It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rail Buggy Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:43 pm 

I like that idea Norm... and do agree that its the safest down below too... I may proceed with that plan... I will work on mounting below but tab up top as well and keep it that way till I decide for sure what I want to do.
I think I have some flat stock (looking at the pic it seems like its in the rail)... I might try to make something with that... or I may look for some laser cut tabs I can just weld on and go with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 pm 

Hey Guys,

I finally found the thread about the lights. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am a pretty easy guy to get along with and I stand behind my products 100%. If anyone has any questions, thoughts, or concerns please contact me.

17carter@gmail.com
call/text 330-720-4268

Thanks AJ Saul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:59 pm 

Hey AJ... thanks for chiming in... I was about to email you... Your light is super nice, has a good feel to it... I have been trying to decide where to mount it... so far I have gone with the lower windshield mount area (popular safe area for rails)... What is your experience with the light, can you let these folks and myself know things you have seen as far as durability? Also I forget did it come with a 1 year warranty or what does that look like. And what the heck are the rubber o rings for and the little Allen bolts? Guessing I put the O-ring in the end before the bracket leg and the little Allen bolt must go to that small hole and help keep the light stable (pic's will come of that stuff guys so everyone knows what I am talking about)...

Any way the weather was nice and I had 2 hours to burn, so I made the bottom bracket... tomorrow I will show you folks what it looks like with the light sitting there..

Also AJ... I have no wire in the rail yet... so the real thread I will do for you to show off how nice the product is will be once I get there and am able to show some of these old pics as well as the new ones.. with night shots.

I like it, real happy so far...

Pic of brackets: I need to grind on them a bit so I have even shapes, then I will round the edges and corners.. then drill and mount. More pics to come...

I know the flash washes out the pic some... will try harder tomorrow

thanks for the ideas guys... AJ thanks for the light... I may be back for two smaller ones as well... or at least one for the back spot... but I am buggy money less for a while so it will be on down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 am 

Few more pics...

looks OK there I guess... also in a good place for protection as well... I will keep it there and if I go to another rail frame consider the options... I will post more pics once I get the time to do full install... I have a ton of stuff to do, just need time and heat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 pm 

Thanks for the business!! As far as the warranty goes, the bulbs are covered for one year. (Although I will do everything in my power to get a light covered for you) I have never had an issue getting one covered!!
I have seen a RZR flip a few times with one of these lights on it, and the metal tab it was attached to bent and the light was perfectly fine. So as far as durability they are great!!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:24 pm 

I was able to get a few more things in and or sized up for the weekend (not done yet)... All in all it went well... I like the way things are turning out... quite rewarding at this point... Only one problem (so far) I am not sure how to run the gas cable (push pull design) need to figure out how long (how do I do that) and I need to change something at the gas pedal... its not going to fit so far.

Here are some pics... I cant wait to get to the electrical part...

You can see here its not going to fit as is:

Same here:

And here:

Looking forward to the wire pulling so I can see what I have... I like the LED bar where it is... but in the future I would like to move it up top like afterburn did (like it up there better). But who knows I may get used to it.

Let me know your thoughts on the push pull cable... I am not sure how to find out the length I need, and I am unsure how to fit it as is... unless I can replace the y bracket off the gas pedal with something else?

Looking now!!!

thanks guys... whit out help from you folks I would not have made it this far...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:47 pm 
Master fabricator

Just remember everything, and I mean everything we do with these things is a compromise. Knowing what compromise is the best for our situation is the key. Did you by chance power up that light where you have it now with the garage lights turned out? Hate to see you leave it where it is to find out there is too much reflected light coming back at you. Other than that, looking great.

G
A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:55 pm 

Thanks Mike.. No I have not powered it up yet to see what it looks like... I should be able to do that by end of the day Monday I hope... Or I guess if I wanted to just jump it off the battery I could do that anytime... I will give it a try... Were you thinking the floor my reflect the light back to me? I didn't even think of that... will let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm 

Few things done... I installed the console and ran some power to things...

I still need to figure out how to wire up the voltage gauge, and I think the oil temp gauge as well... other than that , I need to run the power wire to the battery... and hook up the reverse light wire, and start the brake light wiring... I plan to run the wire to the destinations... this way it will be close to plug and play as I go forward...

When its dark I will get some night shots of the LED... its really nice... I still want to add some smaller ones up front, and I want a small on for a rear spot as well...

I am not a huge fan of where the cutting brake is... the seats are so close I feel like its in the way... I was thinking of cutting the handle down or trying an angled one??

more to come when I get something done...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:06 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Looking really good. They way you have your fan mounted everything will be pushed down through your cooler.if a rock or big mud clod lands on it only way out is through it.if it don't sling it out it will chew it up.gravity is kinda working against you. Like your wiring ideas with the console looks good and really takes advantage of the wasted space in the console,nice work. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 pm 

Thanks Chad... I see your point... I may need to fab up a screen or in the future I might be able to at least get it to 45 degrease... I don't have much room... this frame is jam packed... I will look it over.

I tried to take some night shots... but with the buggy in my garage it cuts out a lot... but here is an idea...

I need to take one without a flash... when the weather is nice I will roll it out and take another set...

Before:

I like it ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 pm 

Guys, life hands us all sorts of problems that we are left to deal with... I had some damage to my car the other day that I need to fix (or replace)... Being that I am broke I think I need to sell my buggy to pay for my transportation... Bummed out, but I was hoping you folks as nice as you all have been can help me price out what I have so I can sell to do what I need to do... I have spent a lot of money... and that is part of why I am in this situation. Everything I have is new or close to it...

what can I do to have you folks help me price and sell my buggy (parts might be OK as well as long as I know it will all go).

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:49 pm 
Master fabricator

Man, that sucks big time. You are going to hate yourself if you were to sell or part out that car. Most guys are vultures when it comes to this stuff. You will be lucky to get 0.50 on a dollar on new parts.
I had a set of never used never on a car, never wet, never cycled coil over shocks, I couldn't give them away for .50 on a dollar.
If I had the extra money I would buy the whole car off of you leave it as is and give you a first dibs on buying it back. I would do what ever I needed to do besides sell it, bank loan sell the old lady :shock: (kidding) anything besides the car.
Wish you all the luck in the world which ever way you go.

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:51 pm 

thnx Mike... not cool... I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 pm 

Mike is exactly right, hold out as long as you can and maybe another option will come up. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:51 pm 

I have not 100% committed yet, but not looking good... Also some PM's coming in... If "IF" I sell I would start by whole thing first... or may do roller and split out the rest... my experience is that it you split it all up, your left with some high dollar custom parts that go for nothing... and I wouldn't do .50 on the dollar... I would walk to work first. All my parts are the best I could find for my application... there should be a market value... I just need to figure out a fair price and wait for a buyer... Things could change... I am looking at options.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 pm 

OK, what can I get you that will help you tell me what to list the buggy for? (not part by part, but whole or roller minus eng. trans and some other parts?

not saying I am committed, but still want to post it for now... I can say no if I want to...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:31 pm 
WB Contributor

Man, I hate to see you going through such hard times. I know the feeling still looking for a job. I would ask $3,500.00 and see what you get. I know what the shocks cost :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 pm 

I wouldn't sell for that... this isn't going to work out I see... here is some quick info I jotted down...

Info:
Custom frame, reinforced (mix of 1.5 120 DOM and 1 inch 120 DOM) Half inch diamond plate floors.

Bus torsion modified to fit Avery Air Cools Dual Pivot arms... with Race Prepped 930's and chromo shafts (arms are 3x3) all sealed bearings.

Wilwood 4 piston brake set (rear only)

Fox coil over shocks (7/8 shaft) with eibach springs

Baird limit straps

CNC pedals, and cutting brakes

Wired for street but will need lights for signals and a turn signal switch (Rebel Wire Harness) All in custom center console

Aluminum external oil cooler in an enclosure with pushloc AN fittings and race hose

Ball joint front beam (all new rebuild) with KYB shocks

Optima battery with optima battery mount.

Billet switch box with 3 auto meter gauges and 2 etched idiot lights and 4 triple sand sealed switches.

High Back Poly Seats with Crow seat restraint (only driver)

12 inch buggy steering wheel

30 inch LED light bar (dual row)

4 lug front wheel with 3 rib tires (15x6) and 15x31 uncut firestones on 10 inch wide five rims (rear are powder coated black - Front need paint)

3 rib bus trans

2165 stroked VW motor all forged parts... scat crank, forged pistons and cyl. CB performance H beams, CB performance CNC heads with Brother machine port work and matched intake (lot of money here). 44 HMPX Carbs with K&N filters, W110 cam (woods buggy) compression is 9.6.1. JayCee leak proof pushrod tubes. CP perf push rods. New in box Bosh alt kit, with CB performance turbo backing plate. Chrome 36 horse fan shroud with CYL tins and cooler cover. Flame thrower coil, 009 distributer and electronic ignition. Scat Pro Street 707 1.25:1 rockers with HD adjusters and CP performance lash caps. Super Oil Pump. Full Flowed Case (all AN fittings).

I might be forgetting things... this rail has been a build for me for about a year and a half... I have done all the work, its really nice, however as it sits, it still needs work too...
needs:
valve geometry
brake lines and switch
Fuel lines
Case has hairline crack near the opening of the full flow spot (some say JB weld, Some say weld)

the rest is bolt and go...

reason for sell after working my ass off for going on 2 years... Had some crap on the road hit my car while driving... it did enough damage that I need to have it fixed so it looks like it did... and I think its time to liquidate debt (most of which is due to this buggy) I can hold off and keep the buggy but I think I need to get the money back and move on...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 am 
WB Contributor

My number was based on rolling chassis with no motor and no trans or drive line. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's not going to bring what is invested. That's why I have always parted out or transferred parts to my next build.

I do understand I can hold out another three months then I may have to sell my trailers and the last thing to go will be the buggy if I can help it.

What would you sell the light bar for? $$ I could use one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:04 am 

I'd sell the chassis as a roller, the engine and transmission separately, the rear shocks could be sold separately and replaced with used air shocks or a steel bar to keep it a roller. All the accessories, like light bar, battery, pedals etc, could be sold separately. That's about the only way you'll get much out of it.

Option two: you could sell the engine, rear shocks and light bar. This should get you several thousand. Keep the rest and once you rebound in a year or two continue on. Or just replace the engine with a $500 aircooled and the shocks with airbags or air shocks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 pm 
WB Contributor

WALK TO WORK :evil: you will hate your self if you sell that! what about good ole mom and dad :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:02 pm 

Ha Dave... I am Dad... this all being part of it... I will let you folks know what I decide... I don't need to make money and know used is used even if its fresh out of the box (or even still in the box for that matter) but I know what I have into this thing... some of it was spent foolishly... but all in all we gotta do what we gotta do...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:51 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Another idea.. Finish the buggy and drive the buggy to work.. My buggy was my primary transportation for many months.. Summer is coming and it is warming up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:05 pm 

Nah buddy its not a matter of cant drive... I had some damage to my car... I decided to trade it in instead of having it fixed... Now I have a much bigger payment and would like to pay it down is all. I have not decided 100% as of yet... but right now it would seem like liquidating the buggy to pay down debt makes the most sense... long as I can do it in a fair way... I like this buggy though, its come together real nice... and like I said the parts are top shelf... I have been on the other side though I know folks love it when someone splits up there car cause they think they get to take advantage of the situation... not like that for me... I will keep it for as long as it takes to get a fair price (whatever that is) out of it... I don't mind splitting it up for roller and motor and trans... plus remove some odds and ends... but no way I will give the stuff away... I have time to act on this... so I may even get it running first and enjoy it for a bit... who knows ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds