It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1835cc upgrades
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 pm 

Well so far i have replaced the starter, points, plugs and wires, converted to alternator kit, new fuel pump, added an electric fuel pump to help the mechanical one, new fuel lines, rebuilt the carbs, and repainted the exhaust. The gas tank that was on it was leaking and apparently hand made, so i have taken it out and currently looking for another to replace it with. I figured since im replacing the tank why not go ahead and make better use of space and build in some much needed storage! I also plan on finishing the body work, and eventually repainting. What im thinking of doing is hanging the tank as close to the back of the seats as possible while still being safe and then turning the rest of the area that was meant for the tank into storage. Hopefully i will be able to order the tank on friday! We'll see what the misses says! Im working 25 hours of overtime in the next 2 weeks to help fund my obsession!

-B

Post subject: Re: 1835cc upgrades
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:13 pm 

Looks like a good project. You may consider moving the gas tank back towards the fan shroud and making the storage closer to the seats. Just a thought. I like the little fender/splash guards on the back. Nothing like getting a rooster tail of mud on your lap or back of the head.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 pm 

fortydegnorth wrote:
Looks like a good project. You may consider moving the gas tank back towards the fan shroud and making the storage closer to the seats. Just a thought. I like the little fender/splash guards on the back. Nothing like getting a rooster tail of mud on your lap or back of the head.

Thanks man! Its been a fun little buggie! Cant wait to get it like i want it! BTW your build is freaking amazing! I wish i had the time/money/skills to do a buggy like that!!! Job well done sir! Post a video when you get it out and running! I'd like to see it!

-B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm 

If I were you I would not order one, I would head down to your local weld shop and have them build one to the space you have. If you do it correctly you can have the storage unit and the tank all built into one. Figure 10 to 15 gallons of gas and the rest is usable storage.
Bryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:17 pm 

Twotrackerbryan wrote:
If I were you I would not order one, I would head down to your local weld shop and have them build one to the space you have. If you do it correctly you can have the storage unit and the tank all built into one. Figure 10 to 15 gallons of gas and the rest is usable storage.
Bryan

I kinda am doing that. I'm ordering it through an out of state guy but he's building it from my specs! Then after I get it put in I'm gonna head down to my uncles shop and build in the storage around the tank! If I had the money I'd have this guy build everything for me but his custom tanks start at $400. It'll still be nice though! Do you think I could get away with a little smaller tank or no?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:20 pm 

I would take what your average fill up is and multiply that by 1.5. Most of the group we run with use about 7 gallons per trip and for us, a 12 gallon tank more than suffices. Better to be a little large than small.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:56 pm 
WB Contributor

heres what i would do if i were to do it again and you have the perfect setup for it. mount the tank under where it was. put a peice of steel or aluminum like diamond plate over it cutting a hole for just the fill neck to poke through. now all that space on top is prime storage space.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 pm 
WB Contributor

I think this is an example of the previous post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:26 pm 
WB Contributor

exactly what i was talking about. thank you. I love the cooler at first glance i thought it was the battery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:13 pm 

hpfreak wrote:
heres what i would do if i were to do it again and you have the perfect setup for it. mount the tank under where it was. put a peice of steel or aluminum like diamond plate over it cutting a hole for just the fill neck to poke through. now all that space on top is prime storage space.

Good idea! Let me see what i can figure out...Time to go take some measurements...after looking at it further i dont think it'll work on mine. Not enough clearance there. Even if i relocated the battery im not sure how i would mount the tank unless i welded another round bar right behind the seats. I would have to make some bends in it to give clearance. This definitely has me thinking though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:03 pm 

Here's my mock up so far...

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh34 ... ff9c32.jpg

With the lid open:
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh34 ... 10a121.jpg

Where the tank will be mounted as of right now...
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh34 ... 495208.jpg

For now this is as much as i can do. I need the tank before i can actually start cutting some aluminum!

-B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 pm 
WB Contributor

I think you could make a 6 1/2 gallon fit (6" diameter) relocate the battery up front for better weight distribution. You might think about doing a truck type rear cage using flanges so it can be removed then you could keep you design and make a hinged deck to cover the engine and serve as storage.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds