It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:32 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need some help
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sounds like a good deal,and as far as the 1600 goes,put a new set of 87's a 110 cam and with a three rib that's the best combo there is to cutting your teeth in a buggy IMO.good luck and sure you can find a lot of what you need on here.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:20 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Some other stuff to ask for....

Tranny mounts...
Seat mounts (if he used any type of rails)
Shifter rod and coupler
Steering shaft and steering bearing
Steering gear box and maybe even the tie rods
If you get the pedals, the cables and hardware would be great
Any electrical left IN PLACE would be great ( including battery cables, fuses, panels and switches)
You are probably also going to need a master cut off switch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:39 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Hunter71495 wrote:
Jesse i can't im limited to 1600cc. and yea im going to look for a 3 rib

Also i went and saw it and im going to ask a family friend for a second opinion but i really like it, its fits me well, price is great. He is going to start fresh with his new buggy and it getting rid of alot of the parts that went with his old one. The guy is really nice and one hell of an awesome guy. Like someone i would and might hangout with at the races.
He wants 700 for the frame and the new tires it comes with:
Oil cooler
Shifter
Electrical done in it
2 seats with cushions and covers
Brakes in rear are drum
Rear torsion
Rear end(rear arms)
Steering wheel
Horn
Passenger grab bar
Maybe petals???
Tree Bars
All the panels
Floor
Front beam a KING one :)
Front Arms

He helped me out by making a list of what i would need:
Tranny
Engine
2 spindles for front
2 back plates for front
steering brakes
stock rims
shocks
cv's
brake, throttle and clutch cables
2 5 point harness
gas tank
battery
front drums
and thats about it :)

The roller sounds like a good deal and if you really like the style that is a bonus.

However, please listen to what several people have posted. There is a ton of hidden costs in building a buggy. You will end up spending another $1000 - $1500 on the buggy plus the engine and trans will be another $2000 minimum.

Basically another $3500 will get you running with stock parts. If you really want to race this buggy, you will need to double those costs.

I am not trying to discourage you. I am just trying to help you make an educated desicion. I have seen LOTS of people start building a buggy and never finish due to time and/or money.

Everyone on here wants you to be successful and get to that starting line but it is going to take a lot of work and a lot of money.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:49 am 

2k for an engine and tranny?
I was thinking like 300-400 for a tranny and a few hundred for an engine(even if it needs a top end rebuild, thats fine)

What do you mean double those prices? I don't follow?
im just tring to get a start, not go all out on some of this stuff, will upgrade from there though.

for instance i will try and find a used gas tank
stock rims are pretty cheap
he might sell the cnc cutters later on for maybe $40 (dual)
try and find some good but used harnesses
batterys are like $60

the big expences would be:
engine
tranny
3 front end components
and the cv's

also tranny mts are in the buggy
seats are already mounted
shifter rod and coupler were left underneath of seats(so i could just hook up a tranny)
gear box or steering/tie rods- he might sell later????
im not sure on the petals yet: i would need to buy new cables and the previous owner welded it to the floor :shock:
all electrical will be left in place
i'm pretty sure it has a kill switch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:00 am 

Also i forgot shocks: i'm not planning on going all out on them, just something really basic.

All together i hope to spend $2500-3000 range.
I know when racing things break but i'm only going to race 3 races per year.
Travel is not a factor: i live 3 miles from the track, brother in law's truck+toe bar+buggy=transport.

not going out there to win, just to try and finish and try and not break anything. It will be my first year racing so i want to take it slow and easy.

so frame+parts= 700
engine+tranny= 1000
front end = 500???
= 2200 + miscellaneous stuff
so i have 800 for miscellaneous stuff

Also i know everyone on here is opposed to car tranny's but, he ran 1 for 3 solid races and had no problems?
He said you just can't jerk it into gear, just let it slide in nice and you will be fine, but a bus (3rib) or a thing tranny is great to have.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:27 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Quote:

i did not know if you was gonna build your own or not cause you can build a 1915 the same price as you can a stock 1600 but just be careful going with cheap used old parts thats where you get into trouble and start hating buggies cause it falls apart every ride if you get something old just go over it and fresin anything up that needs it also you can get a good used front end for 100 bucks maybe less i paid 50 for the last one i got also befor you decide on a stock 1600 look around for something a little bigger you can sometimes find good deals you will be happy you went with a little bigger motor like someone said even if you end up stock slip a 110 cam in it and 87,s and you will have a good strong little motor just DONT buy a junk motor cause you could end up doing a whole rebuild and be in a mess in witch case you might as well go to a 1915 for the same price

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:20 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

all of yall keep telling him to go bigger for the same money and normally i would also but i think he is wanting to enter some races up in his area and the class he wants to run has a cc" requirement, that is unless im the one that missed the whole point :?

Chris

Last edited by ridenrace6 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:24 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Hunter71495 wrote:

Chris

Last edited by ridenrace6 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:26 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Hunter71495 wrote:
I know when racing things break but i'm only going to race 3 races per year.
Travel is not a factor: i live 3 miles from the track, brother in law's truck+toe bar+buggy=transport.

not going out there to win, just to try and finish and try and not break anything. It will be my first year racing so i want to take it slow and easy.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:31 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

oh i took it as he was limited cause of money either way dont buy a old warn out one that ends up a mess just cause its cheap dosen make it a good deal so just be careful cause people wil put some junk on you fast to make a buck just trying to look out for you im sure we all have our storys of being screwed on some deal :lol:

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:07 am 

I'll chime in, it sounds like a good deal. I think your headed in the right direction. Although I to usually agree that building is not a good idea for the first timer, but with most of the stuff there and the rest is bolt on, its not too terribly overwhelming. Like DD said the stock VW stuff is getting harder to find, but a running old 1600 should be found pretty easy. I am guessing your going to be required to run a stock carb anyway, but the solex is really simple and reliable. Good Luck :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:14 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'm going to have to say if your going to spend 2500 to 3000 on it then I'd wait a few weeks and search for a running turn key buggy for that kinda money,you should have know problem finding what you need turn key running.seriously if you can think spending the time searching and saving versus wrenching and sweating I'd go the first route IMO.stock buggies are common around here for that money and travel time to pick up is easier than building,just saying look around a bit even go car tranny for awhile.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:15 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'm going to have to say if your going to spend 2500 to 3000 on it then I'd wait a few weeks and search for a running turn key buggy for that kinda money,you should have know problem finding what you need turn key running.seriously if you can think spending the time searching and saving versus wrenching and sweating I'd go the first route IMO.stock buggies are common around here for that money and travel time to pick up is easier than building,just saying look around a bit even go car tranny for awhile.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:34 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
For a young man that is still in school and working part time and say minimum wage it is hard to come up with 3 grand for a running buggy ! I would suggest if you can't afford it now buy the roller and take advantage of metal class in school and modify it exactly how u want and keep buying other parts as you can afford them ! And save some money to take your gf for ice cream now and then ! 8)

Gosh I read what I typed and I sound like a lawyer talking to his kids . :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:03 am 
Global moderator

It might take a while so enjoy the build as much as the ride,,,be creative,,,maybe use junk yard parts,, give it your own touch,,,make it one of a kind,,,,its a toy,,think outside the box,,there's plenty of time to custom fit it to yourself

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:42 am 
WB Contributor

im right there with you hunter im starting a buggy myself from scratch. I bought a complete car (with vin and title) and buying a complete frame kit for $600 (plus gas to pick it up in michigan). that leaves me with just the cost of seats and harnesses $300 and gas and filler rod for my tig $200. I know it wont be fast or go everywhere but if I can put my family in it and cruise down the trail I will be very happy and under $2500 when its all said and done. Plus the build is what I enjoy I have a very fast dirtbike that has climbed every hill ive pointed it at so enjoying the buggy is for my kids to do. I made a post for what i was doing and all i got was people telling me im doing it wrong I should go spend $4000 i dont have on a completed buggy that probably wont suit my intended purpose any how. I do aprreciate the advice but I probably wont post a build thread because I dont want to be talked out of it and I want it to be mine and not a colaberation of other peoples ideas. I say go for it you seem really excited about it and saving hundreds of $ at time is much easier than slapping down $4000 all at once. I hope it turns out really good for you!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:44 am 

Riden hit that nail exactly on the head, sorry about the confusion. Anothing over a 1600cc engine will be thrown into the modifided class, which means ALOT more $$$, that i don't have and there is no way i could compete with some of those guys putting new parts into their buggies.

Like i said before that idea would be ideal but, 3k is a long time to save up! I makes you forget what the goal is and makes you reconsider, and give into tempentation.

I really like this buggy and i understand it will be alot of money and work. I'm ready to dedicate that time and effort to it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:06 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
I paid $875 for my first buggy at a auction that was complete ! The engine was locked up from sitting outside in weather , we tore it half way down and figured it was the rings were stuck and came loose so put it back together , rebuilt the carb and it fired up and I ran it a year ! It had a 3 rib stock 1600 . Moral is deals are out there , just have to be at the right spot at the right time !
I sold that frame to my friend as a roller for 400 bucks and then he kept buying parts from me as I upgraded and now he has everything back on it and he has 800 bucks in it .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:30 pm 
WB Contributor

Look on thesamba.com. You can allways find good deals on there. You just need to becareful about the way you purchase on there. Paypal or credit card only. I just had freind that bought a set of super flow heads on there and never received the heads and cant contact the seller, but the seller got the money order and cashed it. I would have to drive and get what i wanted off there if the deal was good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:14 pm 

Nice dude :D but yea im going to talk to the family friend on Monday Dec 26 and see what he says. Then Tuesday im going to bite the bullet and buy it :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:47 pm 

Hey i was cleaning out my garage and i found 2 shocks from when my dad used to race. They are brand new and in the boxes. They were never opened :D I was so excited i ran into the house to open them up :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:38 pm 

GO BUY IT. Get it home work on it build it your way when you can afford it. You will know it inside and out.
The build is half the fun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:34 am 
WB Contributor

Look ..Stop it stop it stop it. I have read all 46 replies with all different opinions, now hear mine since I have been buggy ridin since 1971.I too have walked up on some good deals sold some parts made some money got lucky what ever, but the bottom line is bag your money up , start big stay big.These Nascar drivers are invented young so the can get in to the game now and win. There is no time for investors to invest in an old man unless the old man has his own money.Get your game on now!Remember the sperm cell that takes the slow easy way gets douched out in the end. The sperm cell that gets his game on gets to the egg.Go out to the hill climb. Does the girl want to see a 1600 or some ground shaking horse power? It takes just about the same effort to build a toy as a beast.But whatever a young guy does he must live his life by these prioities. God. Why God 1st? because he may have other plans 4 u . Education:Because this will determine your life. Career: because this will determine your welfare. Wife:The best wives follow a man that will provide for her. Family last: Why? becase all of the priorities mentioned b4 take care of family!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:43 am 
WB Contributor

Bottom line. You are going to spend the same amount of money migrating part to part til you get into the inner circle. Do like the sperm cell and go around 10 years of bs. I have a barn full of little carbs med carbs large carbs then moved on to fuel injection. I wish to God I had of bit the bullet and went to fuel injection from the get go.At the same time bag your money up and study up on Superflow heads spark plugs fuel clutches trans then throw your check down as a trump card when you are ready to make the move.Watch the big dogs rape a hill with carbs or whatever.Run up to the finish line and say "Hey mister, how do I get to where you are?"

Last edited by passat2800 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:02 am 

EEERRRRR..... :wink: You know this younger generation does what it wants to anyhow :lol: and honestly my mind is made up already :) I'm telling you, this was meant to happen... I mean im going to need shocks for this buggy eventually and randomly today i found some laying in my garage. I have been screwing around in that garage for damn near 10 year and never knew their were their until today. I feel this is not a coiendence(no idea how to spell it haha) but i know im using this just another reason to justify the allready demand for this buggy.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds