It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: MadMike's Funco Project
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:20 pm 
Master fabricator

Sold off my first buggy, now it's time for a "New" one. I will try to keep up on posting the progress on this one.
What I'm starting with is a Funco SS2 single seater, built some where in the late 70's or early 80's. This is a light weight stadium/baja racer, not a renforced woods buggy. Some how I need to retain the light weight and make it able to survive Wellsville's riding conditions. The fiberglass body is in most excellent condition despite being over 30 years old.

The main area of work is in the rear and I don't want to piss anyone off but most of what I'm fixing I will call 'stupid'. Someone had the need to widen the rear cage, looks like to fit in a wider motor, perhaps a big stroker VW with duel carbs. What they didn't need to do was use a sledge hammer to do it, there are better ways to do it. They decided to cut it all off and this is where I got involved.

Since there is so much needed repair in this area I'm debating the merits of lowering the torsion housing down to the main frame rail, replacing the +5" housing with a custom housing that I will build.

So I will pose the following questions, everyone's input is welcomed.
1. Should I lower the housing down to the main frame rail?
Ground clearence and Subaru motor conciderations.
2. Should I replace the wider beam? And should it's replacement be a stock eliptical swing or a parallel swing?
The rear suspension will be air bags so there is no need for a torsion type housing.
3. Should the wider housing be kept, what size arms would I use running 930 drive line?
Conciderations would be overall width of the car and max travel.
I have my work cut out for me, suggest away and enjoy the build.

G
A

Last edited by MadMike on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:41 pm 

Make it the way you wont & be happy . Are you going to woods ride or race or all the above.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:09 pm 
Master fabricator

All woods riding. I'm going to lower it for the ride height. I never delt with a wider housings before so I need input from guys like you who have. Is it wider housing shorter arms or narrow housing wider arms for the best ride height and travel? And is there any advantage of a parallel swing arm, again for ride height and travel over a stock elipitcal swing arm? Could there be handeling issues in the woods, one verses the other?
I need to build a housing, when I do it will have the inboard pivots and the torsion eliminator incorperated into one. Got enough material to build 2 of them, only want to build one of them and want to do it right the first time.
Anyone need a adjustable, 5" wider torsion, PM me.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 pm 
Global moderator

I wonder what would be the advantage to the parallel arms. Unless you are chaindrive where they would have a lot more travel and need to be more parallel so not to become extremely cambered. You will lose some travel because of cv bind with parallel also. More fabbing too. good luck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:01 pm 
BOTM Winner

I feel a woods buggy benifits from the wheel travling in a slight arc. The wheel scrubs a little increasing traction. If you run the longer torsion then no need for wider arms only longer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 am 
BOTM Winner

I would leave the housing sitting up ontop of the lower rail for 2 reasons. 1. lower center of gravity. 2. your not really loosing any ground clearence, you will just have a flat bottom instead of having the the trans skidplate sticking down to grab stuff. if your going to build arms, simlify it by making them straight pivot. If you run skinny tires like boggers instead of wide tractors, push the width out as wide as you can to still fit in the woods and as long as you can to get the most out of them. You gain travel much faster by going wider than longer, and the longer the axle, the more travel you can get! My race buggy has around 20"-21" of rear travel and the cv's never see more than 21*. I've got a few ideas that I wanted to try with my woods buggys rear arms that I didn't have time to do before and it looks like you are heading that direction!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:18 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

My last non chain drive buggy I built had a 10 over rear end with 28mm SAW 10 over torsion bars and 25 in axles it was wide but it had the travel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:42 am 

However you go... That thing looks sweet! A little new technology mixed with that old school body will make for one unique buggy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:01 pm 
Master fabricator

That is exactly what I'm thinking, old school looks with a modern suspension and a 2.5L Subaru.
Should I call it "The Retro-Rocket" ?

Does anyone do or knows anyone that does graphic art and cuts vinal? Looking for a design for the body on this thing. Something wild to look at.

G
A

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:33 pm 

I can help you with the graphics. Email me at cmr.graphix@gmail.com and tell me what you want and ill see what i can do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:47 pm 
WB Contributor

MadMike wrote:
That is exactly what I'm thinking, old school looks with a modern suspension and a 2.5L Subaru.

Does anyone do or knows anyone that does graphic art and cuts vinal? Looking for a design for the body on this thing. Something wild to look at.

i could also pull some strings on graphics :mrgreen: my brother races pro quads and all his graphics are vinal :wink: so if u need something sick let me know!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:07 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Now you talking :lol: [quote="MadMike"]That is exactly what I'm thinking, old school looks with a modern suspension and a 2.5L Subaru.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:10 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

That thing would be awesome with a CD rear end ....Just a thought :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:39 pm 
Master fabricator

I thought about doing that Rock, just can't do it to this one. One day I will build a chain or maybe a gear drive buggy.

All you desing folks. Since I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag and have no artistic abilities at all. Come up with a design that works and I'll buy it from you. The chassis will be a silver/gray hammer tone powder coat to hide all the repair work and I would like it to be a dark blue base paint. Don't ask me what I'm thinking of, I just don't know.

G
A

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:02 pm 

I can't draw it but I see some nice silver twisting checkered flag graphics down the side with an offset one going up the hood and roof. Keeps with the stadium racer heritage. Just a thought. Also a RedBull Logo somewhere always goes great with those colors. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:38 pm 

That thing looks pretty cool. Any more chassis pics without the body work? I'd realy like to what the rest of it looks like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:26 pm 
Master fabricator

G
A

Last edited by MadMike on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:49 pm 
WB Contributor

I cant wait to see it finished its going to be bad a$$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:42 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

MadMike wrote:
I thought about doing that Rock, just can't do it to this one. One day I will build a chain or maybe a gear drive buggy.

All you desing folks. Since I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag and have no artistic abilities at all. Come up with a design that works and I'll buy it from you. The chassis will be a silver/gray hammer tone powder coat to hide all the repair work and I would like it to be a dark blue base paint. Don't ask me what I'm thinking of, I just don't know.

no artistic abilitys :shock: now thats funny :D ,seen to much of your work on here to beleive that.thats like saying bunny rabbits dont have soft little cotton tails. :lol: :lol: :lol: .i'm sure by spring we will all be drooling over this thing and a new botm buggy for the wellsville event.lol.good luck no doubt will be a bad buggy.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:39 pm 
Master fabricator

I had several offers fall through on this car so I decided to continue with the build. I gots to have something to do over the winter so I'm back on it. And I'm tired of riding bitch.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 pm 
BOTM Winner

Well It's about Damm time your came to your sense's there Buddy! :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:13 pm 
Master fabricator

Ya I know, what's another $10,000 buggy build.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm 
BOTM Winner

10 K for the Buggy build
100's of fun hours building it
The look on KY Buggys face when a Water cooled SS from PA whoops him, Priceless! :P :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:18 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Odyknuck wrote:
10 K for the Buggy build
The look on KY Buggys face when a Water cooled SS from PA whoops him, Priceless! :P :wink: :mrgreen:

I think you mean Kybuggy1. I hope he does it. It would be awesome!! I would be witness to a "FIRST".

I know you aint never gonna do it though Ody because folks who pride themself on how good they can trail ride (what a laugh, my granny can trail ride) are only proud of trail riding fast because they cant climb!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 pm 
BOTM Winner

kybuggy1 wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:
10 K for the Buggy build

I think you mean Kybuggy1. I hope he does it. It would be awesome!! I would be witness to a "FIRST".

I know you aint never gonna do it though Ody because folks who pride themself on how good they can trail ride (what a laugh, my granny can trail ride) are only proud of trail riding fast because they cant climb!!!!!!

AH! The thing is Larry, I have never claimed to be a Hill Climber! Personally hill climbimng for the sake of just hill climbing is really, really , really Boooooooooooooooooooring! :roll: Now a fast trail ride will get my attension!
There appear to be two kinds of Buggy riders. The ones that use the trails to get to the Hills and the ones that use the Hills to get to the trails. I know that I can not out climb you no more than you can out trail ride me. We both have experience at both however excell in our chosen practice. :wink: :mrgreen:

Last edited by Odyknuck on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Board index » General » Buggy Builds