It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Passat New Pics!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:32 am 
WB Contributor

I love that motor. Just need to go to air bags.ImageImage

Last edited by passat2800 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Passat!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:34 am 
WB Contributor

I'm tellin whoever wants to listen.Your a/c is awesome! I have one also. But if someone will take this and run with different suspension and tires it will be dangerous!That VW VR6 2800 175hp has unreal top end and the idea is just too cheap to build.I'm open to all replies neg or pos.Let's air out your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 am 
WB Videographer

"Air out your thoughts"..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:57 am 

hasn't this already been gone over a dozen time???? :roll:

Post subject: Re: The Passat New Pics!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:42 pm 

I like the dual driver set up.As for the motor situation,i started out with a stock VW and have slowly been getting into bigger motors through the years and the motor i have now is still a little radical for me,so when the day comes that a well built air-cooled VW gets boring i will try something different.Now ive been doing this for about 15yrs. so it might be a while before i change,but you keep things interesting so keep it up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks,I hope to have it all perfected by then.I understand peoples love for their bug.I love my a/c aswell. I'm talking about SOMEONE out their that wants to try something new. I will have air bags and a arms this winter.If you ride and love buggies long enough their will come a time when MANY will want something new.Yes, we have beat down the ac-wc issue.Comment on mechanical issues neg or pos on this post please.If this post ain't your game don't click on it please.Thanks. DD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:22 am 

ok how about some closer pics with axles installed?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:20 pm 

Give us detail on the diff. mods and new rear suspension.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 pm 
WB Contributor

You will have to weld up your spyder gears in whatever trans you use.Weld an old bus cv outer to the output shaft on the trans and thread it to 3/8 coarse threads.(You don't have to do this flange if you use any vw because they have a bus flange.)Run a stock bus shaft back to the same set up on a Lincoln Continental irs diff.Then the same type set up with the Porshe axles going out to your 3x3 trailing arms. The irs diff will be mounted exacly where your bus diff would have been in a traditional buggy.You will basically have a diff going into another diff making an incredible final drive.Use 1st gear on slow rock crawling, 2nd gear will roast my 38's.My vw trans is a 5 speed so 5th gear will go down the road easily at 65 mph.The Lincoln irs I have is a 327:1.So my 339:1 Passat ring n pinion is multiplying a little over 3 times. The vw trans come in over a dozen ratios and the Lincoln comes in 3 or 4, so look at the many gear combinations you can use.I've tried and busted many other maker's irs's but the Lincoln teeth are MASSIVE and so far UNBRAEKABLE.Oh and the lincoln diff has to be mounted upside down to make the rotation go forward. The gear shifter on a manual vw trans is 2 cables and a shifter . All you have to do is bolt the whole shifter to the floor and you are done.Same with an automatic.NOT putting anyone down!,but with this set up you don't need Kennedy adapter plate ,lg clutch ,lg pressure plate, lg flywheel,lg starter, slave cylinder etc.Loves 87 octane gas.No high dollar trans, no 4 spyder diff.I can introduce sliced bread and people will still want to break it off in chunks.I'll be glad to walk you thru it if you go this route Thanks.Oh, I did not have the extra room behind my seat like you do so I had to make longer trailing arms. They work but I seen an air bag set up and was impressed.So I'll make a looong 3x12trailing arm with air bags this winter. :) Oh. A retired vw dealer friend of mine said he'd rather go with a lighter power to weight ratio 1.8 150hp turbo.Just an idea. Go Honda Nissan whatever if you'd like. Better parts availability.

Last edited by passat2800 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:27 pm 

Good to know Lincoln alreay have cv flanges on it I read you first build post with great interest. I have picked up some MBZ diffs and axles for a 4x4 version.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:45 am 
WB Contributor

WOOOOW! 4x4! awesome!Are you going to use a-arms on the front? What is a mbz diff?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:52 am 

passat2800 wrote:
WOOOOW! 4x4! awesome!Are you going to use a-arms on the front? What is a mbz diff?

MBZ is Mercedes Benz. The arms will be off some stock small truck so I can use the spindles and hubs.
This is down the road as I have to make room for it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 am 
WB Contributor

I took the cap of 1998 mercedes and the teeth were tiny.I think fine teeth are for road noise. I use isuzu 2 wheel drive to make A-arms for people.With six lugs I can make 6 spokes for my home made rims.The mid 90's Isuzu would be my choice. Put the left on the rt side of your buggy and vice verse so your tie rods will be on the back. Yesterday, did you see that SUNDAYS RIDE post?Click on the 1st video and that set of A-arms I made from an Isuzu 5 years ago and it has 26 inches of articulation and are indestructable and have an awesome smooth ride.

Last edited by passat2800 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 am 

I got the MBZ parts for free. Thanks for the tip on the Izuzu parts. I'll have to check out Sundays ride. I'm going for the lightness of a rail but with the extra traction of a 4x4.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:56 pm 

I think this is what I need to do, I just need more details. The junkyards here are pitiful, so I'm somewhat limited

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:33 pm 
WB Contributor

I wanna see some mid engine V6 8 or 10 VIOLENCE!The cheaper ,the better.(I long since replaced the leaf springs with 40" trailing arms and air bags. Much better.

Board index » General » Buggy Builds