It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:15 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:25 pm 

I am in need of some help. I have never had turning brakes hooked up in my buggy before.so i'm not sure exactly how to hook them up.
This is what I have & what I've done.
I'm running rear disc only from a vw bus.
My master cylinder is one unit with 2 resiviors & 2 out lets.
My disc brakes are hooked up to the rear of the master cylinder.
The cutting brakes are hooked up to the front of the master cylinder.
Then each side left/ right is run from the cutting brakes to the left/ right wheel.
I have TEE hook ups, The cutting brake comes into the tee first, then my main brake line comes into the middle ( TEE ) then the line goes directly to the wheel.
We have bled the system but the brakes don't seem to work .
Do I need some kind of proportioning valve or residual valve, OR do I just plain out have them hooked up wrong ?
Any input or help is greatly appriciated I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Thanks, Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:31 pm 

You need a master cylinder for a buggy,you can use the one you have?But you have it hooked up wrong<you need to run one brake line from master cylinder into turning brakes and then run a separate brake line to each caliper having a tee wont work hopes this makes sense?

aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:35 pm 
Global moderator

Hi, I am no expert but I can tell you how I did mine and they work fine.From the master cylinder go to to the turning brakes inlet then from the turning brake outlets to each wheel. This will give you pedal brakes and turning brakes. You might bring both of the outlets at the master cylinder into one line with a Tee , or just use one outlet and plug the other. It sounds like you have a loop in the setup you currently have. Any one else with better advise jump in. The advise in the reply above may make more sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:50 am 

Thanks for the reply's.,but I'm still confused, I understand I'm probally looping the system, what's confusing is both of you say to run a line from the turning brakes to each wheel ( left/right ) That I do understand, but I only have one hook up on my caliper, so how do I hook up my main brakes ? This is why I have the Tee ? Thanks again for your help.
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:22 am 
Global moderator

Hi, the turning brakes are just inline. One line from master cylinder (combine the two or plug one) to turning brakes. Then go to the calipers, one line to left caliper and one line to the right caliper. The turning brakes are the Tee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:36 am 

Thanks Firebug that makes sense a little better to me, I will try it asap.
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:34 pm 

Start at the master cylinder and run one line back to the "in" side of the turning brake. Now there are 2 lines coming out of the back of the turning brakes. Run one to each wheel. There should be no other lines. When you use the foot brake, it will work both brakes, and the turning brake will lock each wheel seperately. If yours are dual handle steering brakes, then connect the left side to the left wheel and rt to rt. If you have a single handle cutting brake, then I hook the "pull" side to the driver (left) side and the "push" side on the (right) passenger side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:44 pm 

There are also several different ways that people bleed em also. most of the time when you add a steering brake the brakes will become spongy. My advise is to bench bleed the steering brake, It will save a lot of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:19 pm 

Thanks everyone for all the help.It all makes sense to me now to have the sytem "IN LINE " I was trying to hook it up as a seperate unit. This is a terrific site with alot of freindly knowledgeable people, I hope I can return the favor of helping someone soon.
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:37 pm 

[quote='fgrir']There are also several different ways that people bleed em also. most of the time when you add a steering brake the brakes will become spongy. My advise is to bench bleed the steering brake, It will save a lot of time.[/quote]
Yep, they can be a real pain to bleed sometimes. I run the Nissan Sentra calipers and the bleeder HAS to be the highest point for the air to come out. Also, he can try to pull the steering brake all the way down and hold it, then bleed the calip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:48 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If ya'll want to save hours bleeding your brake systems, check out this thread.: http://www.woodsbuggy.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=237

It was posted before most of the guys talking in this thread joined the site. It works like a charm. I'll NEVER bleed a system w/ cutting brakes manually again. Brakes will be rock hard when you pull out of the garage and stay that way! (until you bust a caliper off on a rock or somethin! :twisted: ) Good Luck.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:11 am 

Thanks to everyones advise my turning brakes are INLINE and working properly . Thank again for all the help.
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:56 pm 
Global moderator

Another nifty trick, (one I still have not done) is to get a stainless ball valve (Granger has them) and put inline between the master cylinder and the cutting brakes. Push brake pedal and hold and cut the ball valve to closed. This is a line lock for parking on hills, towing on trailer, etc.

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk