It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:10 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: type 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:07 pm 

hay, first time on here .has anyone used a bus for a buggy builded .i am building a 4 seater glass body buggy for me and wife and kids. it will see alot of on road riding and some trail riding when i can find it for the kids. any good and bad on the bus (74) i don't $$$$ for hi dollar parts. any info would help,i have the body and the bus for parts so far. thanks for the help james

Post subject: Re: type 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:34 pm 

West kentucky George has a bus torsion in his buggy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:11 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Welcome to the sight..w

I have seen a few buggies with bus torsions. Bmoore has a bus front end and it looks a little heavy but very strong.

As for the tranny and engine, that is a great set-up.

Make sure to post some pics of your build and do not hesitate to ask any questions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:34 pm 
WB Contributor

MickeyMouse wrote:
Welcome to the sight..w

I have seen a few buggies with bus torsions. Bmoore has a bus front end and it looks a little heavy but very strong.

As for the tranny and engine, that is a great set-up.

Make sure to post some pics of your build and do not hesitate to ask any questions.

mouse is rite. i have a bus front end and a bus torsion on my 4 seater, i have no complaints other than its heavier than the bug. it rides good and its very strong!!! if a light weight climber is what you want its not the way to go, but it works for the station wagon :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:26 pm 

i got my engine last week 05 chevy cobalt with 57,000 hole car for $500.00. has anybody use electric powersteering off a cobalt in a buggy? i am going to get the suspension this weekend. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Since you live so close to Choccolocco, you should bring the kids to the hill climb event on March 17th and check out some buggies.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:13 pm 
WB Contributor

Take a high speed grinder with the peanut wheel and grind your torsion bar 1/16" deep all around for water cooled.1/8 for air cooled.bevel both ends so you don't leave no edges.Spray paint it every pass so you will know where you left off.Put a big cresent wrench on it snug b4 you start so you can keep up with how much you cut.A 4 seater carries its weight further up front so do the math.My heavy 1 seater bus torsion has been carrying a buick v6(bad motor choice for w/c, too heavy , muscle, but bad top end.) for 10 years with no problem.The trailing arms bend easy on the outter end so beef them up a little.Don't weld near the rubber grommets or they will melt fast. Put the left bearring housing unit on the right and vise versa so the shock tower will point up instead of down.then fab some Genral Motors fwd '80's model buick calipers and rotors. The rotor bolt holes need to be wallered out about an 1/8" and a Cherokee flat spoke steel rim will fit the bus (narrow) 5 lug pattern after 10 minutes with a round file.The stock drum brakes will work because they are huge!1968 - 71 are (wide) 5 and will interchage if you use bearring housing AND drums.But if you do use any drum brakes do not have the shock towers pointed up or your brake line will hit rocks on the bottom..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:47 pm 

choccolocco sound like fun but i have no ride. you have a nice looking buggy.do you hill climb your buggy or do you just trail ride. thanks for the info, you know alot of tips. how tight is the bus torsion on a 4 seater alittle stiff or alot. i will box the arm in,the bus is the small 5. how the brake bias with the rear disk brake? i was plaining on useing 5x112 to 5x130 adapter for a good wheels choice.what do you guy think. :D thanks for all the help james :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:25 pm 

got my front and rear suspension today looks real clean :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 pm 

how do you post pic on here. thank's

Board index » General » Buggy Builds