It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:59 pm

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The truth
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:07 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I would rather listen to DD out side of the box talk than the rest of y'all telling him how dumb he is
I look forward to his post ! This is what he does . Did Clayton tell yall all the secrets of the KY buggy? now imanagine if he had kept it to him self,,,What he is saying is the same thing said by many....The bus stuff is running out .Thats all .And I have had the best VW I could build at the time ,,,Made lots of HP,,,Was awesome ,,,Took me up some hill's that I could not belive ,,,Climbed some thing's that I have never climbed with my CD .Would I go back ?.........HELL NO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 am 

Doesn't your chain drive use a hard-to-get expensive to build Audi automatic transmission :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 am 

I think the biggest "TRUTH" in what Passat had to say is that this was a budget minded man's hobby in it's inception. The idea being you need two key ingredients: The chassis you built (1) and the parts you got from the LOCAL SCRAP YARD (2). Those scrap yards use to be full of VW's. I know all the best junkyards in the northern half of my state and there isn't a 3 or 6 rib trans or even an IRS torsion in any of them. In the last few years the "Scrap Man" has cometh, so to speak. It is gonna be even worse this year. In another 10 years VW will probably still work the best, there just won't be many left. It all comes down to what you can pull and put together on a budget. And soon it will all be ecotec's and suby's and newer VW motors. Front wheel drive trans' in the rear, CVT's maybe, etc. Passat just said he bought a replacement 175HP engine for $450. In VW speak that gets me a nice set of carbs (as long as you want the chinese ones and believe me those will be getting more expensive this year). The only truth to the future of this sport is the parts that are available to us.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 am 
WB Videographer

rockrockets1 wrote:
I would rather listen to DD out side of the box talk than the rest of y'all telling him how dumb he is
I look forward to his post ! This is what he does . Did Clayton tell yall all the secrets of the KY buggy? now imanagine if he had kept it to him self,,,What he is saying is the same thing said by many....The bus stuff is running out .Thats all .And I have had the best VW I could build at the time ,,,Made lots of HP,,,Was awesome ,,,Took me up some hill's that I could not belive ,,,Climbed some thing's that I have never climbed with my CD .Would I go back ?.........HELL NO

I remember being so desperate to go buggin every weekend.
We would bust a 3rib practically every weekend then spend the next week looking for another so we could ride the next weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I didn't say build a CD I just said instead of dogging him if you don't like what he is saying or it don't apply to you or your situation the just say o well :lol: .....And MD me too I can remember breaking loading up to go ride ,Change trany in the woods sometime twice a weekend :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:30 pm 
WB Contributor

lngtrvl2332 wrote:
davehix wrote:
i didnt think it sound to bad there.
passat2800 wrote:
Wow. That was 2 springs ago. That day the plugs were fouling out and I didn't know why.They would last about 15 hours. Later, after the Wilburn's competition, a mechanic told me it's because I was only running 1 o2 sensor.As time went on I had radiator fan problems with no temp gauge and after about 10 overheats the motor started getting tired.But , got a fresh one this year for $450 plus tax.

Agreed there. I like it. What transmission and gearing you running to put power to 40's without going XPLODE :?: I like the T-Bird Wheels.

The passats, jettas and new beetle trans have around 20 different ratios ,same as autos.There is a chart on google with o2A trans. The Continental rear diff comes in 3 different ratios.My gearing with a rear diff 321:1 comes out to about a 700:1 1st , 550 2nd and 390 3 rd.4th and 5 th I don't know.(now this is not the actual ratio but it is comparing to a 5:38 bus trans pulling power.) But I know 5th will do 75 mph fast and easy.Saw Firebug flip today at Fultondale.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:34 am 

There is also a matter of ability that is left out of this discussion. I can dream up some crazy chit but I don't have the ability to build it. I wanted a Northstar V8 & transaxle turned sideways with one axle feeding power to my Jag IRS & the other driving a early 90's 4WD Chevy IRS up front. I can lay it out & build a frame around it but I have no idea how to set up the suspension for maximum travel without breaking CV's up front or U joints in the rear. I could spend thousands on a dead end project or go with VW for dummies style builds that work.

I work 70 hours every week & have my kids on my days off. I don't have time to re-invent the wheel & at 45 I'm getting too damn old to try.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Quote:
Saw Firebug flip today at Fultondale.

video?

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:44 am 
BOTM Winner

Ya me too... any vids???
jesse wrote:
Quote:
Saw Firebug flip today at Fultondale.

video?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:57 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I to enjoy DD's post (from at least 5 different personalitys though).build whatever you want however you want.people will run what they know and what works for them the best.yes eventually the vw stuff will be almost all aftermarket stuff,and or very expensive.this will force some to try and run other options.I personally don't see anything wrong with running wc but as long as I can and able to ride ac vw I will.it's not that I'm out dated or living in the past,I honestly have never heard a wc buggy sound like a built vw engine.to me it's like music to my ears to hear a buggy screaming out the top of a climb,especially at night.every things dead quite and you hear nothing but that buggy screaming out the top and when they stop it echoes for miles through the hollows.just cant get that sound from a wc,or at least I've never heard one sound like that.for me that's my rush.it's like going to listen to a cover band,sure their pretty good and get the job done,but it's just not the same.but you got to admit every time he post it gets us debating.84post over 1000 views in a week.good job DD.post some pics of these better buggies you build and then we can see what your preaching.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 am 
Global moderator

DD is in a league of his own,,,,kinda like Elvis...some vids coming,,,,but as far as my rollover ,,those were confiscated for reasons of life safety,,,mine,,,if my wife saw them :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:25 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Your alright though correct,you can always fix the buggy.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:11 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

I dont know why you guys always complain that water cooled is better than air cooled or visa versa. the motor is only part of your buggy, your suspension is another part, then your tires, and most of all your ability to drive what you have. I run air cooled. and i really enjoy tellin somebody that i have a type one air cooled volkswagon motor, you know the one like in those old bettles and right away they know what im talking about and they cant comprehend on how we can get that kind of power out of a little motor. now that is cool. on the other hand, if you have a water cooled motor. and you tell them you have such and such motor out of a such and such car, all they say is, ya my grandma had one of them cars :lol: :lol: just kidding. now i want you to watch this video, and tell me what buggies are bettter, air cooled or water cooled. i think either way we have a bad ass sport,

so you know what i think the truth is, after watching this video, it is 80 percent the driver not air cooled vs water cooled. so we should be arguing about who is the better driver :mrgreen:

Last edited by afterburnt on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Quote:
DD is in a league of his own,,,,kinda like Elvis...some vids coming,,,,but as far as my rollover ,,those were confiscated for reasons of life safety,,,mine,,,if my wife saw them :oops:

well what hill was it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:35 pm 
WB Contributor

The ideal frame to work with is a 4 seater and place the Continnental diff exactly where the bus diff was.Slightly crooked to help the angle of the dangle is ok.Use old fatter 22.5 mm type 3 torsion bars. Bug is 21.0 mm ,but not that important.I'd like to see an automatic.Piece together the whole assembly on the garage floor then see what you've got. Your front end will carry more weight now but that is a good thing when climbing steep hills.Radiator battery and gas tank goes behind and above the diff.When you get thru, your weight disbursement will be rite at where a chain drive is.An all aluminum ecotech 4 valve automatic mite be a good one.Lower the whole unit down into your buggy and build the motor and trans mounts off of it.Small motor , large hp is best. A jetta 1.8 150hp turbo would be nice. It already has a bus flange on the trans.To put all this in my 2 seater frame I had to extend my 3x3's to 5x14 using 1"x6" flat aluminum plate bolted to my 3x3 bearing housing.Use the bearring housings off the Continnental also.And use it's brakes and aluminum mags. Or just fab it for your old vw stuff.But I like big wheel bearrings and brakes.They'll last forever.Weld your diff up by some one at the race track.I 1/2 a$$ed mine and it exploded last summer.Or check into a spool. They make em for new VW's for dirt tracks.Remember the torque on the stub axle will now be tripled by the3.21:1 diff.930 cv's are a must!I took the cap of many a foreign and domestic diff's and NOTHING compares to the 8.5" Continnental. Not a Thunderbird!It is 7.5".Mercedes and jag have small fine teeth. Same as Nissan 300 sx. Your new gearring will be close to chain drives.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 pm 
WB Contributor

Well said Afterburnt.Hi Jesse.That hill was Beaver Dam or Swamp Hill. which ever one you call it.Would you believe the new Mt Busby is still untouched.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

soon as the weather breaks DD mt Busby will see action :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 am 
WB Contributor

Ive tried several times to get eveyone to go to it but nobody will go with me. I dont wont to hit that hill being over there by myself. I know that if I did get in trouble there is a couple of people that would help me while others just sat and watched. :shock: :shock: . That crap needs to stop, if you get hung up on a hill and people come help you out return the favor dont just stand there and watch. I pay attention to things like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:51 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Quote:
Ive tried several times to get eveyone to go to it but nobody will go with me. I dont wont to hit that hill being over there by myself. I know that if I did get in trouble there is a couple of people that would help me while others just sat and watched. :shock: :shock: . That crap needs to stop, if you get hung up on a hill and people come help you out return the favor dont just stand there and watch. I pay attention to things like that.

i have been wanting to get over to it as well next time im out their witch should bee soon we will head over to it and hit it and see what happens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:09 am 
WB Contributor

Bring a helmet and pad your bars and use your crotch belt. I'm serious :!: .It curves on the round side of a steep hill.And there are over a dozen very LARGE and HARD trees in your roll path.It's very intimidating when you look off down it. I think we need to put together a (3 hook)grappling hook.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:07 am 
WB Contributor

jesse,
i posted a video of marty flipping in trash talk under our ride at fultondale , its not the best one ever , but you can still see a little of it !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:52 pm 
WB Contributor

Back in the 80's we had low draggin buggies that would not make it three hiills over, They had dual carbs and every thing we got today but the trails were washed out. You had to go up, yank the lt cut brake, contend a ditch,yank the rt and jump a wall, get back in it like your life depended on it and GO.It was violent!There will never be another Chilton county.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 pm 
WB Contributor

OK, where am I going with this. 1st you COULD not have small tires. And you know why.There is not 1 mechanical thing yall have now that we did not have.The only thing that HAS changed is the terrain.We did NOT have straight up sling shot hills. Slate , Jack knife, Bluff, Kilowatt, Party,Black Dirt,Lynn Hill, Mandy,Bluff,they were make it or break it.I wish to God I could relive those days.When you knew you were not going to make it , you had to get mean!, I mean mad dog mean! and when you got to the top at 10:00 at nite and turned around and saw 58 looser buggie' headlites below, you got a high that nothing could match.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:33 pm 
WB Contributor

NOW... Why am I just now lettin this out? Because I have to vent. I'm pissed. Me and the wife had a dozen cool couples invited to come to our pool party but we felt we should let them go and invite our buggy friends. We did 10 hours of lawn and house maintenence in vaine.Grilled out large amounts of meat. 1 person showed up.Just slap me in the face.We bought this high dollar house under the presumption of entertaining people rite above the buggy trail.We even had lighting to illuminate the trees.You know what my problem is? I think too far in to the future.Every time I lower myself down i take a screwin.I stand on the mountain and throw the rope down to help someone up and what do they do? They grab the rope and yank me off the moumtain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm 
WB Contributor

Look. I am big on finance, I put airplanes in the sky for a living, I'll answer 98% of your buggy questions, I cut every dam trail yall climb out there.And hope to cut more.IIIIIIII do not deserve or expect ANY disrespect!!!The smallest thing I ever did was to find the parking lot yall park in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds