I would brace your rear roll bar hoop before finish paint goes on. These things have a habit of rolling over.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:27 pm 

Part of the first coat. I ran out of paint. One can started pouring out paint when I pushed the button, otherwise I could have got a good first coat on.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:29 pm 

Brace it where? I definitely don't want it to crush if I roll it. But, I have no bender or pipe source, hence no tree bars.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 pm 
WB Contributor

You wanna put an X brace in the rear main hoop No bender needed :wink: Id say one of the Biggest safety mods you can make!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 pm 

Gotcha. The big hoop right behind your head and gas tank? Also, how hard is it to build the bottom engine cage? I want to put one on eventually so I can mount a ball and pull my little car-top-carrier trailer. The PO(S) before me cut the two down tubes off the rear cross brace where the usually mount.

This trailer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:44 pm 
WB Contributor

Nice bike man, I have never risen but the more I see the more I think about buying one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm 

Thanks. It was a monster. Flat six Goldwing engine stuffed in a cruiser frame. I wish they hadn't stop making them. I really liked it, but like the other toys, it has been passed on to another to play with for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:13 pm 
WB Contributor

I really like the Gold Wings but I am about 20 years too young. I am thinking about a vintage Indian when the economy improves. My grand father raced Indian motorcycles on the coal slag tracks in New Jersey long before I was born. I wouldn't mind I Harley either but those are dreams until my boy gets older and construction picks back up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:23 pm 

Red Barron wrote:
I really like the Gold Wings but I am about 20 years too young. I am thinking about a vintage Indian when the economy improves. My grand father raced Indian motorcycles on the coal slag tracks in New Jersey long before I was born. I wouldn't mind I Harley either but those are dreams until my boy gets older and construction picks back up.

Never too young for a Goldwing. I was going to buy one before I got the Valkyrie, but the brake system on the one I was looking at was bad. It has to be the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden, and it was an older 94 1500.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds