It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:53 am 

Ok thats makes sense. Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 am 

Ok so until I actually get all this stuff and put in, I'm unsure if you guys can answer this or not... but my buddy has some car axles that hes just going to give me. My question is there a certain length of axle I'm going to need?? And I'm still tossing the idea around about doing the modification to the car stub axles or going the chromoly forged route. How much of pain is it to mod the stock stub axles? Is it not worth the hassle?

OO and the other thing I keep forgeting to ask, and I cant seem to figure out until I start putting stuff back together is, I know the baja guys keep talking about needing a 10 degree mount to get the nose of the trans about the tunnel. Well since this is in a buggy and obviously there isnt a tunnel to deal with, do you need that? I havent looked to figure out if the nose is higher or not than a swingaxle trans. I have heard of people doing something like putting another shifter box on top of the original so the shifter linkage lines up I guess?

Thanks again guys!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:40 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you don't want to cut the whole housing out you can buy brackets and weld them in so you can mount the IRS swing arms in the swing axle housing. Good looking buggy you got.there are all kinds of routes to go and unlimited options so take your time and way your options out and in the end you will have more of what you need than what you want.a lot of times the eagerness to ride out ways and overrides the correct thought process and you end up buying things twice or spending to much money in the long run.maddog is correct on the car purchase as a way to get everything at once and do a complete swap to IRS.by the time you buy trans arms axles and weld brackets in you could buy an old bug and then get some of your money back scrapping it.the biggest problem I see you having is trans problems running the ecotech.if you stay stock then I'd run car cvs with the stock arms due to I'd rather replace cvs than trans.if you beef everything up around the trans then it becomes the weakest link,so don't be dumping the clutch on the blacktop and it should hold up.and since it's gonna be street for awhile stock should hold up if you don't abuse it and keep your width better for street.but these are jmo's and like everything else weigh through them and do what you think is best for you. Welcome to the site,nice buggy post lots of pics. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:37 pm 

Too late now lol, I just got my IRS rear end yesterday. So now I need to get some seal kits for the trailing arms and I should be good to go.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:07 pm 

Ok so how do you guys mount the bellhousing end of the 091 to the frame? The nose end looks like I just need something like a L bracket that's horizontal to connect to frame and vertical to mount to the trans. Now with the bellhouse end its nothing like the other trans I had where the brackets I have can bolt straight to the bellhouse and then to the tortion bars.

And wanting to double check, but when hooking the trailing arms up obviously the end that sits in the pocket isn't a tight fit, should I load the pivot bolt with washers to make sure that trailing arm can't move along that bolt or no?

I'm just wondering if there premade brackets that bug pack or someone sells. I'm already having to do a lot of customization and anything that I can get to make it a little easier would be nice.

Would this be what I'm looking for ??
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merch ... e=AC311220

And would this be something to use instead of using the 10 degree mount?
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merch ... e=AC710003

Obviously if I feel that the mounts (considering they are what I need) arent sturdy enough for whatever reason I can always go back and add extra support on top.

Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 pm 
WB Videographer

This kit plus fabricate bar to top ears on bellhousing.
http://carcraftstore.com/bustobugtransmountkit.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:39 am 

Ok thanks, and what about the linkage? Will it line up or will that second link piece be required??

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:09 am 
WB Videographer

blackoutt wrote:
Ok thanks, and what about the linkage? Will it line up or will that second link piece be required??

I don't like using that piece,I usually just bend the shift shaft in a partial "S" configuration to make the connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:19 am 

Glad to see another buggy in Waterford. Norris Racing is an engine/trans builder in Commerce, real nice guy to deal with. I am also just learning about VW based buggies and working on a few projects!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:54 pm 

Yeah hopefully ill have mine on the road buy July. I'd like to get some enjoyment out of it this season. I'm curious to see what this ecotec has lol.

Just curious, you know of any places near by that sell tubing for a good price? I need some to make a few support bars.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:20 pm 

blackoutt wrote:
Yeah hopefully ill have mine on the road buy July. I'd like to get some enjoyment out of it this season. I'm curious to see what this ecotec has lol.

Just curious, you know of any places near by that sell tubing for a good price? I need some to make a few support bars.

Pontiac Steel on University is your best bet for tube. 248 858-2350

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 pm 

Alright, thanks. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to get a price. But since your in the waterford area, Idk if your needing any parts but if you need anything swing axles I took all mine off. I got a trans and axles and drums with what look like brand new shoes. I'll make a killer deal on any of it. I know its not much but just crap I dont need which came on the buggy I bought.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:11 am 

What fuel pumps have you guys been running with the ecotecs? I'm trying to figure out pumps and filters now so I dont have to worry about it down the road.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm 

blackoutt wrote:
What fuel pumps have you guys been running with the ecotecs? I'm trying to figure out pumps and filters now so I dont have to worry about it down the road.

Do a search for Ecotec Fuel Pump.
A lot of past info.
Norm

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:42 pm 

Ok guys question time again lol. I found these on samba and wondering if they'll work with what I got. I have the bus cvs with car axle to another bus cv. Now these are the same thing(serve same purpose?) As the chromoly forged stub axles correct?

The guy that works at kaddieshack said I'd have to go with a shorter axle because when parallel with ground it would bind. Soo what exactly am I looking at here??

*Edit* I guess it helps if the link was provided...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1215757

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:41 pm 

I have done my homework so I guess I can give you a couple hints. :wink:

Axle and Cv info http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CV ... nd_cvs.htm

Running stock lenght arms with a bus tranny, 924 porsche axles and cvs will bolt right up they are the same as vw 181 thing axles stubs are 100mm too. Benefits... they have 22 degree angle 4 more than bus cvs..... see link above. As for the fuel pump find a early 90s ford with the frame rail mounted pump. Megasquirt actually recommends this pump http://www.megamanual.com/index.html (Look under fuel supply). If you don't have the return line fitting on the fuel rail use a 2001 grand cherokee fuel filter. It has a 55lb pressure regulator built in. The ecotec only needs 53lbs from the pump. Both tested and proven to work.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:26 pm 

Give the guys at ZZ performance a call, they are in Grand Rapids. Ask for Turbo Tim and he will help you out with a few things you will need in the build.
blackoutt wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:29 pm 

I also recommend welding in a mid transmission mount. The Ecotec's have quite a bit of torque! Take a look at my build, I have tried to include a lot of information that you may find useful.
blackoutt wrote:
Ok so how do you guys mount the bellhousing end of the 091 to the frame? The nose end looks like I just need something like a L bracket that's horizontal to connect to frame and vertical to mount to the trans. Now with the bellhouse end its nothing like the other trans I had where the brackets I have can bolt straight to the bellhouse and then to the tortion bars.

And wanting to double check, but when hooking the trailing arms up obviously the end that sits in the pocket isn't a tight fit, should I load the pivot bolt with washers to make sure that trailing arm can't move along that bolt or no?

I'm just wondering if there premade brackets that bug pack or someone sells. I'm already having to do a lot of customization and anything that I can get to make it a little easier would be nice.

Would this be what I'm looking for ??
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merch ... e=AC311220

And would this be something to use instead of using the 10 degree mount?
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merch ... e=AC710003

Obviously if I feel that the mounts (considering they are what I need) arent sturdy enough for whatever reason I can always go back and add extra support on top.

Thanks
Chris

Board index » General » Buggy Builds