It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:53 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hunter's Buggy Build
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:48 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

So are you still planning on racing or just building it to play in the woods now.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:02 pm 

What about putting a car torsion back in ? You can do it .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:09 pm 

I could, how difficult would it be?

GASMAN- Racing it, there is different classes, its just the stock class requires the least amount of $ and is good for starting out. But then again so it buying a complete buggy instead of building one 8) .

Also, i got some work done on the buggy frame, got most of my right tree bars and the right horizontal bars on the side above the tree bars. The paint peeled right off the tree bars really nice because he only had one coat of paint of them. The frame is a different story though because it was: steel tube, blue,gray,red,black... :roll: so i think i might be the first person to actually strip it down and do it the right way. Also its looking mighty shiny :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 pm 

¡Hola Seńior!

Just build that 1641 and run the next class up.... it has a max engine size of 1650cc (at least that is what i read)... then you should be all good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:01 pm 
WB Contributor

when you get tired of the dust from grinding go to the hardware store and get you some aircraft stripper, brush it on and watch the paint run off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:29 am 

Its not really the dust that gets old, its more of the wire from wirewheels being thrown into your face. I wish i had a sand blaster, that would be awesome. Never head of the air craft stripper though. I started wearing a mask, but then i got sick of my goggles fogging up so i took it off. I'm thinking im going to get a friend to come over, buy a case of Monster and sit back and have one guy working on either side and get it done in one night. Having a co-pilot has its perks. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sandblaster makes ahellova mess too. Face sheild will keep it out of the skin. I also wear a loose denim shirt to catch those suckers :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I know that your young,but you don't have to be dumb :shock: .do not use a wire wheel without safety glasses of some kind.a face shield is better but at least glasses.I know we've all done it at some point but I watched this video of a guy that put a brand new wire wheel on and spun it just after tightening it up.everybody hits the trigger checks it out then puts glasses on right,well when he hit the trigger a wire flew out straight in the eye.not only did he loose his sight in that eye but got a severe infection and lost the eye completely.damn near died from the infection.so in my older trying to be wiser days I've really tried to practice this.WEAR PROPER PPE.now I sound like the safety committee,lol.seriously wear some glasses at least.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 pm 

Nitro how do you get the tight angles where your grinder can't get?

And yea i wear safety glasses, my eyes are bad enough as it is. I had 1 close call with welding slag where it hit the bottom of my eye lit, i got really lucky and it actually did burn the eyelid but still thats close enough. Wasn;t even me chipping slag either, it was my shop teacher. :roll:

Worst thing ive gotten in my eyes is prolly gas. and yes it did burn like a mother. I was putting my drain tube back on my quad and pulled the tube in between the upper case and the carb and it flicked and threw a buncha gas in my eyes and i ran over to the house pretty quick tring to stop the burning. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Hey Hunter.. This might be a great donor car.. You can get the engine and extra trans, CV joints and axles, front and rear brakes, front beam and complete suspension..

I live in the same ZIP and can check it out for you if you are interested..

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/2848089044.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 pm 

Thanks mickey but i think im just going to go the Fegleys (a semi local buggy guy) and see what he has engine wise. Maybe if i could drive and had a trailer and stuff but, its just pretty inconvient for me and you both. I would look into it if it was closer though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm 
WB Contributor

with the way the heaters work in those things im not surprised it burnt up (gasoline and a spark plug under the dash)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:48 pm 
Global moderator

181 has the bus stub axles too and bus tranny I think and a special ball joint front end

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:03 pm 

Well not too much progress from the last time.
I dropped the floor pan out, pulled the oil cooler/filter,battery "box",lower firewall, and got some more wire wheeling done, its slow going with me working 4 days a week,and school and a friend just got a ps3 so i have been playing alot with him, but soon hope to be hitting it 3+ days per week.

Wire Wheeled:
top cage
right tree bar
some of the rear X and just spots here and there. My goal is to have it completely stripped in 2 weeks, but that depends on school and other stuff.

I have about 800 sitting for an engine, but still have not called Fegly (semi-local buggy guy).

Steps are as follows:
Get it stripped (paint)
Paint frame up
Re-wire it (maybe, undecided so far)
tranny
engine
re assemble
get it rolling
steering

And i have come to a conclusion: This WILL BE DONE BY JUNE. I don't care, before it was up in the air, but i have made my decision. I will work 3x as hard if that's how it needs to be.

Last edited by Hunter71495 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:10 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
Keep up the good work hunter !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:47 pm 

Just to update everyone, I will not be racing this season... :( Apparently you are required to have a drivers license and will have that in October I guess its better in the long run, more time to work on it and more cash to work with. Well life got a little bit crazy in the last month, i bought a car, got my permit, cleaned the garage (took forever and still isn't done), and didn't get very much buggy work done. Well now that life cooled down a bit i can get more work done, still working on paint removal. (New wire-wheel) I was messing with my rear arms and i just don't understand how to get them off, i need to pick up a 36mm wrench for axle nuts so i can get drums, backplates, stubs.
Then im seriously considering buying a 3 rib tranny and just biting the bullet and buying the 930 cv's with new axles + 3x3 trailing arms. I'm looking at about 1300 that was but its going with the best cv out there.
Otherwise i could just throw some 2x3 arms on there and buy type 2 cv's and new axles. With that im looking at about 600.
Currently im set up to run a sedan tranny with sedan cv on inside and a type 2 on the outside.
Not really sure and since im very indesive i will prolly change my mind again.

Still no engine... i texted Craig today asking and he didn't even text back so im pretty much thinking that's a dead end.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 pm 

Its been awhile i know. Getting back in the garage though, once my air compressor is all set up and ready to go im going to pick up a sand blaster. That will make it go alot quicker. All of my wiring was pulled a few months back along with the brake lines and the steering column. Took my front beam apart and had some trouble getting it back in. Found out some new ideas though and will try them. As far as the rear trailing arms, they still need to come off. I got a 36mm socket, came home and turns out i have bus stubs. Well that means 46mm or 1 13/16". Once i get my compressor going prolly going to pick up some more air tools to add to the madness. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 pm 

Yep, im still alive. Havn't really been in the garage much. More of working and buying stuff here and there. I bought some (x5) type 2 GERMAN cv's, (x2) car to bus stub axles, 2 pretty new axles, and misc. cv stuff from KVW on here. Also picked up an engine tonight. It was from a 1974 bug that a guy was parting out locally. I was just looking for a block but this came with 4 pistons, connecting rods, cam, jugs, heads, and a shroud for 200 with misc. minor stuff.

Still looking for my entire rear stock suspension , or better yet a bug that i can just strip and a)scrap or b) sell/partout body and whatever i don't use.Need a complete torsion, spring plates, arms backing plates and drums(NEED TO BE 5 LUG). Also looking for some stock front arms and they can't be entended at all.
Looking for some 5 lug steel wheels (x4 star pattern) and (x4 stock wheels).http://www.mooreparts.com/store/category/9/356/VW-Wheel-Steel-Spoke-5-Lug/ If i can't find the star pattern wheels used i will just pick them up new.

Need to pick up some old gm/Oldsmobile seat belts for the latches for my window nets. I'm pretty sure that that is about it parts wise. Just need to find a few extra tires and some misc stuff.

Have a friend that works at the junk yard looking for anything vw/porshe that comes through. And he knows that i need/want.
Im going to try to get my sister to pick me up some window nets for christmas. I asked my mom to get me some new 3" 5 point harnesses.
Going to try and make a battery box in tech if i can find light enough steel in the shop. Also going to stock up on tabs and gussets.

I know it will be one of the last things to worry about but i think im going to run 2.0 5/8 shaft fox shocks. They are pretty cheap for fox shocks and are rebuildable. They are Remote Reservoir and are only 220 apiece. http://www.mooreparts.com/store/category/19/257/Shock-Fox-2.0-Reservoir/

I finally got my garage closed up and bought a 55k btu reddy heater. That should keep it nice and warm and get it up to temp quickly when i first get there.
Also picked up a nice 190pc craftsman toolset for on the buggy when racing.

I will get up some pics as soon as i get a chance. Going to be working very steady over christmas once school lets out.From sun up to sun down. Probably won't get too much done then but i think i will after.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:16 pm 

I got my new stuff i ordered. Bought some new black 5 point 3" lap and chest and 2" crotch strap. Also picked up some harness pads, window nets. I can't wait to try out my new seat covers, they are so freaking soft and padded well. Also go a neck protector and it fits great and will keep my head from bouncing around too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm 

been following your thread....

really cool to see that some kids still like to wrench on stuff as a hobby.

the work is def worth it at your age. lol

hows the progress coming???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm 

how do the window nets work? I mean most of the openings are different shapes... do they allow you to change something so it matches? Nice work BTW... thanks for the pics and info... looking forward to seeing the outcome!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:31 pm 

Thanks, kinda thought no one was interested anymore lol. I knew it was going to be slow progress. But as long as there is something. Engine is done and im going to pick it up and watch em fire it up on the stand. Money well spent, people keep asking me "why didn't you build it"? Well frankly i don't have the time, knowledge, or the tooling. So i left it to the pro's and put my trust in them. Well i got a car torsion and have it stripped down and cleaned up pretty nice. Waiting on my rear arm mounts because i hated the ones on the new torsion. (Car torsion). Also talking to the officals about arms and regulations on running +1 in length arms. They are chromoly boxed with dual shock mounts. I'm not taking my buggy to school to work on until i have those parts.

Also have my stock front arms and some grub nuts in the mail. Thanks KVW pleasure buying parts offa you.

So list wise all i need is:

shocks fox 2.0's with 5/8 shaft. $230 apiece x6
Wheels x4 steel aftermarket 5 lug. Star pattern
battery prolly red top optima
lug nuts
window net mounting
spare tires x2 or 3
spare stock wheels x2 or 3 5 lug
brake pads
some gauges oil pressure, oil temp, and volts
need to get my new rear drums, they are 4 lug that are being made into 5 lug. No idea how but the guy knows his stuff.
misc hardware.
would like to redo electrical harness while im in there.
paint

The mounting is actually pretty easy. Each end of the window net has loops on it all the way down the net on the top and bottom. Well you just put a piece of round stock threw it and for the bottom you drill a hole on either side of your frame where it will be mounted. Then just slip it in and weld it in. For the top you drill one hole in the front. Then on the back you take an older style gm seat belt. You weld main part on the bottom of your top tube. You weld the clip to the top piece of round stock. So what you need to do is just push the button, the back drops out and you just pull back a little bit and the front drops out.
http://static.zoovy.com/img/beltsdirect/W221-H220-Bffffff/sbb_vol1_2007/seatbelts/gm.jpg

As far as racing goes, they usually frown upon a size larger than 24x24". Just center the window net and you will be fine.

108 days :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:01 am 
BOTM Winner

We are watching!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 am 

And we are waiting :!: :mrgreen:
davehix wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:18 pm 

davidk wrote:
And we are waiting :!: :mrgreen:
davehix wrote:

Aren't we all? haha Finally got my motor and my mom is kinda pissed. Me and a buddy put it in the house :mrgreen: Yep, right between living room and kitchen. I will get up some pics once im done eating.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds