It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 pm 

well made some good progress today. i messed around with some little stuff for a couple hours because i was stumped witht the engine not firing so i was waiting on my uncle to get home. when he did he listened to it and we checked that all the plugs were makin spark. they were but it was really weak but it wasn't the plugs or the ignition wires hurting us. s we ate some dinner and went back at it. so next we went to the coil, he thought it may be that so we took the old one off and swapped it with the one off the old buggy. tryed firing it up and bam it went. i was so pumped haha. so we planned what were gonna do and here it is:
tomorrow i'm dropping the engine and tranny then i leave for vacation friday. the tranny is froze up so he plans on going through that to see what the issue is there. next we are going to go through the engine. know right now it is getting a new carb.anyways he told me i can repaint it when we drop the drivetrain if i want but i havent decieded yet. im pretty excited as of now. i know we'll run into some unexpected things going through the engine and tranny but he is a pretty skilled guy so im looking forward to it. i have enjoyed ever minute of it so far haha anyways here are some pics from this morning will take more when i drop the stuff tomorrow. thanks guys you've been a ton of help so far!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:11 pm 
WB Contributor

Keep them pics coming ! Its good to see young people interested in buggys instead of trouble !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 pm 

Hey man I also live in cinci looks like a good old buggy
LIke the frame looks like a good hill climbing buggy lol if you need any help Ive been messin around with these buggies for years I could give you a hand and some guidance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:19 pm 

update for today. today was good had a bunch of fun. started with pullin the other seat out then got the old seatbelts out and threw them away. after that i disconnected everything i needed to so i could get the engine out. dropped that out first then did the transmission. all went pretty smoothly. had a few pain in the ass bolts but nothing that didnt come out. after i dropped that i went on and removed the pedal assembly. they actually feel good gonna clean em up and see how they are. then i took the cnc turning break out and that feels reallty good so will probably reuse that just clean up the little surface rust on it. only stuff left on the frame is the front end, steering wheel, wiring harness and lights and gas tank. really would like to sand blast the frame and give it a new paint job but not sure if i'll do it or not. anyways it was a pretty productive day but i leave for vacation tomorrow and dont get back till next saturday so while im gone my uncle is going to look at the trans if he has time so we'll see what happens. im happy with how its all gone so far. anyways heres the pics:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:21 pm 

i even resized the images to 640x480 and tried and twice and its cutting them off really bad and makin me mad haha. and i still got to pack my bag so here is a link to my album its the top 12 images that are the new ones for today thanks guys!
http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t44 ... 3/Offroad/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:21 pm 

RMFD wrote:
Hey man I also live in cinci looks like a good old buggy
LIke the frame looks like a good hill climbing buggy lol if you need any help Ive been messin around with these buggies for years I could give you a hand and some guidance

cool man thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:57 pm 

good looking old buggy, alot better then my first on haha it was in pieces when i got it lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:02 pm 
BOTM Winner

Nice fun Project for you! You allready have it almost all the way apart, so I recommend stripping it all the way down and painting it. You will be very glad you did once it goes back together. If you can swing it money wise have it powder coated. keep us posted. Also you can find a lot of usefull info using the sites search function.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:55 pm 

so im back from vacation. talked to the uncle and we are going to get it sandblasted and then powdercoated. just have to find some places around cincinnati that do it and it should go there fairly soon. will keep updated

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:56 pm 

I've had two frames blasted and powder coated at Aesthetic Finishers in Piqua. They definitely aren't the cheapest but they do a really nice job and have a ton of colors to choose from. I spent about $1000 for each frame. I'm sure you can find someone to do it around the $500-600 range but I'm not sure where.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:26 pm 

have an update. we decided to hold off on the powder coating and get everything else going which makes sense. anyways over the weekend we took the tranny down to the garage to look at it and we have all the gears and everything is in good working order, only thing that was froze up a little was the shift linkage shaft thing not sure what to call it haha but it loosened right up and everything worked great. so when we got home
we took the tins off the engine and cleaned out the rodents nests that had been in there and got the jug tins put back on and took off some of the other stuff we are replacing. then we ordered a bunch of parts yesterday.
we ordered new brake calipers new brake hoses, we have lines at the shop so no need to order them. had to get a new shift linkage coupler, got the alternater conversion kit, new plugs, wires, new ignition kit. a new clutch because he didnt like the old one, got a new shifter. got a new weber 40 idf carb, new throttle cable. got a gasket set for the carb and intake and got new intake boots. new weber air filter. cant remeber if we got anything else but will put up pics when the order comes i'm pretty excited

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:04 am 
WB Contributor

you know lookin back at your pics now, i think that you allready have a weber 40 on there! and that linkage sucks! cb performance sells a kit to eliminate that! you'd have to see mine to know what im talkin about , but if your not totally 100% paid for in parts to someone maybe you can save your self some money by rebuilding that carb and what not :idea: did you get my message with number? if not its 821-6620, call me i'll stop by and give you what advice i can, cause ive learned the real exxpensive way :mrgreen: but your headed in the right direction and that could be a great starter buggy. aint no tellin what size that motor might be either :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 pm 

diamonddav wrote:
you know lookin back at your pics now, i think that you allready have a weber 40 on there! and that linkage sucks! cb performance sells a kit to eliminate that! you'd have to see mine to know what im talkin about , but if your not totally 100% paid for in parts to someone maybe you can save your self some money by rebuilding that carb and what not :idea: did you get my message with number? if not its 821-6620, call me i'll stop by and give you what advice i can, cause ive learned the real exxpensive way :mrgreen: but your headed in the right direction and that could be a great starter buggy. aint no tellin what size that motor might be either :wink:

hey sorry i'm just now getting back on, but anyways it did have a weber 40 on it and thats what we got agian, just figured it would be the easiest way and he liked the one that was on it before. and we did discuss rebuilding the carb and he just didnt want to mess with the headache of doing it haha he is stuborn. i did get your message i'll have to call you sometime. we did get all of the parts in this week and the plan is to get it all back together tomorrow so i'm pretty excited to get her goin. and yeah i really like the buggy but gotta remeber its still his haha maybe someday i'll buy it from him

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:32 pm 
WB Contributor

dont junk that carb! and when you put the new one on if you have any issues at all with it runnin, i would take the jets out of the old carb, clean them and try them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:09 pm 

diamonddav wrote:
dont junk that carb! and when you put the new one on if you have any issues at all with it runnin, i would take the jets out of the old carb, clean them and try them.

it wont be gotten rid of haha and i'll keep that in mind if we have problems with how it runs with the new one on it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:20 am 

There is a place on Morgan road in Miamitown down the road from Off Road center towards Hoven that does sand blasting cheap.I think the name is Expoxy coatings his name is Ray good dude.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 pm 

oh okay will check it out

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 pm 

an update for anyone concerned haha:
The parts finally came in... well everything except the ignition. this past week i got the transmission, axles, and shifter/shift linkage all installed and in working order. put the new clutch on the flywheel...only to find out they sent us the wrong one, so I'm calling them tomorrow about that. we got the pedal assembly cleaned up and in working order. have the intake and new boots and gaskets on. installed the alternator conversion kit we got. have to adjust carb before i install that. and then not too much left to do just gotta run the new fuel lines and plum the brake lines. still having fun doing and finally realizing were nearing the end which means riding!!! i will try to take some pics if the ignition comes tomorrow but if not i most likely wont do anything with it....I'm running out of stuff to do. anyways thanks for the interest from anyone haha i appreciate it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i dont know if anyone suggested it yet, but rebuild your treebars. Check out some of the KY buggies or Gasmans, or any other beeline. You will thank me later.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:53 pm 

JeffClay wrote:
i dont know if anyone suggested it yet, but rebuild your treebars. Check out some of the KY buggies or Gasmans, or any other beeline. You will thank me later.

Whats wrong with the tree bars?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

They do not protect your wheels at all. Especially you upgrade your wheels and tires. Look around at some of them on here and you will get an idea of what I mean...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:45 pm 

JeffClay wrote:
They do not protect your wheels at all. Especially you upgrade your wheels and tires. Look around at some of them on here and you will get an idea of what I mean...

oh okay ya i have seen some that are bent up kinda and have extensions on em. thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:37 am 

hopefully gonna get about finished with her today, we'll see how it goes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:57 pm 

Made some progress today. got here almost finished just have to plum break lines and put some fresh push rod tubes in. we got the engine in and the wiring done. we were having trouble with the weber 40 idf carb. it keeps on hesitating once you go and press the throttle down. it idles fine and timing is set fine. for example of what it is doing, it is sitting idling, and you push down the throttle to rev it up and it just like goes silent, then a second or 2 later it does it. its just like a weird hesitation. any suggestions would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:13 pm 

got her all done today will post some pics in a few days. all thats left is to fine tune the carb, i love it already!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds