It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:29 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunter's Buggy Build
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:46 pm 

Well for those of you who don't know me, I'm Hunter71495 or Ryan. I have been on this site for a little over a month i believe, and on just on Tuesday i bought a buggy frame + some parts.

I plan of the buggy being done by Mid June to race in a local race. Since I am using this buggy fir racing, I HAVE RULES AND REGULATIONS TO FOLLOW. Since i used a good deal of the money i had saved up, i not really in the position to be spending a lot of money for a little while. Since i am a high school student, and work a part time job, money will come in a bit slowly.

Right now i want to do small stuff that needs to be done, but doesn't cost alot of money. Some such stuff is the paint-spray paint(in spots i need to touch up/where the paint chipped) and another is the brake lights(got busted off in last race) and other little stuff. I took 220 grit metal sandpaper to the tree bars/spots and just took off a little paint and other debris so i have a smooth surface. Eventually I'm going to spray paint it black(where needed). Today i took off the brake lights (broken to hell) and am going to replace them with trailer brake lights(the old lights where these type). The lights were wired up for just the stopping and turning function i believe. Two wires red and black, red-stop and turning, black-tail function??? I have no idea what the black does, but am just going to hook up the red like the previous owner had done. It will be fine since its not for roadway use. Give me your opinion.

Also i recently bought a Car tranny, 4 axles,4 cv's for $200 from the previous owner. My buggy has the car tranny mount points already in it, and that's what the old owner ran so we know the cv's and axles will work.

My frame consists of: Frame,oil cooler, all electrical done in it, 2 poly seats, 2 seat covers and cushions, 1 5-point harness,shifter and shaft running to tranny, the steering wheel/steering shaft, the part between steering shaft and tie rods(steering not hooked up), brake lines in place, the front beam, the front arms, the dash is done up (2 lights: 1 for oil pressure/lack of oil, and 1 for if belt comes off engine) a run switch and a start switch, I have all of panels(though i don't really like them, i have the old petals, i got 4 tires (no plugs, only ran in one race, good condition), new rear cage(built last year for $150), rear drums/back plates, rear torsion, and rear arms(you could throw rims and tires on rear and it would roll), and car tranny mounts.

Post subject: Re: Hunter's Buggy Build
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:43 pm 
WB Contributor

looks awesome I like the way it looks hunched up in the back ready to pounce. looks like you got a lot of good parts there. your best bet is going to be to fing an old bug to strip for running gear and sell/scrap the rest. I hope it does well and youll be postin pics of trophies. above all i hope you learn alot in the process so you can show another beginner like myself the way its done hahaha. good luck and hope to see some vids of it on the track.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:21 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Good luck and if need some help with it let us know,try to help if we can.would like to see a post on these races and where they are,plus a post of rules and regulations if possible,good luck.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:00 pm 

They are in central Pennsylvania.And while racing no booze, but you will pass people with tons of beer and other drinks :D. Like if you don't drink up there, they think your weird or something :lol:.
They have 3 races per year, 3.5 miler in June, Coal Bucket in July and the big boy race The 7 Miler in September! YouTube has alot of videos on it. It's more of an endurance race than anything, and its tight trails racing through the middle of the woods.

Here is the link to where im going to race:
http://lm4w.org/

here is the link to the rules, i know it says 2008 but the rules almost never change,
they have the general rules, then each classes specific rules:
I'm going to run in stock 1600 class.

http://lm4w.org/LineMountainRules.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:09 pm 

Also thanks you hpfreak :) i fell in love with this buggy before I even knew it was for sale. I saw pictures on facebook of it a few months back and was like that would be the perfect buggy to buy, and then last week i saw he was selling the frame for 900 but i got it and a bunch of parts for 700. It reminds me of a cat, like a spring under tension right before is pounces on its prey.

Thanks gasman, once i get it coming together, i need to look for sponsors; I'm defiantly going to wait until its damn near running before i even ask anyone.But, luckily my brother in law is a parts manager at a local Toyota Dealership and he is great friends with the owners and is like 3rd in line of in-charge, so i might be able to get some help :) We will see what happens though.

My only big concern right now is i was looking at the front beam and the upper arm was coming out of it, like there was a 1 inch gap and when i pushed it in the other side pushed out 1 inch. I think its because the arms are NOT secured into it and are basically just sitting there inside the tubes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:33 pm 

I started looking for parts to buy, though i won't be buying them right now:

Harness
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCI-9510B-Latch ... 2579wt_905
The harness i have in it now is a RCI red 5 point. But i need one more.

Tank
http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/pro ... ts_id=1853
New tank with clamps.

Need 2 window nets: I know you guys hate them, but maybe one of you would like to sell them???
Black would be my color :)

Going to get my beefed up spindles at a buggy shop in pa. Going to try and get my front drums/backplate there also.
I will find a used engine and cnc cutters. Find some stock rims.
Prolly going to buy new shocks(not too much but not shitty ones. depending on $$$ left.)
Battery from Walmart.

That takes care of most of almost all of the big stuff!

Then i just need to get tranny/engine in
Get shocks set up
Harness in
Mess with steering
Brakes ( :x i hate brakes)
Then pretty much just learn my machine and try to become at one with it before the race :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:07 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

sounds like a pretty good plan for what you planning to with it right now, but i might suggest trying a set of CROW seat belts instead of the RCI, i took crow out because i didnt like the color and bought some rci and they rub my neck raw and are harder to adjust but that just my opinion

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:20 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

That link I gave you for poskes ,www.poske.com.he has this big blow out sale coming up in about three weeks with all kinds of good deals with a lot of vendors.I'm gonna go,probably get your belts and window nets dirt cheap.check out some of the links like 4m.net,racingjunk.com,might find some belts and nets on there a lot of dirt track stuff in their classifieds.I know your pushing for cash thought I'd let ya know of some other options to save a little.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:25 pm 

Yea RidenRacer i have no life lol. I got to school, go to work and come home and research,research, research non-stop and i talk about the buggy so much, my mom is just like okay, cool, whatever, have fun. lol

@ Gasman, where is the vendors and all the stuff? Is the sale an online sale? Nvm i just looked it up. Shit i wish i was down there in 3 weeks :x

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:38 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I was trying to zoom in and see your rear brakes,after reading the rules I see no reason you can't run type 3 brake drums.it's a two piece set up and run a lot wider shoe for better stopping.who ever made those rules really knows buggys and pretty much left no grey areas to cheat,oh I mean improve on,lol.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:50 pm 

LMFAO yes they do! Hell they have been racing up there since the 70's :P

Also what is a type 3? type 1=car type 2=bus type 3=? a combo?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:59 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Square backs,notch backs,karma ghia,they run a little wider shoe.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:24 am 

So do you guys know whats up with my front end???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
The front end has two grub bolts and nuts in the center of the beam one on top and one on bottom . The spring pack has a indented mark in the middle of the pack for the grub bolts to catch and will center the spring pack and also keep the pack from rotating when suspension works .

Most likely the grub is not securing the spring pack and letting it slide . If it was me I would take the whole front end apart and ck everything to make sure there is no issues like broken springs and so on . Plus it is a good idea to do this so at a later time say at the races you need to repair something you know you can get it apart ( stripped bolts stuck bolts and so on )
Good luck
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
Pm packrat2056 he just bought a whole race outfit and he might want to sell some parts , I'm not sure but worth a try !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:51 pm 

Okay GIG I'm liking this idea, both of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:57 pm 

You will need a Fuel cell for competition not a fuel tank .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:03 pm 

How big of a window net do you need? I have one that looks to be about 18"x24". You can have it if it will help you out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:12 pm 

Calling bs on that hyde :P a few people run alum tanks over there.

Also i need to measure it aaron, i will tonight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:55 pm 

Hunter71495 wrote:
Calling bs on that hyde :P a few people run alum tanks over there.

Also i need to measure it aaron, i will tonight

OK . We can not run alum tanks in MAORA .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 pm 

It happens, thanks for the input though :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:50 pm 

Well today i got:
1 working Sedan Tranny
2 Bus Cv's (for outside)
4 Car Cv's (for into tranny)
2 front drums
5 Axles Free(Came with frame, forgot though)
Tranny Mounts (Came with tranny)
Hood to my buggy(panel) Free(Came with frame, forgot though)
2 bolts to go with floor pan Free(Came with frame, forgot though)
crotch harness for my harness Free(Came with frame, forgot though)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:25 pm 

I have some new information and updates. Those of you who are on the chat know most of his info.

After receiving those parts i was messing around and tring to figure out how to mount my harness, turns out it was done all wrong, so i ripped them out. That's when Nitro gave me the awesome idea of, while things are going slow why don't i rip it down, paint it and build it back up. This would also give me some more knowledge of buggies and have something to keep me busy on.

Late weekend i tore it down a bit farther: seats out, harness, upper half of firewall, gas tank straps, roof panel and front panel, my mirrors. All that i need to do yet is: battery mounts, oil cooler, steering column, horn, lower firewall,upper firewall,floor and the bumper. Next i want to pull the front end apart to make sure nothing is broke.

I bought a used 5 point RCI harness and a pair of used (but good) cutting brakes from the previous owner.

I have my wire wheels ready and then i will strip all of the paint off, sand it a little smoother, then re-paint it black. After that is done i plan on building it back up, and by the time that is done i should have enough for an engine and i will be in business!

Also i am taking advantage of my metal-shop class in school and making a tube notcher. I will cut up to 2 inch tube and will cut from 90* to about 170* degrees. 90* is directly intersecting the cutter head and then the rear of it will swing towards the notcher on a center mounting point(near the front) with a cut rail on the outer part. Though i am not doing fab work now, i see it happening in the future and im taking advantage of the tools i will NOT have at a later time when i may need them.

Here are some pics of it now and before:
a dirty garage, i need a gf haha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 pm 

so since i don't have the time for the chat box all the time... what did you come up with on the motor and trans? is there enything you need for the engine??? i took my old buggy apart and have some things i may want to get rid of.... I have an exhaust kit you could have for the cost of shipping. i believe it is 1 1/2" tube. it is rusty but it would get you going. let me know... everyone here has been where you are now at some point... just want to help out where i can. :) :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 pm 

I have a working car tranny: just using it to get a start, then eventually a 3-rib.

Right now im not really sure about the engine. I forgot to mention this before, i im not allowed to run in the stock 1600cc class. :evil: The reasoning behind this is i have a bus torsion ; +2 inches :evil: :evil: :evil: . When i head that, it just pretty much ruined my day. So now im not really sure what engine to go with to balance: ease of working on,power, and the price. I might just go with a 1641 and say the he** with it. Also i will need to replace my rear arms(next winter). I was just told, last week that the right one was bent out a little bit, wish this ******* would have told me this then, though he claimed to have. :roll: Yea, and im from Mexico. Though i still prolly would have bought it :mrgreen:

Board index » General » Buggy Builds