It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:48 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:23 pm 

While I was looking around trying to find the ratios I noticed long enterprises has some different gearsets available for this trans. Anyone ever use any of their gearsets?

http://www.longenterprises.com/high_per ... _parts.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:50 am 

[quote='Griffin']While I was looking around trying to find the ratios I noticed long enterprises has some different gearsets available for this trans. Anyone ever use any of their gearsets?

http://www.longenterprises.com/high_per ... _parts.htm[/quote]

I have used a LOT of gearsets from Weddle (I have been building VW transmissions for 15 years) and if I remember correctly, LONG gets their gears from Weddle as well. These gears are REAL tough. I have abused mine for years wi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:44 pm 

Thats good to know. I ended up getting to keep this trans and get another one from the guy for a little bit of $$$. This new one appears to be good. I'm still going to drain it and pop the diff cover off just to look at it. I'm going to tear down the original one and see exactly what parts I need. I'm thinking I'm going to build this one with the lowest gearsets I can get. I'll eventually swap it in but I'll use the good one to get it going first. Then I can keep the nonbuilt box as a spare. I remember on my old rail with a 6 rib and a 2.0 type IV, I rarely used 3rd and almost never used 4th. I have a feeling having lower gears in a box would be real nice.

Eric were you the one that used to have the VW transaxle website?

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:10 am 

I started tearing down my bad 85 trans. Heres a few pictures of the reverse gear setup. The round thing in some of the pictures is a quarter for size reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:08 am 
BOTM Winner

It appears the larger gear on the bottom is the one that slides in and out to engauge reverse. Im a little surprise to see the the pinion is not much larger than a standard reverse gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:37 pm 

The gears are constant mesh. The larger gear is engaged by sliding the shift sleeve over the dogteeth on the side of it. It is then engaged to the splined section attached to the shaft. I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense. I'd take a picture but I already have the trans pulled apart farther than that.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:31 pm 
BOTM Winner

Griffin, Whats the latest on the Pictures of the trans dissasembled?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:32 pm 

now THAT is a cool setup for the vanogan. stock too... SWEET

thanks GARY for sending me this link.. what a cool site
good stuff for our HS shop class projects

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:02 am 

I've been waiting on my special sockets to come in so I can take the diff and pinion nuts off. They are proud of the diff socket. It cost me $115. The pinion on was about 70. I got them in Thursday I just haven't had a chance to get back to working on it. I'll put up some more pictures when I tear it down.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:26 pm 

I found why the trans was locked. 3/4 shift fork is broken. It looks like someone had welded on it at one time. I know someone has been inside this trans. The factory didn't use RTV. It looks like 2nd and 3rd gears have been rubbing each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:00 pm 

http://www.brandwoodcarsllc.com/csstore/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=45

Found a cable shift setup that looks like it should work with the 091 midshift trans even though its on an 094. I'm really thinking about going with a cableshift setup. I've even considered coming up with my own hydraulic shifter. I think thats probably a bit overkill though and I have to much to do already.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:15 pm 

Check this website out www.backyardbuggys.com this guy is located here in alabama and comes up with some really great ideas if this doent take you to it just google backyardbuggys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:26 pm 
Global moderator

http://www.backyardbuggies.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 pm 

Thanks firebug remember my expertise is not computers :eek: , but firearms :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:02 pm 
Global moderator

I got you covered 8) " over and out" :roll: Hey Griffin, ? something I don't understand is what is wrong with the factory linkage? I'm sure it is causing some sort of problem.=? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:30 pm 

I don't know if it would fit where I want it to and I don't have the factory linkage. Otherwise I would probably try to make it work. I've got a friend of mine that was telling me about toyota MR2 cableshifters so I will probably explore that option as well.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:26 pm 
BOTM Winner

Why not just go with setup that is tryed and trued on at least 6 buggys that I know of. Its what I will be using in mine:http://www.woodsbuggy.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=49

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:42 am 

I'm building a baja so I think that linkage and where my body mounts in the rear will be trying to take up the same space. I'd prefer not to have a huge cutout back there for it but that may be what I end up doing. Its less expensive than the brandwood cable shifter. I'm still going to look around at some other cableshift options.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:42 pm 
BOTM Winner

I see what you mean. A woods buggy is usally open in the area where it needs to installed. Good luk and keep us posted .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:59 pm 

I'm really interested in this tranny conversion, but after calling everywhere around me today, I only found one vanagon tranny and it was $850 and it had to be shipped in. :( Not to mention the shift linkage. Where do you'all find those $200 trannies? HELP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 pm 

ebay, the samba one of these always has a tranny for sale, here lately there been several vanagon side shifts.As for the shifter backyard buggies shifter can be made for around $60 dollars or so, its low budget but it works theres a link on this post to backyard buggies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:48 pm 

Found an '80 in Ga - should be here wednesday or thursday. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:04 pm 

[quote='sharpshooter']Check this website out www.backyardbuggys.com this guy is located here in alabama and comes up with some really great ideas if this doent take you to it just google backyardbuggys[/quote]
I was wondering if anyone is using the backyardbuggy Vanagon shifter adapter they advertise on their website?
I e-mailed them a few times but never received a response.
It appears to be a good,strong and simple set-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:37 pm 

I have rode with the guy several times it is very simple yet strong,try this cell#205-223-6638 the guys name is David but everybody calls him DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:04 pm 
BOTM Winner

Here ia an early 6 rib side shift for $206.00. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=460055
Note it has the same weak reverse gear setup as the nose shift 6 rib. Look for 1984 thru 1986 Vanagon side shift to get the heavy duty reverse gear set up. This series ia also the only ones that Turboblues billet shifting kit will work with.

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk