It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:05 am

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 7:49 pm
Posts: 277
Location: Huntsville AL
We got the second table welded up. Jason got plenty of welding practice doing that one.

Image2018-01-07_10-58-06 by Griffin93, on Flickr

We cut some tabs out on our plasma table and got the chassis mounted to the table.

Image2018-01-19_07-32-28 by Griffin93, on Flickr

We started bending and notching tubing. I've been notching in my bridgeport mill. I had a notcher but it broke. I haven't been real motivated to buy another one when the bridgeport is just about as quick and seems to do a better job. It will also notch anywhere in a bend.

Image2018-01-16_07-23-14 by Griffin93, on Flickr

It's really handy for notches like this on short piece that are hard to get a plane of bend bracket on. No problem with lining up their rotation.

Image2018-01-16_07-23-54 by Griffin93, on Flickr

It's also really easy to put a 1-2-3 block on the table to line up multiple pieces. Keep in mind we're building two of these at once. It's nice when everything like this fits together nicely with no grinding at all.

Image2018-01-16_07-24-16 by Griffin93, on Flickr

Angles are also no problem. Just swing the head. It's 4 bolts to undo.

Image2018-01-16_07-24-37 by Griffin93, on Flickr

We got the front hoop and top bars stuck on the chassis.

Image2018-01-16_07-25-10 by Griffin93, on Flickr

It's starting to look like something.

Image2018-01-16_07-25-27 by Griffin93, on Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:05 am 
Offline
BOTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:16 pm
Posts: 1511
Location: cleveland oHIo (columbia station)
sucks you lost all those pics to photobucket, if you remember madmike he also lost all his build pics on that shitty site. keep posting

_________________
**********"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
**********
**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni
**********


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 7:49 pm
Posts: 277
Location: Huntsville AL
It's been way to long but we managed to get some buggy stuff worked on the other day. I'm self employed so sometime I really don't have time to do anything. I own two different businesses and this year they have both grown a lot. Hopefully as this trend continues, I'll be able to find some more help and have more time for myself again.

We used my cnc mill to make the piece that the chain adjuster slides in. I actually cut the 1/2" slots with a 1/4" end mill. I was able to program it to helic into the material then walk around the slots.

Image2018-09-22_08-37-18 by Griffin93, on Flickr

We also made all the rear arm spacers on the lathe. I forgot to take any pictures. Once we had those and the chain adjuster tube, we assembled the rear carrier.

Image2018-09-22_08-37-38 by Griffin93, on Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 7:49 pm
Posts: 277
Location: Huntsville AL
I'm really trying to find time to work on this thing. We found a bit Sunday afternoon. We decided to deviate from the plans slightly. The chain adjuster piece is made of three pieces of plate and one piece of tubing. We decided to machine it out of a piece of aluminum instead. Like any good project, you have to make something before you can make the part for your project. We had to machine some longer soft jaws to be able to clamp this part in the vise as the pocket in the middle is roughly 7" long so I didn't want 6" vise jaws squeezing it. We machined them out of some 2" bar I had laying around. I slotted the mount holes so they can be turned upside down to be able to get more uses out of them.

We started by machining the outsides to the desired dimensions. Next, we drilled and tapped 5 holes around the perimeter. I didn't take any pictures of this going on unfortunately. We set the part down into the vise jaws and started removing material out of a large pocket.

Image2018-10-28_10-15-11 by Griffin93, on Flickr

I started pushing the feeds and speeds as I was using a 3 ft carbide end mill. I ended up at 4000 rpm and 43.2 IPM. It took about 7 minutes to pocket this out all the way through a piece of 1" plate. It really started piling up the chips. I ended up using compressed air blowing out of the front coolant pipe to move the chips out of the cutting area.


Image2018-10-28_10-14-43 by Griffin93, on Flickr

You can really see the soft jaws holding the part here. I really didn't want the part to get loose or collapse from regular jaws so this worked very well.

Image2018-10-28_10-15-42 by Griffin93, on Flickr

Here they are all cleaned up and deburred.

Image2018-10-28_10-15-56 by Griffin93, on Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » General » Buggy Builds

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group