It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:54 pm 
WB Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Awesome looking buggy... We need to meet and go riding somewhere near us..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:44 pm 
WB Contributor

Where do you live in Atlanta? I have never done much ridding up in Chattanooga since I don't like to break rule #1 never go out alone. It is always nice to have a second or third in case of catastrophic failure. I usually don't have reliability issues as my car is built with made in USA parts. The only thing on my car from another country is the Acura 3.2. I looked your build and you did a real nice job. I especially like getting the little one involved. My two year old son doesn't like air impact at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:09 pm 

Very nice looking ride! I love the Acura engine. Looks very clean in there. Your baja claws have me thinking they'd be good for the street so I can cut my boggers for offroad. Looks great :!:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:13 pm 
WB Contributor

Nice car . Looks great !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:29 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks for the great comments. I was very lucky to have my two best friends help me build the frame. They were both between jobs and I was working. The tires are Pro-comp Xterrian 31X12.5 X15 they work great on the street and air them down to 8 lbs and they work great off road. I have a set of 4 BFG KM2 mud terrain tires for my Tundra that I plan on mounting on the front and rear when I get back to work and have a little cash. I want to go Fox 2.0 coil over on the front. But as always the new beam, wheels, Fodrill spindles, and power steering rack it will probably be a year or more before I can justify all the cash. I wise man or two on this site put it well figure out what you think it will cost and just double it. You would think these things were boats.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Red Barron wrote:
Where do you live in Atlanta? I have never done much ridding up in Chattanooga since I don't like to break rule #1 never go out alone. It is always nice to have a second or third in case of catastrophic failure. I usually don't have reliability issues as my car is built with made in USA parts. The only thing on my car from another country is the Acura 3.2. I looked your build and you did a real nice job. I especially like getting the little one involved. My two year old son doesn't like air impact at all.

My build and your build are night and day.... I stick to bolt-on options while you have a truly customized buggy.

As for the kids, I love getting them involved. If you make it to a hill climb, I will most likely have one or two of them with me.

I live North of Atlanta in Roswell. I do a lot of riding at Durhamtown, Choccolocco and WindRock. WIndRock would be the best place to meet. It is located near knoxville.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:14 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks man as you know it is a labor of love. I started ridding with dad when I was 2 years old and as irony would have it at 39 years old I had to build a four seater for my wife and son to ride. I am going to be back in Tennessee next Friday. I was working on a hugh project in Charleston TN but I got laid off so I am back out looking for another job. I had my two closest friends help me build the chassis as they were both out of work then. I have to give them a lot of credit as I worked on this car a ton for like 8 weeks. If you have any questions or need anything I can be a resource. The V6 is just unbelievable when it comes to torque.

Have you ever been to Prentice Cooper in Chattanooga? It is nice with some great trails and some real technical areas that my limo can't go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:29 am 

Very nice! What frame is that?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 am 
WB Contributor

It is a one-off custom that started with a four seat car for four full side adults. I was frustrated with tuning carbs and adjusting valves so the v6 Acura was almost a no brainer. I am afraid that powder coat isnt quite a shiny now that is has been through the woods more than a few trips. Thanks for the positive feed back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:45 pm 

what ecu you using?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:57 pm 
WB Contributor

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
what ecu you using?

I am running the factory ECU out of the car with a few minor tweaks it runs all day with the computer thinking it is in reverse so it doesn't look for the speed sensors in the Auto trans. it isn't rocket science, I had a little help from a tuner to figure out what to jumper. VTECH Performance in Arizona sells a complete kit for those that don't know how or don't want to figure it out. The Guy who owns the Company is Carl and he is really helpful. I bought an EGR block off and fuel pump from him.

I have another thread on the WC forum with a bit more info. I will be posting more photos of the buggy end of the week. I will take some photo's of the electronics as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 pm 
WB Contributor

Engine over head photo showing the rotated intake
Passenger side exhaust
Driver side exhaust with O2 sensor bung from stock y pipe (stock exhaust manifolds & heat shields)
Trans nose mount shifted back for 3x5 trailing arms (reduce cv angle)
Overhead of 3.2 engine
Front end photo 6" widened beam
The Cockpit view
Honda Civic Optima yellow top
Radiator shroud and fans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:54 am 

Thats very cool 8) the acura engine has my attention :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:27 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks, If you have any questions about it I have a thread on the Water Cooled Forum. I have a good source of these engines.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 pm 
WB Contributor

I thought I would post my latest upgrade. I striped the syncro hub teeth on second gear about two weeks ago going to the gas station to fill up a ride the next day. Since I had the power plant out and the skid plates out I decided to get the floor pans and skid plates Line-X coated top and bottom. I really like the slip resistance, I have almost injured myself with snow on a slick aluminum.

Here are a few photos:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 am 

Good looking rail you have there man... how did you polish the ribs on the trans?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:27 pm 
WB Contributor

Fine sand paper 1500 grit then, steel wool, then aluminum polishing rouge and a DA. Lengthy process just to get covered in mud and grease. I have my bare aluminum stock 091 in it now. I blew up the pretty one two weeks ago. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:51 pm 

Line-x floor looks great. I did the roll on bedliner on mine and it's not nearly as nice as Rhino, Line-x or other professional spray. I'd much rather the coated floor than bare aluminum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks for the compliment Forty it means a lot coming from a guy with your skills. I got a great deal from my Line-x guy, he use to race Baja 500 and 1000 in a buggy. He is trying to get me to finish his project car. He charged me $150.00 for both sides.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds