It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:19 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pictures for Hillaholic
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:26 am 
BOTM Winner

Hey Brad,

Here are the pictures of my steering damper set-up on my economy rack. We talked about this the other night on the phone.
To get the rack to steer the way it should, you need to remove the thrust plates from the bottom and grind the slot out all the way back to the stop. Note the areas circled in red.
Something else you should do before you put it back together is take the factory bolts that hold the thrust plates in place and throw them in the trash. They use junk bolts in these. Get a set of grade 5 or 8 bolts to replace them. Use blue Locktite on them when you tighten them back up. This will keep them from coming loose.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:33 am 
BOTM Winner

On the other end I just welded a couple of tabs in a double shear configuration. I put them right to the frame. Make sure to test your dampers travel left and right before you make your mounts permanent. It must be centered perfectly or the damper will bottom out before your steering hits stops. That is the reason my center mount bracket is angled to the right a little bit. The damper I used is off of a 1970 VW Bus. There are many different ones out there you could use. This is just a general guideline to give you some ideas!Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:05 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks Roy that will help. I meant to ask how you got the steering shaft to the center. I have 1 u-joint that slips over the splines on the rack. I will need another one to weld into the shaft. Do you know if I can get a weld in joint from any local auto shops or any other suggestions? I don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:41 am 
BOTM Winner

You have to support the upper section of the steering shaft somehow. Bearings or bushings will work.
Better get busy. Only one week left.

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk